I was three years old when I went to Australia with mum dad

I was three years old when I went to Australia with mum and dad however I am now 21 and just returned with mum and family back to United Kingdom. I am living with my grandparents and now I find it hard to get passport. NHS number register for a doctor and leave my driving license as it is Australian passport authorities now saying because I am 21. My birth certificate doesn’t mean nothing so I know am I to register as a British citizen? I was born in this country. My mum and dad were born in this country. My grandparents are born in this country and yet I am up all the trouble , to access my Australian bank account as I cannot open a bank account in the UK 

1 minute ago, Barry Harper said:

I was three years old when I went to Australia with mum and dad however I am now 21 and just returned with mum and family back to United Kingdom. I am living with my grandparents and now I find it hard to get passport. NHS number register for a doctor and leave my driving license as it is Australian passport authorities now saying because I am 21. My birth certificate doesn’t mean nothing so I know am I to register as a British citizen? I was born in this country. My mum and dad were born in this country. My grandparents are born in this country and yet I am up all the trouble , to access my Australian bank account as I cannot open a bank account in the UK 

I have worked paid all my taxes nhs in Australia why am I having all this trouble to even get work 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Barry Harper said:

2 hours ago, Barry Harper said:

I have worked paid all my taxes nhs in Australia why am I having all this trouble to even get work 

Paying your Australian taxes has nothing to do with getting a UK passport, and the NHS doesn't exist in Australia. 

Your birth certificate is still your birth certificate even if you are 21.  You can apply for a copy of it online

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

If you were born in the UK, and your parents were born in the UK, you are already a British citizen. You don't need to register to be ne. You can just apply for your passport.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You would have been given a NI number at birth - you don't need to apply for a new one, just ask them for the old one. You were born in Britain so you just apply for your passport and use your birth certificate for that. If you are in UK on a foreign passport that might well be your problem, hindsight is perfect vision but if you had entered as a citizen you wouldn't be having some of these issues. Passport applications are straightforward and done largely on line these days.

Remember that Australia is a foreign country, you haven't paid a single UK tax for the NHS!!!!

Edited by Quoll

17 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You would have been given a NI number at birth - you don't need to apply for a new one, just ask them for the old one. You were born in Britain so you just apply for your passport and use your birth certificate for that. If you are in UK on a foreign passport that might well be your problem, hindsight is perfect vision but if you had entered as a citizen you wouldn't be having some of these issues. Passport applications are straightforward and done largely on line these days.

Remember that Australia is a foreign country, you haven't paid a single UK tax for the NHS!!!!

I didn’t think you got a NI number until you are 16 or thereabouts. My son wasn’t issued one that I am aware of. Is this a new thing or do they only tell you about it later on even though it’s created earlier? I’m just curious!

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I didn’t think you got a NI number until you are 16 or thereabouts. My son wasn’t issued one that I am aware of. Is this a new thing or do they only tell you about it later on even though it’s created earlier? I’m just curious!

You apply for it when you’re 16 (or thereabouts).  It certainly isn’t from birth … an NHS number, maybe. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paulhand said:

You apply for it when you’re 16 (or thereabouts).  It certainly isn’t from birth … an NHS number, maybe. 

That’s what I thought. Yes NHS number from birth and it stays with you. Thank you kindly! 😊

6 hours ago, Barry Harper said:

Why not just apply for a UK passport and then many other things will be easier.  You don’t have to apply for citizenship, you already are a citizen.  Why can you not open a bank account? That’s nothing to do with being British, Australian or anything else.  You’ll need identification (you have your Australian passport) and you’ll need evidence of your address.  Ask your grandparent to phone up one of their utility suppliers (BT/Gas/Electric etc) and add you to their bill.  Then they need to ask for a bill to be sent out to them and it will include your name.  There you have it, your proof of address.  Just google how to find my NHS number or even ask a local doctors surgery if they know how. Not sure what you mean regarding your driving license.  A birth certificate is not evidence of identity.  It states that on it.  Good to have though and hopefully your mum still has yours.  If not, easy to get a replacement.  Local registers will help although probably all done online now so that’s another easy google search.  Add how to get a NI number to your google list.  I don’t think you have trouble, you just need to work through a simple tick list to get all what you need. Write a list and tick it off as you get it sorted.  Good luck. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Barry Harper said:

