Guest James.S

Guest Neal the Sparks

This is a really good idea a thread for us poor old sparkies, and how hard it is to get over to Oz!

I went to Melbourne to lodge my application with the TRA it was a bit of a ball ache because the info that I had produced for my visa (skilled independant visa sub class 136) also had to be produces for my TRA application and the copy that was held for my visa was in another office in another part of Oz but fortunatly we sorted it out. From this I was granted with the tra grade of electrical mechanic. This was all done in March last year. from this I now need to do three short courses to be able to get my A grade license and to find out what is entailed in them you can go onto the Energy Safe Victoria web site and follow the links all the info you need is on there including a link to the colllege that do the courses and even an old exam paper with the answers for you to look at. Hope this is helpful and good luck to you in your applications

Guest Will&Lynsey

Hiya,

My names Will and I was hoping one of you fellow sparks could give me some advice.....We received our 176 (WA) visas about 6 weeks ago and plan to leave the Uk as soon as we sell our house. How do I go about applying for a Provisional General Electricians Licence prior to us moving to Oz????

Thanks in advance

Will

Guest WarrenG

Wow! hasn't this thread really expanded from only a couple of posts!

Haven't been on for a while (been busy testing some banks - PIR's) and have just read through ALLl the posts - phew! what a roller coaster! :v_SPIN:

OK so now some what confused..........TRA or Vetassess? Have been collating all my info for Vetassess filled in forms, references, copies of certs etc, etc, but it looks like the quicker route is TRA.....am I correct? Or have I just read to many posts in one go? :unsure:

Wow! hasn't this thread really expanded from only a couple of posts!

Haven't been on for a while (been busy testing some banks - PIR's) and have just read through ALLl the posts - phew! what a roller coaster! :v_SPIN:

OK so now some what confused..........TRA or Vetassess? Have been collating all my info for Vetassess filled in forms, references, copies of certs etc, etc, but it looks like the quicker route is TRA.....am I correct? Or have I just read to many posts in one go? :unsure:

You must complete the Vetassess if you live in the following countries United Kingdom, India, Sri Lanka, South Africa and the Philippines for these nominated trades for the purpose of a visa. If you wanted to do the TRA route you can do this as a extra. Stupid, expensive and long winded rules !!!!!

Guest southerngent
You must complete the Vetassess if you live in the following countries United Kingdom, India, Sri Lanka, South Africa and the Philippines for these nominated trades for the purpose of a visa. If you wanted to do the TRA route you can do this as a extra. Stupid, expensive and long winded rules !!!!!

Depending on experiance TRA assess Electrician (special class) in the above countries. It took them less than two weeks for me, and is completely paper based. quick no-hassle and half the money. But maybe more hassle when you get there.(am not there yet).

It will be a while before we know the best route and it seems a changing situation however if like myself your planning a 6-12 month break when you get there- there should be plenty of time to sort out the snags down under.

Guest WarrenG
Depending on experiance TRA access Electrician (special class) in the above countries. It took them less than two weeks for me, and is completely paper based. quick no-hassle and half the money. But maybe more hassle when you get there.(am not there yet).

It will be a while before we know the best route and it seems a changing situation however if like myself your planning a 6-12 month break when you get there- there should be plenty of time to sort out the snags down under.

Thanks for the replies. It does seem to be a bit like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing situation. I have emailed PEER (kate) to see if she can clarify once and for all the TRA route instead of the Vetassess route. Thanks to Arthur for the details!

My concern is the ARTC and obtaining that for the Visa process because you need that or the Vetassess OTSR for the Visa application I am lead to beleive? If you were to go back right at the start of this thread, (pages 1-3, I think) you will see some responces that I posted and that I had received back from TRA about the ARTC certificate. It states that TRA are no longer the assessing body for residents of the United Kingdom.

Like everyone else, I want to take the better route but either way I would expect a practical assessment either here in the UK or in OZ. Trouble is just trying to find the clear cut route to take without paying out unessessary money.

