Guest James.S

Guest steve the spark
Hi Guys

Trying to get some answers from Vetassess.Below are some e-mails between me and vetassess.WAITING FOR REPLY NOW.Have any of you actually got your licence yet? are you in the process?what are you doing?

Hi

Do you have a list of Australian Employers offering jobs to Provisional Electrical licence holders .I have searched for months now and cannot find ONE. Where are these Employers who have committed to Employing Artisans with an OTSR? This is a major problem for migrants and is causing great hardship for families. Please can you ask the Australian Government this question? If there are no Employers employing please let us know!! The system you and the Government have put in place is not working and many families lives and dreams are being ruined upon arrival in Australia as they cannot even start the Gap training or find employment in there line of work. Some TAFE colleges don’t even have any training in place and some don’t even know what we are talking about.

I request that you work with the Government and the training institutes to create a detailed booklet as to what our next steps are after receiving the OTSR. This should include the list of gap training courses' date=' which institutes offer them, how much they cost, list of Employers who support the OTSR, etc.[/font']

I am very disappointed how this whole process is being handled. Nothing is uniform and there are no clear cut answers. If you can prove I am wrong about this then please except my apologies, but if you cannot, please help us.

Regards

(ME)

Dear (Me),

Thank you for your email.

VETASSESS’ role in the process is to assess against standards agreed to by the Australian government, state licensing bodies, unions, industry and other interested parties. Our role in the provision of gap training is limited however and best directed to either the licensing body in the state you intend to settle in, or to a TAFE College which can provide the gap training. I will try to answer your questions as best as possible:

• The standards that you are assessed against are all based on the same benchmark. The Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) certifies competence to the same benchmark for all candidates. Having said that, I’m sure some candidates will be better than others and will gain the requisite skills gaps quicker than others. This will be reflected in the gaining of ‘competence’ in the gap training.

• I cannot comment on comparisons between previous and current arrangements as this is out of our auspice. This is a policy implemented by the government that allows people to gain a provisional licence (unlike the TRA paper based pre-migration application) while they complete gap training to receive a full licence. I am unsure of the difference, if any, in the TRA onshore assessment pathway (which is different from the pre-migration assessment) to a full licence and the VETASSESS OTSR pathway to a full licence.

This is a relatively new process and if you are having particular issues or problems and concerns, such as gaining a licence or gap training, we would like to hear about them. We may not be able to provide a solution however we will collate all feedback received and provide it to the Australian government.

Kind Regards

(vetassess)

To whom it may concern

1)I would like to know if the gap training is the same for allelectricians assessed by Vetassess or does it differ from applicant to applicant depending on their qualifications and assessment results?

2)I would like to know why if you were assessed by TRA you basically only need to do your Australian regs and can apply straight away for an Alicence? But if you were assessed by Vetassess we need to do all this gaptraining first? TRA is all paper based ! Why have they got it easier? Whycannot we apply the same way as TRA? As far as I am concerned I have done much more than any TRA applicant not to mention the payment difference.

I thank you and trust that you will answer all my questions.

Regards

(Me)

fastest way to get licenced is get an artc from the tra $300

workplace.gov.au - FAQ - for Australian residents

and do your licence in SA at per.com.au

this can be done from home and fly down for the exam or 3 weeks at adeliade

full licnece and start working ;)

yes its a pain in the arse especially if youve spent an small fortune with vetteses and have been presented with the next to useless osrt cert but at the end ofthe day with construction work slowing down youve no chance with a permit to train

ive posted masses of info helping other sparks on another well know expats forum

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

hope this helps guys

regards steve

Guest James.S
fastest way to get licenced is get an artc from the tra $300

and do your licence in SA at per.com.au

this can be done from home and fly down for the exam or 3 weeks at adeliade

full licnece and start working ;)

yes its a pain in the arse especially if youve spent an small fortune with vetteses and have been presented with the next to useless osrt cert but at the end ofthe day with construction work slowing down youve no chance with a permit to train

ive posted masses of info helping other sparks on another well know expats forum

hope this helps guys

regards steve

Great work Steve...

As i have said before the whole Vetassess cert is only designed for the visa, all of the advise you get from agents and such like is about the visa....

