Driving tests in WA

Malisa

Hi, 

We are planning a move to WA in the new year, my 18 year old son has been having weekly driving lessons for 10 months but unfortunately we can’t get a test before we move. Does anyone know the requirements for him to take a test in WA, I’m hoping his driving lessons here will just mean he needs some local practice rather than starting from scratch as we’ve already paid out so much money on lessons 🤞 

TIA

2 hours ago, Malisa said:

Hi, 

We are planning a move to WA in the new year, my 18 year old son has been having weekly driving lessons for 10 months but unfortunately we can’t get a test before we move. Does anyone know the requirements for him to take a test in WA, I’m hoping his driving lessons here will just mean he needs some local practice rather than starting from scratch as we’ve already paid out so much money on lessons 🤞 

TIA

I think you need to drive for around 200 hours and keep a log book. Basically the rules are the same, except they undertake on the left, you can't park on the opposite side of the road, and merging is a nightmare. But the traffic is much lighter. In fact, if you can drive in England, this should be a walk in the park. But the tests do seem to be quite hard.

10 hours ago, Malisa said:

Thank you for the info, do you know if we can include the hours he has had with a driving instructor in the UK in the log book?

No.

It's actual 50 hours but none of that needs to be with a driving instructor. As long as you have a license you can do it.

19 minutes ago, Malisa said:

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately our cars are both automatic so we are relying on the instructor and his car for the test which makes a  cancellation difficult, we are still trying to find a way around that though. 

Everyone in Australia drives an automatic car.  Only about 3% of cars sold in Australia are manual transmission.  So when he gets to WA, chances are he'll have to do his driving test in an automatic because instructors won't have a manual car.

Edited by Marisawright

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Everyone in Australia drives an automatic car.  Only about 3% of cars sold in Australia are manual transmission.  So when he gets to WA, chances are he'll have to do his driving test in an automatic because instructors won't have a manual car.

My daughter did hers in a manual a couple of years ago. A quick google search shows a lot of instructors with manuals. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, welljock said:

My daughter did hers in a manual a couple of years ago. A quick google search shows a lot of instructors with manuals. 

That's interesting, I wonder why anyone bothers getting a manual licence these days in Australia, when manual cars are so rare.   

My point is that if @Malisa's son is able to drive her automatic, then he could do his test in her automatic in the UK before he arrives, and he'd be able to drive in Australia because it's going to be very rare that he'll need to drive a manual car.  And if he does want a manual, he can do the upgrade test.

I remember even when we first arrived in Australia (Victoria), we had to buy an automatic car even though my partner wanted a manual, because we couldn't afford a new car and there simply weren't any second-hand manuals available. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-17/manual-cars-and-licences-are-becoming-rarer/102222420

Edited by Marisawright

In SA at least there is no difference if you pass your test in an automatic you can still drive a manual, though many never do. Unlike in the UK where a manual test allows you to drive automatic but not the other way around. 
I used to hate automatics but new ones are much better and now I wouldn’t go back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

In SA at least there is no difference if you pass your test in an automatic you can still drive a manual, though many never do. Unlike in the UK where a manual test allows you to drive automatic but not the other way around. 
I used to hate automatics but new ones are much better and now I wouldn’t go back. 

SA allows that?!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Marisawright said:

All the more reason to find a way to do test in the UK then.  He if returns to the UK he’d be stuck with only being allowed to drive an automatic. 

Edited by Tulip1

On 28/11/2023 at 09:47, welljock said:

A lot still do manual here too, my kids included and the majority of their friends. Its probably around 50 / 50 overall i would guess. We preffered they had a manual licence as some jobs do require a manual licence. 4wdriving is also popular and manuals are much better for that type of stuff too imo.

Cal x

• Like 1

In WA a C-A licence is for automatic vehicles. A manual car licence is a C licence.

https://www.wa.gov.au/service/transport/road-transport/upgrade-or-add-drivers-licence-category#:~:text=Car licence&text=You can upgrade from the,practical driving test in advance.

The waits for vehicle licensing etc are nothing like as bad as I have experienced in UK or Brisbane.

Plenty of reasons to get a manual licence and plenty not to bother. My wife only has an automatic - it's better that way. I shipped my Lotus. It's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DrDougster said:

In WA a C-A licence is for automatic vehicles. A manual car licence is a C licence.

https://www.wa.gov.au/service/transport/road-transport/upgrade-or-add-drivers-licence-category#:~:text=Car licence&text=You can upgrade from the,practical driving test in advance.

The waits for vehicle licensing etc are nothing like as bad as I have experienced in UK or Brisbane.

Plenty of reasons to get a manual licence and plenty not to bother. My wife only has an automatic - it's better that way. I shipped my Lotus. It's a lot of fun.

What other states in their right mind would allow you to simply drive a manual whilst only completing an automatic test. Sounds crazy and dangerous. The skill of driving is very different!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, benj1980 said:

What other states in their right mind would allow you to simply drive a manual whilst only completing an automatic test. Sounds crazy and dangerous. The skill of driving is very different!

Vic do, unless your license is restricted to A only for a specific reason. To be fair people don’t just get in an automatic for the first time and start commuting.  They would stall it for a start!  Country kids drive old bangers and trucks on their properties as soon as they can reach the pedals and they are usually manual.  My friend used to drive the old car to the gate (on a farm this can be a long way) then get the school bus long before she could legally learn to drive. 
Yes the actual mechanics are different but road skills are the same. 

On 29/11/2023 at 05:43, Tulip1 said:

All the more reason to find a way to do test in the UK then.  He if returns to the UK he’d be stuck with only being allowed to drive an automatic. 

I think we're losing sight of @Malisa's problem here. She's saying there is NO way he can do his test on a manual car before they leave, because they're dependent on the instructor's availabilty. So that means his only choice is to go through all the hassle of logbooks and a test when he gets to Australia.

She also mentioned that she and her partner both have automatics and potentially they could get a test appointment using their own car.  That would mean he'd only get an automatic licence, but for everyday purposes in Australia that's likely all he would need.  Then he arrives in Australia and just transfers his licence and off he goes. If he wants to drive a manual later than he can always do an upgrade. 

Of course that assumes he's had some practice driving their cars!

Edited by Marisawright