We are not using a agent because I think these guys just add to the confusion, one will say one thing and another will say the total opposite with huge differences in costing and no guarantee's.

I guess, 'where there's a will, there's a way', so staying positive. :biggrin:

Guest southerngent

Warren,

If you get a skills assesment as electrician (special class) with the TRA then they will access your qualifications for free and give you the ARTC once you have your visa, provided you have an AUS address for them to send it to. No need to be in Aus to get your ARTC, just need the visa.

edit-You only need the skills assesment for the visa application, the artc comes later.

Guest WarrenG
Warren,

If you get a skills assesment as electrician (special class) with the TRA then they will access your qualifications for free and give you the ARTC once you have your visa, provided you have an AUS address for them to send it to. No need to be in Aus to get your ARTC, just need the visa.

edit-You only need the skills assesment for the visa application, the artc comes later.

If I understand you correctly the skills assessment you mention is a paper based assessment with TRA?

Do they then provide some sort of proof (paperwork) for you to say that you have been successfully assessed in order to submit an application for a visa under a skilled trade as an electrician? :confused:

Warren,

I spoke to the main person at PEER yesterday, this is what happens between ARTC & vatessess. When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.

If you don't provide enough information or the type of information they may require for easy processes of the application this is where the two different routes come into play.

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC, end of story.

You may also be invited to do a trade test for ARTC again depending on the amount of info you put in the application, most case these days expect to be invited to do a trade test.

This system lets you apply to sit the A class exams when you get here I recommend PEER in S/A that the easiest route believe me.

If you don't provide enough info, you shall be pointed down the Vatessess route.

This system you shall have to do a trade test no ifs or buts.

You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the A class likeness exams at PEER when here, however there is a different system for Vatessess students. Can explain later.

For people who get the Cert of General Electrician, can also attend PEER to do there A class license no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC they are fine.

People who have been steered down the Vatessess route & people with General Electrician this can cause massive problems in other states, some states require what’s called Gap training this means you must work onsite for 12 months keeping a log book of all work completed on a continual basis without any breaks in the work time of the 12 months.

you won’t get a A class license until you have done this logbook you only get a restricted license meaning you’re not allowed to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatessess, people doing General Electrician can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the A class transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatessess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months.

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

if you have a gap in the 12 months your buggered.

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then that’s your lot.

as I say I got this from the main man on Friday 15-5-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information for you

This is for people migrating to Australia:

I spoke to the main person at PEER yesterday, this is what happens between ARTC & vatessess. When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.

If you don't provide enough information or the type of information they may require for easy processes of the application this is where the two different routes come into play.

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC, end of story.

You may also be invited to do a trade test for ARTC again depending on the amount of info you put in the application, most case these days expect to be invited to do a trade test.

This system lets you apply to sit the A class exams when you get here I recommend PEER in S/A that the easiest route believe me.

If you don't provide enough info, you shall be pointed down the Vatessess route.

This system you shall have to do a trade test no ifs or buts.

You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the A class likeness exams at PEER when here, however there is a different system for Vatessess students. Can explain later.

For people who get the Cert of General Electrician, can also attend PEER to do there A class license no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC they are fine.

People who have been steered down the Vatessess route & people with General Electrician this can cause massive problems in other states, some states require what’s called Gap training this means you must work onsite for 12 months keeping a log book of all work completed on a continual basis without any breaks in the work time of the 12 months.

you won’t get a A class license until you have done this logbook you only get a restricted license meaning you’re not allowed to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatessess, people doing General Electrician can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the A class transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatessess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months.

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then that’s your lot.

as I say I got this from the main man on Friday 15-5-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information for you

Guest WarrenG

Once again many thanks for you informative post Arthur, I and I'm pretty sure others reading this thread are very greatful for your input. :smile:

As I posted earlier I did send an email to PEER but didn't get a reply so I'm really pleased that you posted the info to clarify.

