190 Visa - what chance as a primary teacher??

OnTheFence

Hi all

After originally looking into emigrating over 10 years ago and deciding the time wasn’t right we’ve now decided it’s now or never. 

My husband would be the main applicant, he’s a primary teacher and is 44 this December so time is not on our side. He’s doing the academic IELTS this Saturday and submitting the skills assessment as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any experience of emigrating on this type of visa? What are our chances once we’re invited to apply? Which state would be most likely? We currently have 75 points. 

Any advice/experience/tips that could help us? Thank you!

Hi OP,

Because of your husbands’ age you really have a very small window to make it happen, but on the plus side it seems Australia is currently desperate for teachers so luck might be on your side.

if I were in your shoes I would stick in EoIs for 190, but also 491 as a back up. But I think probably the most useful thing would be to have a consultation with an agent - I have done my applications on my own and it is possible, but with so little time you would probably benefit from having an expert opinion around which states to target and how to go about it to maximise chance of selection etc. Any mistakes can cause lengthy delays and that could have serious repercussions for your plans! 

Good luck with your plans, and good luck to your husband this Saturday 🙂 

Oh, and also I saw something a migration agent posted on Facebook following a webinar with Migration Queensland, they have just reopened for offshore candidates and apparently are focusing on health, teaching and something else I can’t remember (tech?). Might be worth looking on the Migration Queensland website to see if your husband is eligible. Although I think all the states are keen for teachers to be honest!

All the states do seem desperate for teachers and if your hubbie was a secondary teacher they would absolutely bite his arm off.

As in most countries the crisis in attraction and retaining teaching staff is not as heavily felt in the primary age teaching

However an EOI costs nothing (except from the skills assessment and English test which it looks like you are doing anyway) so you don't lose anything by applying (the costs come after an invite)

6 hours ago, OnTheFence said:

My husband would be the main applicant, he’s a primary teacher and is 44 this December so time is not on our side.

I second the advice to hire an agent immediately.  Time is certainly not on your side.    An agent will be able to explain the pros and cons of applying for a 190 vs a 491.   Get quotes from Suncoast Migration and Go Matilda.

Do bear in mind that the 491 is a temporary visa.  Unlike most temporary visas, it has a clear pathway to a permanent visa.  However 491 visa holders were treated very shabbily by the Australian government during the pandemic so I'm much less confident recommending it to a family than I used to be. It's a big move to make without the security of a PR visa.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1