Being a UK citizen doesn't count for much. You have to be resident and prove you are resident. Do that and most things will be easy. Agree it would have been easier if you obtained your UK passport in Australia and entered on it. You are effectively a tourist.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Why not just apply for a UK passport and then many other things will be easier.  You don’t have to apply for citizenship, you already are a citizen.  Why can you not open a bank account? That’s nothing to do with being British, Australian or anything else.  You’ll need identification (you have your Australian passport) and you’ll need evidence of your address.  Ask your grandparent to phone up one of their utility suppliers (BT/Gas/Electric etc) and add you to their bill.  Then they need to ask for a bill to be sent out to them and it will include your name.  There you have it, your proof of address.  Just google how to find my NHS number or even ask a local doctors surgery if they know how. Not sure what you mean regarding your driving license.  A birth certificate is not evidence of identity.  It states that on it.  Good to have though and hopefully your mum still has yours.  If not, easy to get a replacement.  Local registers will help although probably all done online now so that’s another easy google search.  Add how to get a NI number to your google list.  I don’t think you have trouble, you just need to work through a simple tick list to get all what you need. Write a list and tick it off as you get it sorted.  Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Blue Manna said:

Being a UK citizen doesn't count for much. You have to be resident and prove you are resident. Do that and most things will be easy. Agree it would have been easier if you obtained your UK passport in Australia and entered on it. You are effectively a tourist.

Agree, most of the issues listed could be resolved by proving residency (not citizenship) so get added to the utility bills and the electoral roll.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

It does count for a lot if trying to get a British passport though! The OP doesn't need to apply for citizenship (as they think they do), they are already a British citizen. 

36 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

It does count for a lot if trying to get a British passport though! The OP doesn't need to apply for citizenship (as they think they do), they are already a British citizen. 

Residency is much more important.

5 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

Residency is much more important.

We'll have to agree to differ on that one then. To my mind at least, having British citizenship is more important as it enables the OP to stay permanently in the UK, to work, to show they are eligible to rent properties etc. And possession of a British passport to show these agencies would make all this easier. 

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

We'll have to agree to differ on that one then. To my mind at least, having British citizenship is more important as it enables the OP to stay permanently in the UK, to work, to show they are eligible to rent properties etc. And possession of a British passport to show these agencies would make all this easier. 

I think the point is that when you first arrive in the UK to settle, no one cares if you are a citizen or not.    I know from experience that real estate agents do not care if you're a citizen or not, for instance -- they only want to know you have a job or have some other way to pay the rent.   Banks don't care -- they want some form of ID but they won't fully open an account for you, until you show proof of an address in the UK.

On 02/05/2024 at 05:02, Tulip1 said:

If he's in the UK on the strength of his Australian passport, then banks are going to be weary about opening an account for him due to Anti-Money-Laundering laws.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think the point is that when you first arrive in the UK to settle, no one cares if you are a citizen or not.    I know from experience that real estate agents do not care if you're a citizen or not, for instance -- they only want to know you have a job or have some other way to pay the rent.   Banks don't care -- they want some form of ID but they won't fully open an account for you, until you show proof of an address in the UK.

When I came home last year part of the process of renting a flat was proving that I had the right to live here - either a Brit passport or a visa showing I was here legally. The agents said they have to do a lot more work if its a tourist visa (eg here in an Aus passport with only 6 months entry) as they cannot legally rent for longer than the entry permission allows.) I forget the name of it, but there was an audible sigh of relief at seeing the Brit passport instead f an Aussie one when they new where I was coming from. It also made it easier going for jobs as they could see instantly that I had permission to work  and they did not have to do any further checks. 