Personally I have most of my paperwork ready to forward, which I would probably send recorded signed for but would you happen to know if they pushed you to the vetassess route whether your documents be forwarded to vetassess?

Just thinking that if the paperwork were to go walkies, it would take a long time to replace it all again? :arghh:

Warren, if you supply enough evidence & make it all look like you have done lots of installation work on industrial, commercial, domestic installing & connecting to 23v,414v gear & all dissociated equipment then you shall send your paperwork sown the ARTC route for Electrical Mechanic that's what you want, its all in how you make your application look

i had applied for elctrician spl class, hoping i can get through with half money. but it was a fiasco.actually i have 17 yrs exp. in industrial elctrical/elecronic and hydrolic systems.but they rejected me with some willy-nilly reason. later i got through vetassess. if anybody planning to apply for electrician spl. class, plz think twice.

esthapan.

Guest southerngent
i had applied for elctrician spl class, hoping i can get through with half money. but it was a fiasco.actually i have 17 yrs exp. in industrial elctrical/elecronic and hydrolic systems.but they rejected me with some willy-nilly reason. later i got through vetassess. if anybody planning to apply for electrician spl. class, plz think twice.

esthapan.

I think it all depends on experiance and background - My role involves some HV switching and VCB Maintanence and is extreamly diverse ( sometimes i do very little actual electrical work ) so am sure this contributed to getting it.

But yes think carefully about it first, there is no clear distinction for what is Special Class.

Sorry to hear it cost you, but hey you got your vetassess so well done. good luck with the next step ( SS i guess )

Hi James,

heres a challenge for ya ??

Hope you can help,

My OH failed vetassess in feb and now re doing it in July...

Here are the three things he apparently failed on:

Core Units

1. Applying OHS practices in workplace.

2. Install low voltage elec apparatus and associated equipment.

3. Find and repair faults in electrical apparatus and circuits.

Not sure which part of the test these bits were, and dya think he will have to sit the whole day again...

So annoying, but determined not to fail again, revising hard ...again!!

Cheers

Tina and Scott

PS. If anyone else can help please feel free to let us know, cheers guys....

Guest shar07

Hi Tina, sorry that Scott failed Vetassess and just wanted to wish him all the best in July, if you need any help please feel free to pm me, my OH can answer any questions he passed his Vetassess in April. Good luck

Guest kelly&gazpj
Hi James,

Hope you can help,

Core Units

Not sure which part of the test these bits were, and dya think he will have to sit the whole day again...

Cheers

Tina and Scott

Hi Tina and Scott, My OH also resat his vetassess exam and passed 2nd time after lots of revising!!!! He only had to resit the bit he failed, had 2 go all the way bk 2 London (we live in Wales) and he was done in 2 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expensive 2 hours I can tell u (train, hotel, exam fee!!) they also told him there and then that he had passed, though we had 2 wait 4 it offically on paper b4 we could carry on with the application. Anyway hope this helps and good luck love kelly and Gaz

Guest jasonoldfield
Hi James,

Hope you can help,

Core Units

Cheers

Tina and Scott

Hi, passed mine in Feb @ Blackburn. Sounds like he failed on the practical side/installation bit by not using correct health & safety , poor installation technique and the end bit where you do the disconnect & reconnect on the heater. The end bit you really have to talk through & explain everything you are doing, kind of results you would expect if it was a fail etc.

The install side is just a basic install, but you need to set out correct all your box's & tube/cable keep it neat & wear your ppe.

Also ask loads of questions, found them very helpful. To the best of my knowledge wont have to sit the whole thing again.

Another last thing, is your oh a time served electrician or a re-train, as the re-train electricians are really frowned upon. Hope this helps.

