start of Aus school year

the hutchies

I know the school year in Aus starts end Jan sometime, but we have a dilemma about our daughter and which school year she will be joining when we get to Aus.. at the moment she is 12 and due to start year 8 here in England come Sept... her birthday is the beginning of Feb when she turns 13 so will she carry on in yr 8 or have to drop down and do yr 7 again should we get to Aus in Feb which is when we are hoping to

Hope it's not too confusing cos i confuse myself sometimes:wacko:

Lisax

I beleive from what my 17 year old who is over there already says that they are a year behind the UK so, if your child were in year 8 over here in February then she would be year 7 in Australia. I actually don't see this as a bad thing as being able to go back on old stuff can giove them that little bit of confidence back, plus I think its better for them to mix with kids ther own age rather than the year above.

But I stress, I ain't there yet so may be wrong.:v_SPIN:

Guest beermeister

I'm not 100% sure what year she would go into, but speaking from experience where I was always 1 year younger than my classmates at school, I would have much preferred to be in the same class as kids my own age - in particular, I didn't like being in the sporting teams with the class below me; definitely affected me:wacko::goofy:

Guest Jaynie

My Daughter was nearly 12yrs when we arrived and would have been going into high school, but they put her into year 7 and she was fine even though she was one of the oldest in her class.

Her Birthday is late September and we arrived in the June, for the new school year they kept her in Primary school.

It all depends on which state you go to but generally speaking a child turning 13 in February would be turning 13 before the cut off for most states and would be going in to year 8. Then, it all depends what state you are in as to whether this is first year HS or not.

Education in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia this is a good overall description of what happens in Australia.

Whatever you do, dont think of it in terms of repeating, going back or whatever, just think of it as joining a new education system with new rules and new nomenclature and put her with her age peers. Kids in the Aussie system will have done some things she has not done and she will have done some things that they have not done - usually the UK skill levels are higher in basic academics but perhaps not quite so hot on cooperative learning.

Archived