Aldi Wine

Ausvisitor

Aldi wine is pretty good...was it an imported one? A lot of the Aldi brands are ghost marketing names, they don't actually exist but are used to sell high quality surplus wine at a cheaper price without revealing the name of the actual winery it's come from, who won't want to damage their usual retail pricing.

Costco also do some very good wine under the Kirkland brand, again you don't know the actual vineyard but they obviously have some very good deals setup with places that usually sell at a higher price under a different name.  Usually applies in the USA for Californian or South American wines, but occasionally Australia gets some imported.  Yet to discover whether they have deals with Aussie wineries.

I have a friend who's never bought a bottle of Aussie wine with a label on it..she grabs the clearskins from the baskets and reckons she's never had a bad one. Cheap as chips.

Not for sale in SA (boo) but whenever we are over the border we always stop and buy some.  I like the Spanish wines, the French rose and the Riverina Duriff.  The blackstone paddock range are often Barossa wines, not cheap at around $19 (for Aldi!) but worth buying.  I opened one for a wine “snob” mate a while back without her realising (she also looks down at Aldi) she thought it was amazing and was very surprised when I showed her the label.  I love her dearly but ………..

4 hours ago, Parley said:

I have developed a liking for a bottle of Shiraz at $6 a bottle from my local BWS.

The trouble is I drink the whole bottle on my own in one sitting.

Probably not great for my liver. Not every day but has crept up to about 4 times a week.

Way too much Parley. Try to cut down to 3 x week as a start and don't drink the while bottle. Using a smaller glass.helps. Go get some bloods done to see how your liver is faring.

• Like 2

Their award winning champagne and sparkling wine is my go to. 

The pictured bottle is under $8 and the Monsigny champagne is really good for $20

I haven't tried the cheap, cheap.bottles but I will revisit them. Used to drink cleanskin when we arrived but moved onto more pricey bottles, my tastes changed. We get a lot of Margaret River wines at Aldi in WA, not sure if its the same in other states. 

ALN2670_Q1_WEB_AUDIT__CHAMPAGNE_SPARKLING__PD_388x314_.jpg

2 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Aldi has some good wines if you select carefully, but also had some very headache inducing ones from there. I normally spend around $35 - $50 a bottle, because I like older reserve wines, which they don't sell in Aldi. Not being a wine snob, its just the cheaper younger wines give me migraines.

That's £20 a bottle, I get upset when I pay that in a restaurant, not paying that for a glass at home!

2 hours ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Aldi has some good wines if you select carefully, but also had some very headache inducing ones from there. I normally spend around $35 - $50 a bottle, because I like older reserve wines, which they don't sell in Aldi. Not being a wine snob, its just the cheaper younger wines give me migraines.

Are you aware of Langtons?  I used to have a permanent bidding number until I gave up drinking.  Used to buy old wines by the case.

https://www.langtons.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4K6_sOuN9gIVRg4rCh3IHgPCEAAYASAAEgL8TfD_BwE

10 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

That's £20 a bottle, I get upset when I pay that in a restaurant, not paying that for a glass at home!

🙂

I stopped comparing prices after about six weeks.

I don't buy wine in restaurants. I only go to restaurants that allow B.Y.O.

My every day quaffing wine is Mount Avoca Estate Chardonnay, which costs $25.

My favourite wine is Pooley Butchers Hill Chardonnay, which costs $60 - it is a special treat wine (birthdays, easter, christmas).

Don't tend to buy anything under $20 these days, just because the 220 preservative tends to be added more to the cheaper wines, and it makes me very sick with migraines.

Cannot remember what I use to pay for wine in the UK, as too long ago now.  I use to buy that disgusting Blue Nun mainly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

Picked up a bottle of ALDI preciois earth sauvignon blanc tonight, expected it to be a bit rough but it was actually really quite good as a drinking wine (rather than a posing wine)

All the better for it's 2.99 price tag (or 1.58 GBP)

I haven't been to aldi or Lidl since covid started. I always found their wine quite drinkable, but just a bit bland. It's almost like they sourced wine that wouldn't offend anyone. Their beer can be good too. They do a fantastic wheat beer.

These days I tend to look for wine which is on special. Something expensive which has been reduced, and buy a few bottles to stock up.

Although to be honest, since I started the home brewing I've been drinking mainly that.

I was in Aldi one time around Christmas and overheard a woman asking the sales assistant for a recommendation for an ‘oaky’ Chardonnay. That being one of my faves I interjected and pointed one out to her that I think is good- I think it’s around $15 a bottle. Which is exceedingly cheap for anything that has been in oak for more than 5 minutes. She turns to me, and in a loud Yorkshire accent almost shouts - ‘I’m not paying that much!!! You can get them cheaper than that!’ 
I thought - good luck with that one then- bloody tightarse lol 

Edited by HappyHeart

On 20/02/2022 at 09:07, Ausvisitor said:

I've still got 5 weeks to go then on price comparing if it stops at 6 weeks after arrival!

This BYO concept is new to me, back in the UK it's really rare, but here it seems pretty common

Byo is brilliant. There are a few places that do it in the UK, but not like Australia. Actually, on the south coast there are lots of tiny micro breweries that have popped up. They generally don't serve food, but are happy for you to bring local takeaways in and eat them with the beer. Seems to work really well.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2022 at 15:47, BeachBabe2022 said:

Try the Blackstone paddock range from Aldi, and some of the Spanish wines are reserva and older too (if you like that style).