Regarding the license the advice is when you get here you are on your own..! The Office of Fair Trading is trying to change things so that all migrants on the OSTR will get quicker licensing but it's not there yet, so yes going down the PEER route is definately the quickest...

However.... the gap training specified by Vetassess as well as the Office of Fair Trading insist on you having 12 months on site experiance to get an A license, so don't think you can get here go to PEER and be up and fully working within a few months as you can't.

Get here, get your provisional license and then do the course, you have then 12 months (from starting work) to pass it, but my guess is that TAFE will have a new course up and running before then so don't jump straight in with PEER and ultimately don't panic..! (or get cross with Vetassess)..

James...

:jimlad:

Guest steve the spark
Great work Steve...

As i have said before the whole Vetassess cert is only designed for the visa, all of the advise you get from agents and such like is about the visa....

Regarding the license the advice is when you get here you are on your own..! The Office of Fair Trading is trying to change things so that all migrants on the OSTR will get quicker licensing but it's not there yet, so yes going down the PEER route is definately the quickest...

However.... the gap training specified by Vetassess as well as the Office of Fair Trading insist on you having 12 months on site experiance to get an A license, so don't think you can get here go to PEER and be up and fully working within a few months as you can't.

Get here, get your provisional license and then do the course, you have then 12 months (from starting work) to pass it, but my guess is that TAFE will have a new course up and running before then so don't jump straight in with PEER and ultimately don't panic..! (or get cross with Vetassess)..

James...

sorry mate your wrong

as i said get an artc form the tra 300 bucks

you need the artc as they wont accept the vettesses cert without a 4 month log book

( exactly the same course but with the log book so i think for 300 bucks its a msut do to speed things up )

and you can go to peer do the course and get a full South Australian electrical workers licence in three weeks, or work your way through the course at home and attend peer for the exam usually 3 days ( 2 days revsion and the exam on the 3rd day )

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

if you want a qld one ( or any other state ) you apply under mutual recognition and pay a small fee i think qld`s about 70 bucks

Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

this isnt a one off mate ive advised dozens of sparkies on the other site and they are all fully licenced

also see

ARTC & licencing in Australia : British Expat Discussion Forum

posted by a ladys who sorted out her husbands electrical courses inc peer

hope this helps regard steve

Guest James.S
sorry mate your wrong

you need the artc as they wont accept the vettesses cert without a 4 month log book

( exactly the same course but with the log book so i think for 300 bucks its a msut do to speed things up )

and you can go to peer do the course and get a full South Australian electrical workers licence in three weeks, or work your way through the course at home and attend peer for the exam usually 3 days ( 2 days revsion and the exam on the 3rd day )

if you want a qld one ( or any other state ) you apply under mutual recognition and pay a small fee i think qld`s about 70 bucks

this isnt a one off mate ive advised dozens of sparkies on the other site and they are all fully licenced

also see

Steve,

Glad to be wrong, i wasn't thinking the mutual recognition route but yes you are completely correct.. I was thinking to just get the PEER qualification and then apply for the A license back in your state... dah..

I have just had a good look into the NSW side of things and once you are licensed from SA and applying to have it recognised they guarentee to have it with you within 30days, they can even back date it to the date you loged the application so in theory you can start work the same day as you apply....

The ARTC TRA application is $300 + $270 if they insist on you doing an assessment, but given we have all just done the OSTR i guess they should not need to bother..?

All the best...

James...

Guest leeob77
sorry mate your wrong

also see

hi steve-o

nice to see you have popped over from BE.

my advice is same. i went through peer (as you and wendy suggested many moons ago!) and got license waiting for me to arrive permanantly.

i would forget all about vetassess once you have the visa. get the ARTC applied for and get licensed in SA.

the system in oz just doesnt seem to be ready for vetassess.

lee.

Guest Mylady's O/H

Hi Guys

I have been intouch with Enerysafety in WA Which is the licensing authority.Please read and see what is involved in getting your A licence.From what I understand we can Have our licence within 3 weeks.Am I correct? I will now be in contact with TAFE Western Au to see if we can swat here in the UK and then fly over and right the exams. No matter what the answer is 3weeks stills sounds excellent.

