Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189) (Points-Tested Stream)

Louise1234

Hi,

My family and I applied for the EOI on the 4th August, claiming 65 points - I am a teacher. We have still to hear anything back. I was wondering why it would be taking so long? Has anyone else heard anything back or what is the timeframe for the EOI. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Louise

Hi 

Length of time passed isn't a good indicator here. There are a lot of variables at play. The three biggest are 

1) number of visas available

2) average family size

4) your points score 

So in order 

1) in 2023/24 just over 30,000 skilled independent visas are available, of that it looks like around 15000 are allocated to state sponsorship (190 or 491) leaving 15k for 189 visas

2) average family size, so the largest group of people applying for visas are coming as a couple (one applicant with a partner accompanying). There are lots of families with kids as well though so the average 189 application is for 3 people (2 adults and a child). As each person needs a visa, this takes the available pot down to 5000 applications that can be successful (across the entire globe)

Now whilst it isn't staggered completely evenly across the year, they don't make all awards in July and then nothing else until May the following year it is broadly spread, so we can assume they will give out 400 189 awards a month (using 1200 visas based on the family size discussion)

3) your points, this is a competition, Australia wants the best so it will always invite the people with highest points first (say 100 points) and then if any spaces left that month move down the list of EOI until eventually (if they haven't reached their target they get to people with 65 points). In each points category the time in queue matters so within the 65 point group as you stay there longer you will get to the top of that queue, but if there are always 400 higher scoring EIO each month you will never get invited.

If you know which state you want to live in why not apply for a 190, the states don't follow these competitive rules they can select on their own criteria (and if you know where you want to live there is little difference between a 189 and a 190)

The official statements (and some of the lower rent migration agents - not the good ones) make it seem like 65 points is a ticket to the land in the sun 

It isn't, think about it like a job that needs a degree, if you haven't got one you needn't both applying but if you've got a third and 5000 people apply with firsts, you aren't getting the job even though you met the mandatory conditions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louise1234 said:

Hi,

My family and I applied for the EOI on the 4th August, claiming 65 points - I am a teacher. We have still to hear anything back. I was wondering why it would be taking so long? Has anyone else heard anything back or what is the timeframe for the EOI. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Louise

There hasn’t been a 189 invitation round since then. Have you also included a 190 in your EOI, as that would make sense. 

2 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

The official statements (and some of the lower rent migration agents - not the good ones) make it seem like 65 points is a ticket to the land in the sun

To be fair to my lower rent colleagues, there were plenty of invites at 65 points in teaching professions at the last 189 invitation round in May.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Hi 

Length of time passed isn't a good indicator here. There are a lot of variables at play. The three biggest are 

2) average family size

4) your points score 

So in order 

1) in 2023/24 just over 30,000 skilled independent visas are available, of that it looks like around 15000 are allocated to state sponsorship (190 or 491) leaving 15k for 189 visas

2) average family size, so the largest group of people applying for visas are coming as a couple (one applicant with a partner accompanying). There are lots of families with kids as well though so the average 189 application is for 3 people (2 adults and a child). As each person needs a visa, this takes the available pot down to 5000 applications that can be successful (across the entire globe)

Now whilst it isn't staggered completely evenly across the year, they don't make all awards in July and then nothing else until May the following year it is broadly spread, so we can assume they will give out 400 189 awards a month (using 1200 visas based on the family size discussion)

3) your points, this is a competition, Australia wants the best so it will always invite the people with highest points first (say 100 points) and then if any spaces left that month move down the list of EOI until eventually (if they haven't reached their target they get to people with 65 points). In each points category the time in queue matters so within the 65 point group as you stay there longer you will get to the top of that queue, but if there are always 400 higher scoring EIO each month you will never get invited.

If you know which state you want to live in why not apply for a 190, the states don't follow these competitive rules they can select on their own criteria (and if you know where you want to live there is little difference between a 189 and a 190)

It isn't, think about it like a job that needs a degree, if you haven't got one you needn't both applying but if you've got a third and 5000 people apply with firsts, you aren't getting the job even though you met the mandatory conditions.

What happened to number 3? This reminds me of the scene in Gavin and Stacey when Smithy lists things and says 1), b) and 3). Gave me a giggle. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Louise1234 said:

Hi,

Louise

That’s really not that long. Just try to chill and tell yourself it could take up to 2 years and try not to obsess. Easier said than done I know. I was one of the ‘lucky’ ones recently to get the 189 on 65 points as a secondary teacher and the whole thing took 6 months start to finish. This was much much quicker than we expected though. Good luck I hope it all works out for you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Hi 

2) average family size

4) your points score 

So in order 

I dunno. If you had a third and daddy had tapped his friend on the shoulder, you might stand a chance.

And looking at the number of firsts and 2:1s they seem to just hand out nowadays, heavens only knows what it would take to get a third... probably a more difficult achievement in some respects.

20 hours ago, BendigoBoy said:

I dunno. If you had a third and daddy had tapped his friend on the shoulder, you might stand a chance.

And looking at the number of firsts and 2:1s they seem to just hand out nowadays, heavens only knows what it would take to get a third... probably a more difficult achievement in some respects.

After your first job nobody even asks to see your transcript! 

30 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

After your first job nobody even asks to see your transcript! 

Never been asked for my transcript by anyone other than universities I went on to do further study at, or the ACS/DIBP for immigration.

The hell kind of weird job interviewer wants to see a transcript!?

Oh we care about your degree class, unless you've got cast iron global experience going back 15+ years you aren't getting into the company I work with without a first, and we check. 

Think big 4, and you'll have a 25% chance of being correct (although they all have the same rules and they all employ background checkers to make sure)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Oh we care about your degree class, unless you've got cast iron global experience going back 15+ years you aren't getting into the company I work with without a first, and we check. 

Think big 4, and you'll have a 25% chance of being correct (although they all have the same rules and they all employ background checkers to make sure)

PwC Australia probably only hired people with a 1st and look where that got them recently.

• Haha 2

We are in a similar situation we lodged our 189 and 491 visa on the 10th of August with the help of Paul Hand. My wife is the primary candidate with 80 points as a mental health nurse. I was hoping that we would have seen another round of invites but seems very quiet with no real indication of one. 

guess they are just catching up on all the invites they released in December 2022 but some indication would be good. 

patience is key in this process I guess but it doesn’t stop me opening my emails daily with a level of anticipation. 

Good luck if I hear anything I will let you know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Good for you. You’d think such high fliers would be able to do a less than 5 item list accurately! Mwahahaha

Edited by Cheery Thistle
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Good for you. You’d think such high fliers would be able to do a less than 5 item list accurately! Mwahahaha

I mean if you check and read my post carefully (actually it doesn't need much careful reading it's all there in back and white) you will see there are indeed 3 points in it (and they are numbered).

If you can't discern that from reading the text that isn't my fault, maybe have a word with your school teachers