Guest James.S

Hello James,how you doing,did you stick to your 175 visa or did you switch to a SS 176 visa? Have you done your 'A' licience yet or are you still waiting? - Rod

Guest James.S
Hello James,how you doing,did you stick to your 175 visa or did you switch to a SS 176 visa? Have you done your 'A' licience yet or are you still waiting? - Rod

Hi Rod,

I'm still waiting for the 175 I have a job offer so it may be through sooner than without, i'm not currently thinking of the 176 as that would mean going to QLD and I want to stay in NSW, I can however technicaly stay here anyway as it's only a 'moral obligation' to stay in QLD on a 176 so there's nothing stopping me crossing the boarder but that seem's wrong to me... I am looking into a 119 or even a 457 as well...

No license yet, that is all still waiting for the visa, whichever one it will be...! I will be doing the ARTC & PEER route though, that's for sure..!

How is everything going with you..?

James...

:jimlad:

Guest tommo66

Hi James

Have been reading through past posts and picked up on you being in a.u. with family on holiday visa.

I too would like to spend my time waiting for visa in the sun.

Is it possible to get kids in school while on holiday visa, thinking of W.A.

Would appreciate your input.

Cheers Andy

Guest James.S
Hi James

Have been reading through past posts and picked up on you being in a.u. with family on holiday visa.

I too would like to spend my time waiting for visa in the sun.

Is it possible to get kids in school while on holiday visa, thinking of W.A.

Would appreciate your input.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

We have not had a problem getting our son into school, we should in theory be paying for him as an international student but we managed to negotiate with the principle for him to be classed as a normal resident...

We are paying for a private school however so i'm not sure how it would be in a public school... We emailed a whole bunch of schools before leaving the UK just to make sure all would be OK, most people were really helpful so maybe try that first..

Anyhow good luck and get over here as soon as you can as it's flippin lovely..!

James...

Guest tommo66

Hi James

Thanks for the info, I will look into that.

What's the average cost of private schools where you are, my two are 13 and 10.

Thanks in advance for your help, hope you get sorted soon.

Cheers Andy

Hi James - thanks for the response - I've recently done my IELTS test got through that with an overall score of 8.0 & handed that in with my 175 application -my thinking is that the 175 visa will take longer & maybe thats a blessing in disguise as jobs currently seem few & far between in Aussie, so hopefully in time things will pick up,jobs become more available then my 175 visa also comes through...I've spoken to several agents about switching to SS 176 visa (to QLD) however with very few jobs around why rush there...I'm keen but also apprehensive about the recession there. - Rod

Guest James.S
Hi James

Thanks for the info, I will look into that.

What's the average cost of private schools where you are, my two are 13 and 10.

Thanks in advance for your help, hope you get sorted soon.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

My son is attending a 'Steiner' school, we pay $75 p/week via DD, (that is over 50 weeks i think)...

Not sure what an average cost is and we only were looking at Steiner schools, the average cost was around the same other than one in Sydney that was quite a lot more...

Hope that helps.. all the best...

James..

Guest James.S
Hi James - thanks for the response - I've recently done my IELTS test got through that with an overall score of 8.0 & handed that in with my 175 application -my thinking is that the 175 visa will take longer & maybe thats a blessing in disguise as jobs currently seem few & far between in Aussie, so hopefully in time things will pick up,jobs become more available then my 175 visa also comes through...I've spoken to several agents about switching to SS 176 visa (to QLD) however with very few jobs around why rush there...I'm keen but also apprehensive about the recession there. - Rod

Hi Rod, sounds like quite a sensible plan, the whole recession debate rolls on as it's very difficult to get a true picture and even hader to be able to compare to how things are in the UK, there seems to be a lot of localised and regional effects, some towns having plenty of work and others all being quite quiet, similar to the UK, i have friends in some areas who have had no work since well before Xmas and others in different parts that are rushed off their feet... I guess just goes with what feel's best and you shouldn't go wrong..

All the best,

James..

Guest steve the spark
Hi Rod,

I'm still waiting for the 175 I have a job offer so it may be through sooner than without, i'm not currently thinking of the 176 as that would mean going to QLD and I want to stay in NSW, I can however technicaly stay here anyway as it's only a 'moral obligation' to stay in QLD on a 176 so there's nothing stopping me crossing the boarder but that seem's wrong to me... I am looking into a 119 or even a 457 as well...