Guest beverley

:arghh: hi everyone - ok i still dont get it after 45 pages of posts!!

ok so can anyone help and lay it out simply what we need to do please!

partner arron passed vetassess now have state sponsorship for WA hoping that visa will be through in a month (around) have accepted offer on flat so......

is there any licence he needs to apply for now, or do we do that when we get there???

hes not looking at starting a business or being self employed etc just want to work with a company in perth at an electrician. can anyone put it in plain english for me so i can tell him what he need to do, so i can tell step by step!! im so confused with all these licences

i havent got a clue, one minute i tell him hes got to go back to college the next i think as we have vetassess we dont so please any help is gratefully received.

thank you! :notworthy:

beverley;

have a read of this it covers all even people wanting to work for them self, iput this together for people.

To who it may concern on this site

I spoke to the main person at PEER Training on 14-5-2009, this is what happens between ARTC & vatessess. When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.

To Gain the Electrical Mechanic ARTC

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC Electrical Mechanic, end of story.

This system lets you apply to sit the A class exams when you get here I recommend PEER in S/A that’s the easiest route believe me.

Both ARTC & vatessess now have the system where you shall have to do a trade test no ifs or buts.

With the Vatessess You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the A class exams at PEER when here, however there is a different system for Vatessess students.

For people who get the Cert of Electrical Mechanic & General Electrician, Electrical Fitter can also attend PEER to do there A class license no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC.

you won’t get a A class license until you have done this logbook you only get a ”Restricted license” meaning you’re not allowed to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatessess, people can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the A class transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatessess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months if your living in QLD

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then you’re NOT allowed to apply for that type of License again forcing people to gain the A class license.

As I say I got this from the main man on Friday 15-5-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information

When you do the application you must have all documents signed & dated then the documents become a legal document make lots of copies make sure all is correct or the application shall be returned to you with little info stating why or what the problem may be from the migration dept.

It’s” illegal” to work in any state across Australia without the A class license, NO insurance company would touch a claim if anything was to go wrong.

Then if you intend to work for yourself after obtaining the A class license you then go to the nearest Tafe (College) and do a 12 week x 1 night per week doing a Business course.

When you have passed this course then you must obtain Insurance. It’s become normal now for Indemnity cover of $10,000,000 (Ten Million) dollars insurance cover.

Then you can quote for jobs in a legal capacity as I say this is only if you intend to be working for yourself, if you work for a company then all you require is the A class license.

If you intend to setup your own company & you have the A class license every job you do for any customer you must supply that customer with an COES (Certificate of Electrical Safety) one copy direct to the customer one copy to Energy Safe the other copy you keep for 7 years. Most installations are now being audited to about 30% in all states.

Getting the ATRC or ART or Vatessess may seem to be the easy part once your here this is exactly what must be achieved to work as a fully licensed electrician in Australia.

Most Migration “Agents” (That’s a laugh) do NOT inform people about the information above you pay them your money then that’s your lot you’re on your own when you get here.

I hope this information is of some value to any people who may be applying for migration.

Myself I try to help people around Melbourne, there is another person on British Ex Pats who lives in QLD his name on the site is Steve’O he is fantastic and very switched on he is also available for assistance with information for the migration process.

The duration of the A class license is 3 years it’s your responsibility to renew the license you get a renewal reminder then that's your lot if you DON'T renew you must sit all exams again.

The duration of the Contractors course in Melbourne is about 12 weeks x one night per week

Cost of A class license about $270.00 per 5 years

Electrical Contractors course Now has become Small Business Course in S/A cost $1,160.00 to date 27/5/2009 one payment only. The course 2 x modules 1st Legal requirements + 2nd financial costing & planning the course is completed over three Sundays at PEER total duration of the course = 60 hours inclusive of projects completed at home. (Most of the work is achieved at home)

Cost of Contractors license about $300.00 per year.

Cost of Insurance depends on how much cover you require I have $10,000,000 (Ten Million) costing $500.00 per year.

There is also a Basic Safety induction course x 6 hour done in 1 day $80.00 at PEER

The original Certificate was the Green card now it’s become the White card.

This card is recognised Australia wide, most sites shall require you to hold this card or you may NOT be allowed on site to work.??

