Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189) (Points-Tested Stream)

Louise1234

2 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I mean if you check and read my post carefully (actually it doesn't need much careful reading it's all there in back and white) you will see there are indeed 3 points in it (and they are numbered).

If you can't discern that from reading the text that isn't my fault, maybe have a word with your school teachers

I think the mild amusement is coming from your mistake on the numbering. Escalated from mild to rather amusing now after such a sure footed response...

• Haha 2

I thought it was maybe down to those who work in finance avoiding the number 3 like the plague when writing any bullet points down.

If you had someone pronounce three as 'free' (all too bloody disturbingly common in Ayrshire), this could *very* well lead to a stampede in a room full of bankers as they try to grab the point and sell it on for a profit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 28/11/2023 at 02:21, Ausvisitor said:

I mean if you check and read my post carefully (actually it doesn't need much careful reading it's all there in back and white) you will see there are indeed 3 points in it (and they are numbered).

If you can't discern that from reading the text that isn't my fault, maybe have a word with your school teachers

You mean black and white I think? 

My teachers did a great job, cheers! 

On 28/11/2023 at 04:58, DrDougster said:

I think the mild amusement is coming from your mistake on the numbering. Escalated from mild to rather amusing now after such a sure footed response...

Indeed mon ami. Actually this just keeps getting better. I’m just here for the lols.

Edited by Cheery Thistle

10 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Indeed mon ami. Actually this just keeps getting better. I’m just here for the lols.

That's the spirit, old boy!!!

(Edited to clarify: regardless of the 71 genders, I always say "old boy". I reserve "old girl" for the TARDIS)

Edited by BendigoBoy
  • Haha 2

On 28/11/2023 at 05:19, BendigoBoy said:

I thought it was maybe down to those who work in finance avoiding the number 3 like the plague when writing any bullet points down.

If you had someone pronounce three as 'free' (all too bloody disturbingly common in Ayrshire), this could *very* well lead to a stampede in a room full of bankers as they try to grab the point and sell it on for a profit.

Omg, an old boss of mine could not for the life of him pronounce ‘th’. He was actually pretty intelligent and probably one of the best leaders I have worked for, but I just used to internally cringe when he did presentations! I think he was actually from Dunbartonshire not Ayrshire.

Re: transcript/degree cert in my head they are one and the same and nobody has asked me for either in any of my recent jobs. Once you’re past the first role experience and references seem far more relevant and important. In my current job the soft skills are actually far more important than the technical ones, even though the technical ones are what produce the output. Without those soft skills you’re just never getting there! 

• Like 1

Just now, Cheery Thistle said:

Omg, an old boss of mine could not for the life of him pronounce ‘th’. He was actually pretty intelligent and probably one of the best leaders I have worked for, but I just used to internally cringe when he did presentations! I think he was actually from Dunbartonshire not Ayrshire.

Re: transcript/degree cert in my head they are one and the same and nobody has asked me for either in any of my recent jobs. Once you’re past the first role experience and references seem far more relevant and important. In my current job the soft skills are actually far more important than the technical ones, even though the technical ones are what produce the output. Without those soft skills you’re just never getting there! 

Yeah, just down the road.  Dumbarton's had a rough run of it.  Nice and close to Loch Lomond - and that's about all you can give it credit for, sadly.

Fair shout on the semantics, mate.  I completely agree with you on soft skills and *ACTUALLY BLOODY DOING SOMETHING* as means of demonstrating your worth.  Let's just say my engineering lizard brain kicked in and had to make the point for the sake of clarity.  There was no offence intended - and I certainly hadn't meant to troll you.

• Haha 1

https://metro.co.uk/2023/11/29/man-rescued-getting-stuck-glory-hole-19900585/?ico=related-posts

This could very possibly be the BEST click bait link EVER. 

It was so good that I actually got a phone call from the boss at work when I posted it in Slack and explained: Look, mate.  Click on the bloody thing.  It's not dirty.  It's just your mind that is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

Yeah, just down the road.  Dumbarton's had a rough run of it.  Nice and close to Loch Lomond - and that's about all you can give it credit for, sadly.

Fair shout on the semantics, mate.  I completely agree with you on soft skills and *ACTUALLY BLOODY DOING SOMETHING* as means of demonstrating your worth.  Let's just say my engineering lizard brain kicked in and had to make the point for the sake of clarity.  There was no offence intended - and I certainly hadn't meant to troll you.

My cleaner is from Dumbarton. She is literally terrifying! But I trust her with my life lol. Literally the best kind of person. But a wee bit scary. I actually think being a wee bit scary is more or less necessary in the modern world.

