Pilbara with family ??

Hudsonsmumxx

Hello everyone! 🙂 

hope you can help! 

My Father in law lives in Perth Ans his partner works in the mines and knows families who have immigrated to Pilbara for 2 years to get their residency. My partner is a scaffolder and that is classed as a skill in that region. 

I just wondered if anybody has done that and if you have any pictures or can explain what is there and what the accommodation is like living there with family ( I have a 3 year old toddler) I don’t mind being secluded for 2 years - sounds kind of exciting for me coming from London tbh. 

Any help would be so appreciated as I can’t find much online !! 

thanks xx

I worked for a recruitment firm that had offices up there and the staff were always terrified they'd get posted there.  However they were usually young singles so it may be better for a family.  The main problem is the stinking heat.  Unless you've been in the tropics before, it's unlikely you've ever experienced anything remotely like it.

Not sure how you'd get your residency after 2 years though.  I assume you're talking about going on a 482 temp visa and then applying when eligible.   Do be aware that it's very far from guaranteed that you'll get residency at the end.  People talk about a "transition", but all it means is that you're eligible to apply for PR.  You can still get rejected.

It used to be easier and more predictable on the old temp visa (the 457) which is possibly what you've heard stories about. 

Edited by Marisawright

"The Pilbara"  is a huge region about twice the size of the UK.    If you do a search for a couple of the major towns there you should get a better idea of the townships and amenities.  Try Karratha and Port Hedland which are probably the largest (although only about 20,000 population each).

• Thanks 1

G'day, young lady, I lived in the Pilbara for a few years when it was a 'fledgling' region. Indeed, when I first went there, Karratha was only a sheep/cattle station. It is now the admin centre of the region and has exhorbitant costs for accommodation. PortHedland was a sleepy, 2 pub town but now is a huge iron ore port.

Much as I loved the region, I would be very hesitant to recommend it to a young family straight out of the UK. It can be done, though, if one has that certain attitude to heat, dust, flies and the redness of it all.

If you are determined to do it, I recommend Dampier to all the other towns that have sprung up 'overnight'. It has a sea breeze and views that make it liveable. And yes, I have lived in most towns except for Newman and Goldsworthy, building railroads and roads.

I wish you well.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I hav worked across Australia's mining regions and would be pretty hesitant in recommending it to someone who has not visited. 

What's your view on the rest of @Hudsonsmumxx's post?   She has been told it's a case of putting up with it for 2 or 3 years so they can get residency.  I've mentioned that it's not as cut-and-dried as that, perhaps you could share your experience of that?

5 minutes ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

My partners Dad (my child’s grandad) is an Australian citizen so it does help with our case to be honest. Thanks for your help! 🙂 

It many help but it still won't be easy.  Perhaps ask a migration agent for proper advice.  There are a few post on here.  Try @paulhand.

11 hours ago, Bobj said:

G'day, young lady, I lived in the Pilbara for a few years when it was a 'fledgling' region. Indeed, when I first went there, Karratha was only a sheep/cattle station. It is now the admin centre of the region and has exhorbitant costs for accommodation. PortHedland was a sleepy, 2 pub town but now is a huge iron ore port.

Much as I loved the region, I would be very hesitant to recommend it to a young family straight out of the UK. It can be done, though, if one has that certain attitude to heat, dust, flies and the redness of it all.

If you are determined to do it, I recommend Dampier to all the other towns that have sprung up 'overnight'. It has a sea breeze and views that make it liveable. And yes, I have lived in most towns except for Newman and Goldsworthy, building railroads and roads.

I wish you well.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thank you so much for your reply I really appreciated this xx 

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I worked for a recruitment firm that had offices up there and the staff were always terrified they'd get posted there.  However they were usually young singles so it may be better for a family.  The main problem is the stinking heat.  Unless you've been in the tropics before, it's unlikely you've ever experienced anything remotely like it.

Not sure how you'd get your residency after 2 years though.  I assume you're talking about going on a 482 temp visa and then applying when eligible.   Do be aware that it's very far from guaranteed that you'll get residency at the end.  People talk about a "transition", but all it means is that you're eligible to apply for PR.  You can still get rejected.

It used to be easier and more predictable on the old temp visa (the 457) which is possibly what you've heard stories about. 

Thank you x

16 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thank you for this info 🥰

16 hours ago, Skani said:

"The Pilbara"  is a huge region about twice the size of the UK.    If you do a search for a couple of the major towns there you should get a better idea of the townships and amenities.  Try Karratha and Port Hedland which are probably the largest (although only about 20,000 population each).

Thanks a lot 🥰

54 minutes ago, Hudsonsmumxx said:

My partners Dad (my child’s grandad) is an Australian citizen so it does help with our case to be honest. 

Was he a citizen before your partner was born?  If so, he can claim citizenship by descent and that means you'll just need a partner visa.   If not, then it will hardly count for anything, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

What's the hottest temperature you've ever experienced?  Here's this week's forecast for Karratha.  Remember this is April, which is the beginning of Autumn here, not Summer!

http://www.bom.gov.au/wa/forecasts/karratha.shtml

One of my jobs was to record the daily max/min temps and rainfall at the MKMO main camp near the new town of Wickham and recorded 29 consecutive days over the old century, a drop to 99 F for 2 days, then another 27 days over the 100 F. The hottest day was 115 F and a cold shower was not possible until 10pm.

To the op, is the Pilbara the only region you have been given?

Cheers, Bobj.

Oh wow ! That is hot haha all my family live in Perth so I’ve been in hot weather a lot but don’t fancy being somewhere that gets up to 50 degrees 😕 

tbh I would go anywhere in Australia if it helped me give my boy a better upbringing than the teenage stabbing we encounter in London. My partners dad is seeing a migration officer this week so we’ll see what we can do. I just know this region is crying out for scaffolders and my mother in law works in a high up job in the mines and knows of this getting residency once sponsored for two years if you live in this particular place ( I’m just going by what I’ve been told ) I know it won’t be an easy journey but just wanted some feedback. 

thanks 

• Like 1