I guess it depends on what your prioirities are coming back. Getting a GP is of no interest to me, and I already had a bank account. Thats why in the last post I said we would have to agree to differ. 

Edited to add - being curious I looked it up 

https://homelet.co.uk/tenants/blog/why-is-my-landlord-asking-for-my-passport

Edited by Nemesis

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, rtritudr said:

If he's in the UK on the strength of his Australian passport, then banks are going to be weary about opening an account for him due to Anti-Money-Laundering laws.

Plenty of Australians live in the UK and open banks accounts without any issues.  That’s the same for many thousands of others living/working in the UK with a passport from another country.  His passport will not stop him opening a bank account.   This persons situation is even easier as the application to open an account will ask him for his nationalities.  He can put UK and Australian.  No one will be asked to evidence their nationality, they are asked for a document that identifies them, such as their passport. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

When I came home last year part of the process of renting a flat was proving that I had the right to live here - either a Brit passport or a visa showing I was here legally.

That's interesting, they must have tightened up recently.  No one asked us that question in 2015.

14 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's interesting, they must have tightened up recently.  No one asked us that question in 2015.

it's the law and has been for some years. As a UK landlord you can be prosecuted for allowing non eligible people to rent your property.  I personally had the case of an American applicant,  who had a start up business in the UK, try to get round this by trying to sign a tenancy agreement as a corporate entity. But the law applies to the individual occupier, not the legal entity. 

• Like 1

On 01/05/2024 at 20:48, Amber Snowball said:

You get issued with an NI number at age of 16. Perhaps you don't get a nice little card in the post like you used to! However you can go and get one by attending the local DWP office. They will expect ID ... a UK passport so that is definitely top priority. Plus a UK address, which is hard to prove until you've been offered a job or obtained a bank account. My step son also found it challenging to come back to the UK from Australia as an adult because of the circuitous nature of not being able to get ID without having ID. but it takes perseverence and it starts with geting a UK passport and NI number.

33 minutes ago, bonanza said:

You get issued with an NI number at age of 16. Perhaps you don't get a nice little card in the post like you used to! However you can go and get one by attending the local DWP office. They will expect ID ... a UK passport so that is definitely top priority. Plus a UK address, which is hard to prove until you've been offered a job or obtained a bank account. My step son also found it challenging to come back to the UK from Australia as an adult because of the circuitous nature of not being able to get ID without having ID. but it takes perseverence and it starts with geting a UK passport and NI number.

I might still have my little card somewhere! 😅

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nemesis said:

When I came home last year part of the process of renting a flat was proving that I had the right to live here - either a Brit passport or a visa showing I was here legally. The agents said they have to do a lot more work if its a tourist visa (eg here in an Aus passport with only 6 months entry) as they cannot legally rent for longer than the entry permission allows.) I forget the name of it, but there was an audible sigh of relief at seeing the Brit passport instead f an Aussie one when they new where I was coming from. It also made it easier going for jobs as they could see instantly that I had permission to work  and they did not have to do any further checks. 

I guess it depends on what your prioirities are coming back. Getting a GP is of no interest to me, and I already had a bank account. Thats why in the last post I said we would have to agree to differ. 

Edited to add - being curious I looked it up 

https://homelet.co.uk/tenants/blog/why-is-my-landlord-asking-for-my-passport

Without residency you won't get access to the NHS, plus there are many other things that residency gives you. You won't get residency without right to abode. Hence that is why residency is stronger. But of course having both residency and a British passport is even better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Manna said:

Without residency you won't get access to the NHS, plus there are many other things that residency gives you. You won't get residency without right to abode. Hence that is why residency is stronger. But of course having both residency and a British passport is even better.

And register to vote as soon as possible. Being on the electoral register for 6 months gets you a credit record too.

• Like 1