One of my managers was up from her farm in Lincolnshire a few weeks ago. We got kicked out of the building when there was a fire alarm so I took her to Grand Central wine bar (at Glasgow Central). On approach she remarked on some of the ‘characters’ hanging about outside. I said it’s a bit rough round here but to be fair I’ve never really had any bother and never even really felt I have to be that ‘aware’ of my belongings etc.  At this point she just looked at me and said ‘I can’t imagine you have ever had any bother with the vibe you give off’. Strangely, this made me feel rather proud hahaha! I mean I’m only 5 foot 2!! Not sure how this magic power will translate on to my reference to be fair……

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

My cleaner is from Dumbarton. She is literally terrifying! But I trust her with my life lol. Literally the best kind of person. But a wee bit scary. I actually think being a wee bit scary is more or less necessary in the modern world.

One of my managers was up from her farm in Lincolnshire a few weeks ago. We got kicked out of the building when there was a fire alarm so I took her to Grand Central wine bar (at Glasgow Central). On approach she remarked on some of the ‘characters’ hanging about outside. I said it’s a bit rough round here but to be fair I’ve never really had any bother and never even really felt I have to be that ‘aware’ of my belongings etc.  At this point she just looked at me and said ‘I can’t imagine you have ever had any bother with the vibe you give off’. Strangely, this made me feel rather proud hahaha! I mean I’m only 5 foot 2!! Not sure how this magic power will translate on to my reference to be fair……

This is very true, about a wee bit scary.
We get on splendidly well with our neighbours.  To our left is the most dear-hearted woman you could imagine.
But, and I revert to my Classicist tendencies here, she calls a spade a spade (this was originally a fragment of poetry attributed to Sappho [I think it was], and the particular dialect of Greek used, spade and penis are interchangeable).
Last year, I was watching Castlevania on Netflix in the living room, and suddenly saw this reflection in the TV screen... Seemed odd.  Turned round and looked out the window to the nature strip past our front garden.  Our neighbour was weeding out there.

Turned to the wife:  Love, could you go out there and tell her to bugger off and stop weeding our nature strip? I'm too bloody scared...

A lovely personality coupled with a bit of putting the fear of God into people... Not a bad thing.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I mean I’m only 5 foot 2!! Not sure how this magic power will translate on to my reference to be fair……

The wife's 5'4.  I've never been more terrified of a small person in my life...

Grand Central?  That's not, by any chance, either the old crappy Yates' wine lodge rebranded, or they turned that hotel they had there into a wine bar, is it?  Been donkey's years since I was in there.  Used to work on Gordon Street for a while back in the day and catch the evening train to Killie every night.  Starbucks must have made a fortune out of me.  Thankfully, Melbourne taught me what coffee actually is.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BendigoBoy said:

The wife's 5'4.  I've never been more terrified of a small person in my life...

Grand Central?  That's not, by any chance, either the old crappy Yates' wine lodge rebranded, or they turned that hotel they had there into a wine bar, is it?  Been donkey's years since I was in there.  Used to work on Gordon Street for a while back in the day and catch the evening train to Killie every night.  Starbucks must have made a fortune out of me.  Thankfully, Melbourne taught me what coffee actually is.

There’s a champagne bar in the hotel. It was really nice when it first opened and is ok now. It’s handy if you get stuck waiting for the train (or get turfed out of work early for a fire drill!). 

• Like 1

On 24/11/2023 at 21:04, Louise1234 said:

Hi,

My family and I applied for the EOI on the 4th August, claiming 65 points - I am a teacher. We have still to hear anything back. I was wondering why it would be taking so long? Has anyone else heard anything back or what is the timeframe for the EOI. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Louise

As we seem to be getting off track and this isnt CTF i thought id post a reminder of the OPs post.

Thanks guys

Cal x

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/11/2023 at 11:04, Louise1234 said:

Hi,

My family and I applied for the EOI on the 4th August, claiming 65 points - I am a teacher. We have still to hear anything back. I was wondering why it would be taking so long? Has anyone else heard anything back or what is the timeframe for the EOI. Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Louise

I heard there was quite a large invitation round today…hope you got one! 

On 27/11/2023 at 12:00, Ausvisitor said:

Oh we care about your degree class, unless you've got cast iron global experience going back 15+ years you aren't getting into the company I work with without a first, and we check. 

Think big 4, and you'll have a 25% chance of being correct (although they all have the same rules and they all employ background checkers to make sure)

In fairness I worked at EY for 2 years as an Audi Associate without a degree, got in on the school leavers programme, it was an interesting experience. Ended up not being for me and now I'm a Maths teacher, but other routes are always out there! 😀