Hobart - best city!

unzippy

2 hours ago, unzippy said:

I like it because of its small size.  I really don't like cities at all.  I like the old sandstone buildings in the older parts - a lot character.  I also like the real pubs with a bit of atmosphere.  We were there a couple of weeks ago (3 hour drive from Devonport) and met friends for a pub lunch and stayed overnight in Hadley's Hotel in the town centre.  Had a lovely time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

I like it because of its small size.  I really don't like cities at all.  I like the old sandstone buildings in the older parts - a lot character.  I also like the real pubs with a bit of atmosphere.  We were there a couple of weeks ago (3 hour drive from Devonport) and met friends for a pub lunch and stayed overnight in Hadley's Hotel in the town centre.  Had a lovely time.

Very nice, was Hadley's where you had lunch too?

3 minutes ago, unzippy said:

Very nice, was Hadley's where you had lunch too?

We had lunch in the Shipwrights Arms in Battery Point.   I could live in that area very easily .............  when I win the lottery.  One of those little houses in Arthur Circus, Battery Point would do me very nicely.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Toots said:

It's got nice pubs - I'll give you that!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

We had lunch in the Shipwrights Arms in Battery Point.   I could live in that area very easily .............  when I win the lottery.  One of those little houses in Arthur Circus, Battery Point would do me very nicely.

Yep, I know it - one of my favourite fishing spots is just down the road from the Shipwrights!

https://goo.gl/maps/wFau2Ga79xzdrjQ48

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Voted best City to visit by readers of a travel mag, many of whom live in Sydney or Melbourne, 

It was a survey by  the  US "Travel + Leisure" magazine and the respondents appear to be its own home market judging by the introduction:  "Many U.S. travelers view a trip to Oceania as a once-in-a-lifetime feat."

4 hours ago, Toots said:

"Shippies" was where we had the wake for my husband in 2011.  Seemed appropriate as we'd had some nice meals there, he'd frequented it a lot in his uni student days when he lived in Battery Point (in the olden  days when it was the cheapest place for students to live 🙂  )and his dad, being a yachtie had spent much of his life (and liver) there.    Used to be  a photo of his dad in the bar (don't know if it is still there).

Edited by Skani
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, InnerVoice said:

Not to mention that it's a city by name only. In terms of size it's just a big town.

The runner up in this US travel magazine reader survey was Queenstown, New Zealand, so their definition of city is something other than a large metropolitan area.

I absolutely love Hobart. Have been visiting for 20 years. The only downside for me is the lack of choice and convenience when it comes to shopping whether its clothes, cars or hardware. 

It all depends on what floats your boat. m- If you want a laugh, look up the Jimmy Rees skit on Tasmania!

https://www.tiktok.com/@jimmyrees/video/7205727091143298305

Have a great weekend!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Where isn't the best at something in Australia? Melbourne worlds most livable???? Never been to Hobart but surely an exaggeration? I'd have thought comparable with Dunedin in NZ? Perfectly okay. Nice vista. But limited in most ways. 

Mr anti Australia strikes again. Always here with your negativity.  Dunedin is not like Hobart.  In fact I didn't like Dunedin.  Maybe it was the time of year we were there but it just seemed very damp and had no atmosphere about it.  Queenstown is more my kind of place but VERY expensive.  I have a nephew who lives there and he loves it.  

Sure there are a lot of drawbacks with any place.  I'm waiting for you to find your Utopia.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Never been to Hobart but surely an exaggeration? I'd have thought comparable with Dunedin in NZ? Perfectly okay. Nice vista. But limited in most ways. 

It was a reader poll by US tourists in a US travel magazine (Travel + Leisure) for their preferred tourist destinations.  I daresay those who had visited have more knowledge than you. 

From the magazine:

"Cities were specifically rated on the criteria below:

• Sights/landmarks
  • Culture
  • Food
  • Friendliness
  • Shopping
  • Value

For each characteristic, respondents could choose a rating of excellent, above average, average, below average, or poor. The final scores are averages of these responses. "

Edited by Skani
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Elliott said:

I absolutely love Hobart. Have been visiting for 20 years. The only downside for me is the lack of choice and convenience when it comes to shopping whether its clothes, cars or hardware. I

You obviously have to change your interests:  apparently it's top of the pops for outdoor adventure gear - so the fit and adventurous tell me.  😀

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Mr anti Australia strikes again. Always here with your negativity.  Dunedin is not like Hobart.  In fact I didn't like Dunedin.  Maybe it was the time of year we were there but it just seemed very damp and had no atmosphere about it.  Queenstown is more my kind of place but VERY expensive.  I have a nephew who lives there and he loves it.  