Regards & Best of luck with your applications, if you require help just ask

Arthur Quinn Melbourne

(PS) If you don’t pay the licenses or insurance your unable to work in a legal capacity anywhere in Australia.

Guest James.S
Hi James,

Hope you can help,

Core Units

Cheers

Tina and Scott

Hi Tina & Scot...

Looking into the modules that were failed i think it was probably just in two areas, 1 & 3 being the disconnect & reconnect of the faulty aparantus as this would cover both aspects failed. This test mostly involves a so called faulty motor, when doing this you normally have to write down the process you are going to take and why, the reason being that this is a live test and it should cover most of the OH&S apsects... the following are what they are expecting to see, both physically carried out and wriiten down before hand...

Disconnection Process

Notify personnel of presence on work site.

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential service?

Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.

Ensure the frame of the equipment in not ‘LIVE’ by testing between frame/chassis and the known earth.

Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation after use.

Take operational details of appliance e.g. kW and voltage.

Take direction of rotation (DOR) of motor (where applicable).

Complete details on danger tags e.g. name, date, fault, etc.

Affix danger tags to isolation points, e.g. appliance, isolating switch, switchboard etc.

Determine location of appropriate protective device.

Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors as switchboard or appliance.

Test voltage tester at known ‘LIVE’ source for correct operation before use.

Before touching the appliance conductors, test for LIVE. Test between – all conductors & known earth. This test should also include test for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor & the known earth.

The appliance conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductor.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.

Isolate protective device by applying lock-dog & lock or inserting ‘dummy’ fuse wedge in fuse base.

Terminate conductors in approved manner and enclose in junction box. Cable ends must be fully insulated.

Affix danger tag to terminated conductors enclosed in junction box.

Ensure terminated conductors are protected against mechanical damage.

Clean up work area & notify personnel.

Reconnection Process

Notify personnel of return to work site.

Personnel to be notified in immediate area that you are to commence disconnection and interruption to supply.

Will removal of protective devices affect essential service?

Ensure the appliance to be reconnected is of the same operational rating e.g. kW amps & voltage etc.

Test insulation resistance and continuity tester on both Meg Ohm (500V) and Ohm scale for correct operation.

Carry out the insulation resistance test on the appliance. Test between all active & neutral conductors to the earth contact of the appliance.

Not containing sheathed heating elements – not less than 1 MegW

Containing sheathed heating elements – not less than 0.01MegW

Before touching final sub-circuit conductors, test for LIVE. Test between – all conductors & the known earth. This test also includes testing for LIVE between the protective earthing conductor & the effective earth.

The final sub-circuit conductors must also be tested for LIVE by testing between all conductors. This includes the protective earthing conductors.

Test voltage tester for correct operation on known LIVE source after using it.

Reconnect final sub-circuit wiring to appliance terminals.

Carry out continuity test on final sub circuit protective earthing conductor from effective earth to frame of appliance. – this test should be carried out after the circuit conductors have been connected to the equipments terminals and before the power has been restored.

Notify personnel of restoration to power.

Do not leave exposed LIVE terminals/conductors at switchboard or appliance.

Remove lock, lock-dog and switch on circuit breaker or insert correct fuse wedge to restore power.

Check appliance for correct operation e.g. DOR. (Direction of Rotation).

Clean up work area and notify personnel.

The 2nd point that was failed on was probably covered in the written exam before the practical section. I would have thought just revision of low voltage circuits and transformer wind ratios etc should cover it...

Regarding whether they will require you to re-sit... god only knows... ask them in the first instance if they would accept something in writing showing evidence of experiance and proof of knowledge and understanding as to the failed modules... if not then i would expect a re-test would be expected..

Good luck anyhow, hope that all helps..

James...

:jimlad:

Guest James.S
im eager to hear from James. james whats up dude? is there any good news yet?

Hi... am still here, just being patient and trying to enjoy the weather..! How's you doin..?

James...