From: energylicensing <energylicensing@commerce.wa.gov.au>

To:Me Sent: Monday, 23 March, 2009 5:48:57 AM

Subject: RE: OTSR VETASSESS (WA Electrical Mechanical/fitter A Licence

Hi

You will need to complete the following application form and meet all the requirements. Once we have received the application form and you are in Australia you will be asked to sit the Electrical Trade License Course which will cover the Wiring Rules.

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/PDF/Forms/Form_R018.pdf

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Licensing Officer

EnergySafety | Department of Commerce

* PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1 Mason Bird Building, 303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107

' (08) 9422 5280| 7 (08) 9422 5222| 8 Robyn.Nelson@commerce.wa.gov.au

-----Original Message-----

To: energylicensing

Subject: Re: OTSR VETASSESS (WA Electrical Mechanical/fitter A Licence

Hi

Thank you for the information it is really helpfull.Just one more question.Can I do the Electrical Trade License Course which will cover the wiring rules through long distance learning and then come over to WA and write the exam? If not, how long is this course once I arrive in WA?

Kind regards

Me

The course is 10 weeks part time or 2 weeks full time you would need to contact the colleges in Australia to find out if they do it via correspondence.

I doubt it though.

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Licensing Officer

EnergySafety | Department of Commerce

* PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1 Mason Bird Building, 303 Sevenoaks Street, Cannington WA 6107

' (08) 9422 5280| 7 (08) 9422 5222| 8 Robyn.Nelson@commerce.wa.gov.au

PQ Please consider the environment before printing this email

Guest steve the spark
Hi Guys

I have been intouch with Enerysafety in WA Which is the licensing authority.Please read and see what is involved in getting your A licence.From what I understand we can Have our licence within 3 weeks.Am I correct? I will now be in contact with TAFE Western Au to see if we can swat here in the UK and then fly over and right the exams. No matter what the answer is 3weeks stills sounds excellent.

From: energylicensing <energylicensing@commerce.wa.gov.au>

To:Me Sent: Monday' date=' 23 March, 2009 5:48:57 AM[/font']

Subject: RE: OTSR VETASSESS (WA Electrical Mechanical/fitter A Licence

Hi

You will need to complete the following application form and meet all the requirements. Once we have received the application form and you are in Australia you will be asked to sit the Electrical Trade License Course which will cover the Wiring Rules.

http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/EnergySafety/PDF/Forms/Form_R018.pdf

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Licensing Officer

EnergySafety| Department of Commerce

*PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1Mason Bird Building,303 Sevenoaks Street,Cannington WA 6107

' (08)94225280|7 (08)9422 5222|8Robyn.Nelson@commerce.wa.gov.au

-----Original Message-----

To: energylicensing

Subject: Re: OTSR VETASSESS (WA Electrical Mechanical/fitter A Licence

Hi

Thank you for the information it is really helpfull.Just one more question.Can I do the Electrical Trade License Course which will cover the wiring rules through long distance learning and then come over to WA and write the exam? If not, how long is this course once I arrive in WA?

Kind regards

Me

The course is 10 weeks part time or 2 weeks full time you would need to contact the colleges in Australia to find out if they do it via correspondence.

I doubt it though.

Cheers

Robyn Nelson

Licensing Officer

EnergySafety| Department of Commerce

*PO Box 135 Cannington WA 6987 | Level 1Mason Bird Building,303 Sevenoaks Street,Cannington WA 6107

' (08)94225280|7 (08)9422 5222|8Robyn.Nelson@commerce.wa.gov.au

PQ Please consider the environment before printing this email

thanks for sharing

if you find out which WA tafes are doing the course i`m sure there would be lots of people on here intrested to hear about it

Guest James.S
thanks for sharing

if you find out which nsw tafes are doing the course i`m sure there would be lots of people on here intrested to hear about it

On the application pdf it say's they will accept the ARTC or OSTR wich is nice..! I guess though the college to sit the reg's course won't..? please calrify if you can..

James...

Guest steve the spark
On the application pdf it say's they will accept the ARTC or OSTR wich is nice..! I guess though the college to sit the reg's course won't..? please calrify if you can..

