Hobart - best city!

unzippy

On 14/07/2023 at 22:24, Nemesis said:

The best times I had in Australia were all in Tassie. Some amazing weather, always plenty to see, both in Hobart and around the rest of the island. Never ever got bored even though I used to make at least two trips a year, for the last 24 years! It was my escape from the heat and humidity of Queensland, as even when Tassie got hot (I remember days of 38-42 degress there!) it was still less humid than Qld. It had the seasons and the changeable weather I missed from the UK, not sure how anyone could call it "poor" really, just cos they may prefer baking sun all the time. Plenty of vibe, even in some of the smaller country towns the oubs often had a fantastic atmosphere, and the vibe in Hobart itself could never be described as "lacking". 

From a transport point of view, I don't drive at all, but managed to see most of the island over the years. There are local buses, especially around the SE and Greater Hobart area. Good coach links to the other towns across the island, including up both the coasts, and I also often managed to get lifts from locals running the caravan parks or even the pubs, taking me to local coach pick up points etc. Even Pennicotts, who run the boat trips, used to give me rides on their tour buses to get out to stay on Bruny Island & back for a very small price. 

Very rarely encountered unfriendly locals, most were really friendly and talkative, especially when they realised I loved the island and wanted to see the smaller places as well as the main sights. 

My Tassie escape trips are probably the thing I will miss the most from Aus!

Escapes? You make it sound like absconding from prison? The taste of 'freedom' even if only for a couple of hours, must indeed have been ingrained in your memory. But I'm a little puzzled. Just how did you give the guards the slip so many times? 

11 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Escapes? You make it sound like absconding from prison? 

You've been on these forums for years, yet you never noticed Nemesis wasn't happy in Australia?  You're trapped in Australia by your partner and/or your fear of making a wrong choice of destination. Surely you'd have a little empathy for those in similar situations.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

You've been on these forums for years, yet you never noticed Nemesis wasn't happy in Australia?  You're trapped in Australia by your partner and/or your fear of making a wrong choice of destination. Surely you'd have a little empathy for those in similar situations.  

Probably better I write the reasons I'm in Australia without you second guessing possible reasons I would prefer to make a success of a future move, rather than returning in a year admitting defeat. 

Empathy? Firstly had no idea that poster had returned nor the reasons. I in turn found little of what you term empathy , with living in the worlds Ice capital. Only met with total disdain , although this issue increasingly defines Perth and WA. Not just that poster , but pretty much all on here.

The feelings of concern, should perhaps be the direction this nation finds itself in.

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Escapes? You make it sound like absconding from prison? The taste of 'freedom' even if only for a couple of hours, must indeed have been ingrained in your memory. But I'm a little puzzled. Just how did you give the guards the slip so many times? 

For me it really WAS like absconding from prison. And when COVID happened and I couldn't even do that it had serious impacts on my mental health. I was trapped there firstly by marriage, secondly by debts accrued while in a marriage to someone on a very low income, then by the fact I wouldn't be able to do the job I loved if I went home.

I hated Queensland, and my trips to Tassie defiintely helped to keep me sane. 

Of course looking back, maybe I should have done what apparently every other person in Australia does, amnufactured and sold some drugs, then I could've escaped home quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

For me it really WAS like absconding from prison. And when COVID happened and I couldn't even do that it had serious impacts on my mental health. I was trapped there firstly by marriage, secondly by debts accrued while in a marriage to someone on a very low income, then by the fact I wouldn't be able to do the job I loved if I went home.

I hated Queensland, and my trips to Tassie defiintely helped to keep me sane. 

Of course looking back, maybe I should have done what apparently every other person in Australia does, amnufactured and sold some drugs, then I could've escaped home quicker. 

Well you may well have been seduced by the lucre to remain if did. We are after all, in WA and SA the biggest Ice centres in the world. When I say it is well entrenched here in WA , I mean exactly that. It is all around me. 

But somehow it escaped me your torrid time in Australia. I certainly find accord that Australia can be very taxing on one's mental health. I was astounded by what I discovered. Perfect environment though being a very private and rather closed  society. 

At least you made it out in the end, without the apparent need to turn your hand to shaking and baking. 

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Probably better I write the reasons I'm in Australia without you second guessing possible reasons I would prefer to make a success of a future move, rather than returning in a year admitting defeat. 

If that's meant to be a dig at me, your barb falls very wide of the mark.  

My year abroad taught me that Australia is the right place for me.  I had to spend that time overseas to find that out.  So I did not return "defeated", I returned feeling confident in my choice, so now -- unlike you -- I am not sitting here in perpetual uncertainty year after year, wishing I were somewhere else but lacking the courage to take the plunge.  Judging by your posts, it's making you bitter and twisted.  I do feel sorry for you but I'd have hoped it would make you feel some sympathy for others. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just had a weekend in Hobart and could easily live there. Originally from Wirral but live in Melbourne and i have always felt overwhelmed in Melb just so big, its getting worse it was 3mil pop when we came now approaching 6 mil. 
Hobart reminded me of home, nothing was rushed , lots of lovely pubs, bars, restaurants etc. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jehwal said:

Just had a weekend in Hobart and could easily live there. Originally from Wirral but live in Melbourne and i have always felt overwhelmed in Melb just so big, its getting worse it was 3mil pop when we came now approaching 6 mil. 
Hobart reminded me of home, nothing was rushed , lots of lovely pubs, bars, restaurants etc. 

Now all you have to do is get a job there...which wouldn't be hard to do from Melbourne, since it's only a quick plane hop.

1 hour ago, Jehwal said:

We've just had a few days in Hobart and enjoyed it.   Lovely atmosphere in the pubs.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, unzippy said:

Just passing through. 

This fire still blows me away, that log is easily a meter long!

New Sydney Hotel, best little pub in Hobart.

PXL_20240730_033719832.MP.jpg

PXL_20240730_032616301.jpg

One of my all time favourite drinking places for many years, and one of the very few things I miss! 

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1