No license yet, that is all still waiting for the visa, whichever one it will be...! I will be doing the ARTC & PEER route though, that's for sure..!

How is everything going with you..?

James...

james have a word with the tra re an artc application i`m sure you can apply on a temp holiday visa ( you can on a temp work visa )

Guest James.S
james have a word with the tra re an artc application i`m sure you can apply on a temp holiday visa ( you can on a temp work visa )

Cheers for that.. i will give them a bell tomorrow and see what they say...

James...

Guest tommo66

Hi Guys great info from every one.

I am at early stages and slowly picking through the information as required but one thing I'm still unsure about is does the A licence allow you to work self employed if so what is the Contractors Licence.

I think I read in one of Steve the sparks quotes that he has a Contractors Licence may be you could throw in some info Steve.

Also can you carry out other trades jobs once in A.U. e.g. I'm a self employed spark in u.k. but I install kitchens, bathrooms etc bringing in subbies for bits I can't or not allowed to do, i.e. gas, plastering.

Last thing, can anybody give me a realistic income what a spark would earn if employed doing your average week 40 hours.

Cheers Andy

fastest way to get licenced is get an artc from the tra $300

workplace.gov.au - FAQ - for Australian residents

and do your licence in SA at per.com.au

this can be done from home and fly down for the exam or 3 weeks at adeliade

full licence and start working ;)

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

if required you can exchange this SA licence for a qld one via mutual recognition

Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

yes its a pain in the arse especially if youve spent an small fortune with vetteses and have been presented with the next to useless osrt cert but at the end ofthe day with construction work slowing down youve no chance with a permit to train

ive posted masses of info helping other sparks on another well know expats forum

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

hope this helps guys

regards steve

Hi just a quick note on getting your ARTC if you become an Australian resident and you have a positive TRA when you apply for the ARTC the first time there is No fee cheers spike

fastest way to get licenced is get an artc from the tra $300

workplace.gov.au - FAQ - for Australian residents

and do your licence in SA at per.com.au

this can be done from home and fly down for the exam or 3 weeks at adeliade

full licence and start working ;)

Peer Veet > Training > Overseas Enquiry

if required you can exchange this SA licence for a qld one via mutual recognition

Interstate and New Zealand applicants (mutual recognition)

yes its a pain in the arse especially if youve spent an small fortune with vetteses and have been presented with the next to useless osrt cert but at the end ofthe day with construction work slowing down youve no chance with a permit to train

ive posted masses of info helping other sparks on another well know expats forum

Electricians : British Expat Discussion Forum

hope this helps guys

regards steve

This is from the workplace website Quote"

How much does it cost?

• AUD $300 for ARTC application

• AUD $270 for trade test (if required)

• AUD $130 for replacement of a lost certificate

• No application fee is required for an initial ARTC application from Australian residents whose skills have been successfully assessed by TRA for migration purposes

cheers spike

• 1 month later...

Hi all i'm after some help. A good while back a link was posted on this forum which gave electrician's wage comparisons state-by-state, and i can't find it anywhere. I'm after it now because i'm filling in the WA State Sponsorship form and could use some of the info for sections 5.1 and 6.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jayesh
Hi Neal i am from Telford and i am taking exam on 19/02/09 at Blackburn.are you panicking yet like me:unsure:

Hi larry

I am jayesh from Indian. I am taking Vitassess practical test on 01/09/2009.

Can you tall me which type of quastion they ask and what about your experience for practical test.

Jayesh

• 3 weeks later...

hi jayesh,

about vetassess practical i explained you over the phone.

there will be a wiring involving two 2 way swictches and a lamp(stair case wiring) and a pwer plug and switch. if u don't have prac. experience, u need to practise it.

then a DoL circuit.the contactor(24v ac)and push bottons,'ll be fixed on a decolum sheet. u need to connect it with link wires.

then, dis-connect and connect test. there'll be dryer connected to supply and a lamp glowing.u have to switch off the dryer without interrupting the lamp(think as essential service which cannot be interupted.) select the appropriate MCB and switch it off(see the current rating)

written exam. all questions from electrical fundametals.viz. R,L,XL,XC and Z.

ohms Law.

tramsformation ratio, V2/V1=N2/N2=I1/I2.

earth connection is a must. be careful but not panic. dont make any accidents.do not injure yourself.the assesser will be watching u.

regarding IELTS the overall band is rised to 6.

best of luck.

incase of any doubts plz call me.

esthapan.

