Best place to sit on the plane?

Guest guest17301

Guest guest17301

Hi Guys,

Heres one for those who are regular long haul flyers. Thinking of booking flights to Perth in the morning with Singapore. Just about decided to go for the shortest stopover (3hrs) still unsure if this is the best option with a 2 year old, I'm hoping it will mean he is more likely to sleep on one of the legs of the journey, down side is I won't have a cat in hells chance of sleeping, I can't sleep unless its silent and very dark!

Anyway my question relates to what is the best area to sit on the plane. There are 4 of us, and we will be able to request our seats at the time of booking. Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks in advance x

Guest julie2g1b

hi fiona

i to will be watching this post as we fly out for our recci in 3 weeks with

singapore there are 5 of us but i have a bad back, they have requested

certain seats for me but would like to know where the best seats with more

leg room.........

i have been on this site www.seatguru.com but still no wiser lol

have a look fiona you may be able to work it out

julie :wubclub:

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Fiona...

I flew with Singapore airlines in June/July of this year and by chance myself and a relative got seats at the very back of the plane, in the middle four. This turned out to be great as you can get out fairly easily to have a walk around and you can have a stretch just behind you at the back of the plane. Also, the toilets are very near - great for a family and you can put the backs of your seats down without worrying about disturbing those behind you - as there is no-one behind you! So you can relax as well as possible during the flight.

Hope that's not too much info lol and that it helps you with your decision.

Good luck!

Regards,

Dan x

If you have children I don't think you're allowed to sit at the seats directly near the doors (which give more leg room), because the people who sit there have to be able bodied and able to assist in opening the doors in an emergency. The four of us were split by an aisle seat as the formation of the plane didn't have 4 central aisle seats.

Ali x

Easy choice Bulk head seats are the best preferably with a window !

Bulkhead with a window???? I always thought the bulkhead was the wall in the middle:wacko: If you mean the emergency exit seats (yes, definitely the best for leg room and usually allocated to the taller fitter folk) not a hope of putting a family with kids in them.

My preference is for the seats at the back on the aisle side immediately behind the last row of 3 (the numbering varies according to the seating configuration) - there you have two seats fitting into the space that three wont quite go into hence you get more space at the sides where you can stretch. There are about 4 or 5 rows of them and any of them give you just the extra little bit of wriggle room. Benefits also of a window seat and only having one person to clamber over to get to the loo.

Bulkhead with a window???? I always thought the bulkhead was the wall in the middle:wacko: If you mean the emergency exit seats (yes, definitely the best for leg room and usually allocated to the taller fitter folk) not a hope of putting a family with kids in them.

My preference is for the seats at the back on the aisle side immediately behind the last row of 3 (the numbering varies according to the seating configuration) - there you have two seats fitting into the space that three wont quite go into hence you get more space at the sides where you can stretch. There are about 4 or 5 rows of them and any of them give you just the extra little bit of wriggle room. Benefits also of a window seat and only having one person to clamber over to get to the loo.

Quoll the bulk head runs across all the rows of seats, from window to window, I have managed to sit in the centre 4 with my twins in sky cots + daughter. When my eldest was Tiny we have flown on the sides against the bulkhead again with the sky cot. The bulk head is normally reserved for families with babys that need sky cots. I have been bounced out of these seats before by so called VIP frequent flyers after booking them in advance,:arghh:. Yes are are right you cannot sit with kids next to the exits but not all window bulkhead seats next to exits. ( I'm talking about Boeing 747s O course there are many different seating arrangements depending on the air line and plane type !!

Quoll the bulk head runs across all the rows of seats, from window to window, I have managed to sit in the centre 4 with my twins in sky cots + daughter. When my eldest was Tiny we have flown on the sides against the bulkhead again with the sky cot. The bulk head is normally reserved for families with babys that need sky cots. I have been bounced out of these seats before by so called VIP frequent flyers after booking them in advance,:arghh:. Yes are are right you cannot sit with kids next to the exits but not all window bulkhead seats next to exits. ( I'm talking about Boeing 747s O course there are many different seating arrangements depending on the air line and plane type !!