James...

the WA course is a new one on me james so i`m doing a bit of tinternet searching to date ive come up with this one that may interest some of you WA`ers

http://www.cet.asn.au/Libraries/Misc%20pdf%20documents/March%202009%20Faxbroadcast.sflb

and the price has beeen slashed too boot

regards steve

Hi yes that is right re licence in WA, see my previous post on how my OH got his. Two week course anlthough there could be a waiting list for the course - and you pay more for the intensive course, about $800 plus $300 for books. Geoff did get a cheque back for $700 as a refund from his course fees, not sure why but hey $700 is $700!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest welshspark

hey james whats happening this thread has gone a bit quite, has every 1 given up because of the recent set back come on people keep it up

Guest The Rustys

Just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to James for starting this thread.

My OH did his assessment today and said the information was "spot on"!!!

Nothing to add as you covered it all.

Thanks again

:yes:

Guest James.S

Hello..

Glad to have helped to both of you having just done your tests... really pleases it all went well..

Yes Mr Welshy it has all gone a bit quiet all round really... the whole license issue basicaly ends with if you want to get an A license then go to SA PEER, get licensed there and then have it recognisd under the mutual recognition scheme in your state...

But that's all a bit academic as to be able to get there (plus apply for the ARTC) you have to have a visa 1st..! and that is just a going to be a long long waiting game.. for all those 175's not on the CSL anymore!

It will all happen as things will improve, when it all starts to pick up again they will need the trades in Oz asap as there is still a skills shortage, hence the MODL..

All the best to all..

James...

Hello James,

I've been following your progress,you seem to be everyones 'benchmark' for the whole process,I have to do an IELTS test(booked to do in Cambridge on 18th April), have they given you a possible time frame on the issue of your visa?Keep up all the priceless info you have been posting,its very appreciated. - Rod

Guest James.S
Hello James,

I've been following your progress,you seem to be everyones 'benchmark' for the whole process,I have to do an IELTS test(booked to do in Cambridge on 18th April), have they given you a possible time frame on the issue of your visa?Keep up all the priceless info you have been posting,its very appreciated. - Rod

Hi Rod, good luck with the IELTS...

Given that i took a complete leap of faith and moved here, shipped all of our possensions and started my son in school just on a 3 months tourist visa expecting the 175 to be through feb sort of time the whole CSL and the ammendments to it as you would expect has all been a bit of a challenge.. also given that we have chosen to settle in NSW; the only state not offering 176 to general electricans all in all it's not been great..!

However, what i have managed to get is a job offer of the type acceptible to the DIAC and that along with the fact that i (and my family) are already here and that general electrician is still on the MODL the DIAC are saying that our application will be processed along side the 176's... so a c/o should be allocated before the end of may... hopefully.... or else i'm stuffed... or moving to QLD to apply for a 176..!

Thanks for the kind words,

All the best,

James...

Guest The Rustys
Where did he take his test? I had my test today at Blackburn

And Cheers James and Steveo for your help.

He took it in London, they said he should hear something in about 10 days.

Will be keeping all crossed for a good result, will do for you too

Also to you James, I hope all works out for you and your family - looks positive though!

We were considering 'a leap of faith' to Queensland as OH has a NZ practising Licence so comes under the mutal recognition agreement. He had to do the VETASSESS for the VISA which is all rather frustrating.

All the best

Guest James.S
He took it in London, they said he should hear something in about 10 days.

Will be keeping all crossed for a good result, will do for you too

Also to you James, I hope all works out for you and your family - looks positive though!

We were considering 'a leap of faith' to Queensland as OH has a NZ practising Licence so comes under the mutal recognition agreement. He had to do the VETASSESS for the VISA which is all rather frustrating.

All the best

Hi Rustys.... Yes the whole visa thing is a pain but getting to QLD would be a good move... the NZ license is great and will definately speed things up for you, will probably even speed up the 176 as you can get a job offer to back it up too given that the whole license will be so swift compared to other migrants.... you could even try my route and stick with a 175 to start with... ooh descisions descisions...

Bottom line is, get over here asap as it's flippin lovely...!

James...