Peertec in SA is the way to go and I would advise you to hurry on as it is only a matter of time before they realise what everyone is doing. They send you a work book fill it up takes about a month, fly down for 2 days, one day revision and the other day exam open book. You can pick up the licence that day and then leave and transfer it.

Guest Tallywag

hi iam a spark from uk and now live in OZ

quick run down when you get to OZ you send all your details back to the ARTC they will then give you a OZ ticket, if you paid for it in the UK you will not have to pay here!

they will look again at your file and grade you either a Electrical Fitter or Electrical mechanic.

when you have that cert you can then proceed on to the next step!!

If graded a Electrical fitter, Well the long and short is struggle like hell,know someone who can put you in touch with a local spark. and then you may be able to apply for a licence after time, different states, different laws!!

If graded a electrical mechanic then you can apply to sit the Electrical test in which ever state. to become a graded electrican. YOU R NOT allowed to work before you get your licence. Contractor will get fined heavily.

Then you can work for some one.

It does not stop there.

Ohh Did i tell you that certain states do not reconize other states licence, so depending which state, all depends which path to take.

A grade licence and contractors licence Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I have complited my vetassess practical test on 31/08/2009. for General Electrician(4311-11)

I got positive result within 2 days.

If any body wants some help regarding to the practical test please contact me.

It was very easy and simple.

I want to brif about my test:

31/08/2009

8.00 AM Introduction and brif about practical task.

1) Give 18 quastion- Answer theory test.

It was related to basic calcullation like, Resistance parallel/ series, Power calcullation, Voltage droup,Transrormar callucallation N2/N1=V2/V1=I1/I2,RMS Value,Star Delta calcullation.

2) Wiring with 2 Switch ( 2Way) start and stop 1 lamp. 2 Plug 15A. Conect with MCB.

3) DOL Wiring and connect with motor.

4) Connection and disconnection system.

Guest southerngent
This is from the workplace website Quote"

How much does it cost?

• AUD $300 for ARTC application

• AUD $270 for trade test (if required)

• AUD $130 for replacement of a lost certificate

• No application fee is required for an initial ARTC application from Australian residents whose skills have been successfully assessed by TRA for migration purposes

cheers spike

I was looking today on the New TRA site and could not find the NO application fee inital ARTC if you have been assessed - this seems to have been remove.

If anyone else stumbles accross it please post a link.

Guest chris_mac

For your information guys, the TRA no longer assess Electricians. Simple as that. You cannot get the ARTC if you are an electrican.

I am fighting them at the moment as my TRA application is on hold pending the TRA LTC committees outcome later this month. The meeting is to discuss whether to convert back and assess electricians/qualifications or just leave the whole process to Vetassess.

Vetassess told me today that the OTSR is equivelent to the ARTC and that all colleges will accept it as such... BOLLOCKS.

Those who want to enroll at PEER you need the ARTC not an OSTR so dont waste your money.

If you want a quick licence you will not get one.

You have to do a year at college 3 nights a week at a cost of 3000 dollars ALSO be working and filling in an on site diary. No one will employ a middle aged apprentice with no licence so how can you fill in a diary?

No ifs or buts. Im here, doing it, been on the phone 40 hours and sent a million emails... NO CHANCE.. System stinks.

I have complained to Vetassess who are going to help me. How they will do this i do not know?

Chris Mac

Guest sparkyinoz

How many times have you been to TAFE. The 1st time I went got a load of bollox from some guy saying about going to TAFE for a year or so.

Then 2nd time I went, asked to speak to electrical head teacher asked for an appointment had my cv with resume explained my situation that I was qualified for 16 years and served full apprenticeship. I was enrolled on capstone electrical test (its what the 4th year sparks do). Passed 3 weeks later and got signed off. My elec licence followed.

I think it means alot about the way you handle it !!! Reason with the guy ,, Explain your situation,,,A year in a new country to get something you are already capable of AINT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST OF LUCK GUYS.................

Been here 2 years N LOVIN IT..........................................