Ah yes, mea culpa - there is one, I was scratching my head there casting my mind back to August when I last walked past it. Crew seats on one side but the A side does have the sardine/posh divider bulkhead as passenger seats. I am usually so intent on heading down to seat 70 I dont look any more:biglaugh: Might look for them next time though but I bet everyone else has the same idea - I have to get in quick to get my 70 usually.

Ah yes, mea culpa - there is one, I was scratching my head there casting my mind back to August when I last walked past it. Crew seats on one side but the A side does have the sardine/posh divider bulkhead as passenger seats. I am usually so intent on heading down to seat 70 I dont look any more:biglaugh: Might look for them next time though but I bet everyone else has the same idea - I have to get in quick to get my 70 usually.

Unfortunately (for me that is) you will not be getting any competition for row 70 from me, I have another 18 years of sitting in the centre,that is until I can get rid of the Rug rats!

Guest guest17301

Hi thanks for all the replies, if it helps anyone the plane we are flying on is a 777/200 or a 777/200ER. No 4 seats together so we will def be split. S'ok I don't mind sitting on my own, think I'll request to sit at front in Emergency exit seat and hubs and kids can sort themselves out!

In first class, far, far, far away from children with a glass of something nice and strong. Failing that just far far far away from children, with a glass of something strong and a good set of heaphones.

Imo children should have their own section on a plane, with soundproofing.

If you are flying Singapore you can check the configuration on their web site (in fact you can on most airlines). If you book direct on the web site for the flights you can also reserve seats as well.

I also like the first row of 2 at the back of the plane behind the row of 3 where it won't quite fit, bit more space sideways lol.

In first class, far, far, far away from children with a glass of something nice and strong. Failing that just far far far away from children, with a glass of something strong and a good set of heaphones.

Imo children should have their own section on a plane, with soundproofing.

There is one it is called the CARGO HOLD!!

Just make sure as soon as you have booked your flight to go back in and reserve your seats there and then. Depending obviously how far in advance you are booking you should have a pretty good selection. I have just booked for my parents for March and they have great seats at the back in the row of 2 near the galley and toilets. I suppose you have the chance of being disturbed by the stewards and those using the toilet but on the bright side you are never far from a drink or the loo!!

Michelle

Guest slipshot

In regards flying with any airline, they have different planes that do the routes, so part of it is pot luck as to the type of plane you are on. Most are 4 abreast in the middle and 3 either side, so a family of 4 are better in the middle section.

Most also have the narrowing at the rear of the plane which means the three outer seats change to two, and thus, if there are two of, you get a little bit more privacy, no-one walking over you and because the seats are staggered (ie not directly behind the seats in front, you tend to get a small amount more room.

The downside is that there are often toilets at the rear of the plane and these can become noisy and busy.

Extra legroom seats can be had but frequent flyers are generally given priority - but you can always ask and try.

Ones by the centre galley can be had but are generally reserved for families with babies - again, it depends if there are any flying and whether they have requested these seats.

The issue with seats with a small amount of legroom extra are that others know and thus they will virtually always be taken, regardless of whether the flight is full or practically empty. If the latter, being near the rear of the plane means you have a far greater chance of getting a row of seats that are empty and thus nabbing them all for yourselves.

Finally, on some planes, the seats at the very back often do not tilt back as much as the others as they are positioned a little bit nearer the cabin or galley wall - not every plane but some so while you may be at the very back, you may lose out on something else.

I guess the one thing I have learnt after many many long haul flights is it can be pot luck and depends on the type of plane and how busy or full the flight is - which you'll not know until you actually board the plane.

But good luck...

Guest guest17301

Just to let people know we have booked and chosen our seats online...wasn't a lot of choice nearly all seats taken but we are in row 34, just in front of the wing so the window seat should be a decent view. Thanks to all for replies x

Archived