Sure there are a lot of drawbacks with any place.  I'm waiting for you to find your Utopia.

A lot to express displeasure about. What would pass as normal commentary in most other places, tends to always ruffle feathers when Australia is mentioned . But never the less. Upwards and onwards. Not seeking Utopia, but a least a few more ticks that what Hobart would allow. Better in my view to question the validity of such a report than accept an outcome without comment. 

I've never heard anything beyond the waterfront in Hobart being described as anything of note. I have heard it described as expensive, lacking much vibe, poor weather and limited public transport. 

2 hours ago, Skani said:

It was a reader poll by US tourists in a US travel magazine (Travel + Leisure) for their preferred tourist destinations.  I daresay those who had visited have more knowledge than you. 

From the magazine:

"Cities were specifically rated on the criteria below:

• Sights/landmarks
  • Culture
  • Food
  • Friendliness
  • Shopping
  • Value

For each characteristic, respondents could choose a rating of excellent, above average, average, below average, or poor. The final scores are averages of these responses. "

Nope. Never heard commentary from visitors there suggested of giving any ticks to any of the above, with the exception of the first. (Sights and landmarks) One does 'wonder' about some of these survey's. 

19 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Voted best City to visit by readers of a travel mag, many of whom live in Sydney or Melbourne, and who want to get away from the big city they live in when they travel.  Makes sense.

About as much sense as Mandurah being termed the top destination in WA.  Not sure just why residents from Melbourne and Sydney would be passing commentary in an American travel magazine. 

4 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Not sure just why residents from Melbourne and Sydney would be passing commentary in an American travel magazine. 

It was his speculation only they were from Melbourne and Sydney:    I don't think he knew it was an American magazine. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

I've never heard anything beyond the waterfront in Hobart being described as anything of note. I have heard it described as expensive, lacking much vibe, poor weather and limited public transport. 

Yes, that's why 15,000 interstate visitors arrived in Hobart in June - for the poor weather and lacking vibe. They mistakenly did not seek your advice first and have misguidedly booked a return visit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Skani said:

Yes, that's why 15,000 interstate visitors arrived in Hobart in June - for the poor weather and lacking vibe. They mistakenly did not seek your advice first and have misguidedly booked a return visit. 

I do miss a good old bit of British sarcasm, thanks for brightening up my day! X

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skani said:

The best times I had in Australia were all in Tassie. Some amazing weather, always plenty to see, both in Hobart and around the rest of the island. Never ever got bored even though I used to make at least two trips a year, for the last 24 years! It was my escape from the heat and humidity of Queensland, as even when Tassie got hot (I remember days of 38-42 degress there!) it was still less humid than Qld. It had the seasons and the changeable weather I missed from the UK, not sure how anyone could call it "poor" really, just cos they may prefer baking sun all the time. Plenty of vibe, even in some of the smaller country towns the oubs often had a fantastic atmosphere, and the vibe in Hobart itself could never be described as "lacking". 

From a transport point of view, I don't drive at all, but managed to see most of the island over the years. There are local buses, especially around the SE and Greater Hobart area. Good coach links to the other towns across the island, including up both the coasts, and I also often managed to get lifts from locals running the caravan parks or even the pubs, taking me to local coach pick up points etc. Even Pennicotts, who run the boat trips, used to give me rides on their tour buses to get out to stay on Bruny Island & back for a very small price. 

Very rarely encountered unfriendly locals, most were really friendly and talkative, especially when they realised I loved the island and wanted to see the smaller places as well as the main sights. 

My Tassie escape trips are probably the thing I will miss the most from Aus!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 14/07/2023 at 16:28, Skani said:

Well more fool them then.  I could have saved then a load of  cash. ( but I expect outside of Hobart  the scenery would prove more  interesting)  One may conclude after Melbourne being voted (how many times?) most livable city in the world, that the penny may just have dropped. Such surveys can be 'fun' to ponder over , but to take seriously really? 

I'm sure Hobart has its attributes,  but often heard it termed a middling town. Not a lot going on, but pleasant enough for a day or two. Not unlike Halifax in Nova Scotia or St Johns in Newfoundland or Tromso in Norway could equally fit the bill, for cooler climate destinations I expect. 

A return ticket? Really? You mean they were not over come by  the lure of Hobart to remain? Fancy that? No understanding some people.