Hello again James,

Where would you find the 176 list for QLD please?Things are not so 'fab' here in England presently either to be honest ,work is definatly slowing up - what surprises me is that the CSL is worth no points on the application but the MODL is - hopefully they will also soon sort out the 'A' licience snag..hang in there, thanks James - Rod

Guest James.S
Hello again James,

Where would you find the 176 list for QLD please?Things are not so 'fab' here in England presently either to be honest ,work is definatly slowing up - what surprises me is that the CSL is worth no points on the application but the MODL is - hopefully they will also soon sort out the 'A' licience snag..hang in there, thanks James - Rod

Hi Rod,

The link for the QLD Skilled Sponsership Eligible Skills List is: Skilled Sponsored Eligible Skills List

I'm sure everything will all get sorted out in time with the license as it can't stay as it is..!

I feel that the CSL is a temporary measure, that's probably why it's not reflected on the application but the MODL trades are... i think...

All the best,

James...

Guest The Rustys
Hi Rustys.... Yes the whole visa thing is a pain but getting to QLD would be a good move... the NZ license is great and will definately speed things up for you, will probably even speed up the 176 as you can get a job offer to back it up too given that the whole license will be so swift compared to other migrants.... you could even try my route and stick with a 175 to start with... ooh descisions descisions...

Bottom line is, get over here asap as it's flippin lovely...!

James...

Very Very tempting!

Just concerned how long this crisis is going to last - would be great to have a crystal ball!!!!

We both have fairly secure jobs and a house here so the brain says "wait it out" but the heart says "go on take a chance!!". Like you said decisions decisions........:goofy:

Have heard that Electricians are not having a good time in Brisbane/Gold Coast area due to redundancies at the mines flooding the market with Trades people????

The other factor is we have a 13 year old, so we need to get her there and settled asap. Can I ask? Did you have any problems enroling your son at school with your Visa? Work?

Thanks

Dear all electricians,

I am from india.I have applied my visa 176 application and i got case officer yesterday 8th of april.I have doubt abt the employment questions from co, What type of questions are asked from the co?Becaz all of them know we can give some details about general questions but technical questions without examining the problem how can tell the answer and my friends also said some cases failed due to not given the proper answer.so please help me What type of questions will ask from co? Or please help me to find any websites having technical questions and answers.Kindly i expect your reply Please,please.

Ritu

Guest James.S
Very Very tempting!

Just concerned how long this crisis is going to last - would be great to have a crystal ball!!!!

We both have fairly secure jobs and a house here so the brain says "wait it out" but the heart says "go on take a chance!!". Like you said decisions decisions........:goofy:

Have heard that Electricians are not having a good time in Brisbane/Gold Coast area due to redundancies at the mines flooding the market with Trades people????

The other factor is we have a 13 year old, so we need to get her there and settled asap. Can I ask? Did you have any problems enroling your son at school with your Visa? Work?

Thanks

If I had had a crystal ball then i would have put my application in 2 months earlier and then we wouldn't have a problem..!

It depends what reports you listen too about the whole trade situation. Yes the mines are slowing down but they still are producing so there are people in work. The unemployment has just jumped to 5.7% about 35,000 lost there jobs in the whole of Oz last month but that's accross the whole board, it no where near the 2 million unemployed in the UK. Also what isn't reported is that the last quarter of last year the construction industry grew at a record rate, also of all areas the government predict will not slow down and / or be the first to pick up after the crisis the construction industry is one of them. The bottom line is Oz is still expanding and growing but they do not have the infrustructure or housing, that's why i feel the construction trades off the CSL will just be a temporary measure...

One of the reasons for us jumping at the beginnning of this year is the fact that we wanted our son to start school at the start of year 1... The principle was very understanding of our situation and is kindly classing my son as a local resident for the 1st semester...

Given that you both have good secure jobs maybe patients will be the best choice.... damn frustrating though...!

All the best,

James..

Guest James.S
Dear all electricians,

I am from india.I have applied my visa 176 application and i got case officer yesterday 8th of april.I have doubt abt the employment questions from co, What type of questions are asked from the co?Becaz all of them know we can give some details about general questions but technical questions without examining the problem how can tell the answer and my friends also said some cases failed due to not given the proper answer.so please help me What type of questions will ask from co? Or please help me to find any websites having technical questions and answers.Kindly i expect your reply Please,please.

Ritu

Ritu,

I'm not sure what your asking..? are you talking about getting a job offer from an employer? If so they will just ask to see your CV... If it's the format of the job offer letter then that's slightly different... i can advise but please clarify..

All the best,

James..