Where to live in Sydney

Ausvisitor

9 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

So we get to Sydney (finally) on Feb 12th. Just been offered a job on George Street, where would be the best place to rent?

George Street is a very long street, which end will you be on (tell me the number and I can look it up).

For instance, if you're at the harbour end, you'll be close to Wynyard and the express buses that go over to the North Shore, which are very fast and efficient.  If you're right down at the other end, then you'd be better off staying south side.

Edited by Marisawright

20 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

340 George Street NSW 2000

Good spot.  That's very close to Wynyard Station, which is a major interchange for both trains and buses.  You can get to anywhere from Wynyard, but I would be looking at the North Shore myself. 

I say that because getting on buses or trains at Wynyard, and then going in any other direction, means a transit through several very busy city stations before you get out to the suburbs.  It's like sardines, with more and more people crowding on at every stop!   Whereas the trains from Wynyard go straight onto the Harbour Bridge and then you're out of the city, and people start getting off the train immediately, so you get some relief.  

It will depend on your budget how far out you go, of course.  Look at the stops along the train line from Wynyard.   Also check the buses, which will take you to Neutral Bay and onwards.  Alternatively you could walk the 10-15 minutes up to Circular Quay and take the ferry (expensive, but a lovely way to get to work). 

https://transportnsw.info/document/3953/buses-around-northern-beaches.pdf

https://transportnsw.info/document/2382/sydney-ferries-network-map-1017.pdf

https://transportnsw.info/document/4746/sydney-rail-network-map-5-jan.pdf

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2022 at 10:53, Ausvisitor said:

340 George Street NSW 2000

Good location for easy access

I use to work in the same area too, and loads of buses and train options from Wynyard station.

I would also sometimes (if feeling super energetic - as took one hour) walk home across the bridge to St Leonards. 

I would be looking on the North Shore too. Some really nice suburbs there, both lower and upper areas.  I really like, Lavender Bay, McMahons Point, Balmoral, Hunters Hill, Wollstonecraft, Wahroonga, Castle Cove and North Sydney 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Good location for easy access

I use to work in the same area too, and loads of buses and train options from Wynyard station.

I would also sometimes (if feeling super energetic - as took one hour) walk home across the bridge to St Leonards. 

I would be looking on the North Shore too. Some really nice suburbs there, both lower and upper areas.  I really like, Lavender Bay, McMahons Point, Balmoral, Hunters Hill, Wollstonecraft, Wahroonga, Castle Cove and North Sydney 

We rented in Wollstonecraft many years ago.  Very handy.  10 minute walk to the train station and a 10 minute walk from our sons' primary school.  I worked next to Wynyard station so a quick trip to work too. It took about 12 minutes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toots said:

We rented in Wollstonecraft many years ago.  Very handy. 

Yes. Wollstonecraft is a very handy location for the city CBD. Has bus, train, driving, bike and walking options. Although I would only drive if I was desperate (hate city parking). Good reserves, walking tracks and parks in Wollstonecraft. Hard to believe you are so close to the city. And within walking / wobbling distance of The Stoned Crow bar in Crows Nest. Rental prices are very reasonable too considering the location. 

4 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Yes. Wollstonecraft is a very handy location for the city CBD. Has bus, train, driving, bike and walking options. Although I would only drive if I was desperate (hate city parking). Good reserves, walking tracks and parks in Wollstonecraft. Hard to believe you are so close to the city. And within walking / wobbling distance of The Stoned Crow bar in Crows Nest. Rental prices are very reasonable too considering the location. 

We rented a townhouse opposite Brennan Park.  Couldn't afford to buy there unfortunately.  Yes Wollstonecraft has a lot going for it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ausvisitor said:

Thanks for all the great ideas, just 12 hours to the flight take off now, I expect sleep tonight will be like a five year old trying to stay up to see Santa on Christmas Eve

Nah, don't try and sleep, imagine yourself in your new time zone and then you'll sleep like a baby all through the flight! Safe travels! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So after much running around suburbs and staying a week in various places at a time we have settled on Marrickville. Seems to fit our needs well. 

I know Marrickville well.  Also the surrounding suburbs of Newtown, Petersham, Stanmore and Dulwich Hill.  All handy for getting into the city.

On 15/03/2022 at 21:36, Ausvisitor said:

So now feel like we have totally arrived.

1) House rented move in Friday

2) Car coming Saturday

3) Job starts 4th April

Not bad for coming over 4 weeks ago with nothing sorted except 1 weeks temp accomodation

Good stuff, it was tough when we first arrived living in an airbnb wife 6 months pregnant toddler running a muck. It got easier once we had a rental and, ultimately, our own home

Too late for me to recommend my own suburb, Surry Hills! You can walk to Wynyard from Surry Hills in 20 minutes, or two stops on the train from Central.

Marrickville is OK though. I think there's both bus and train to the city? There's good Vietnamese restaurants there if I remember rightly.

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Too late for me to recommend my own suburb, Surry Hills! You can walk to Wynyard from Surry Hills in 20 minutes, or two stops on the train from Central.

Marrickville is OK though. I think there's both bus and train to the city? There's good Vietnamese restaurants there if I remember rightly.

We looked at Surry Hills, quite liked it. A bit too gentrified for us though.

Our view was Surry Hills was the Sydney Islington where as Marrickville was the Camden/Brick Lane

(also SH was double the price so maybe that was really more the reason!!!)

We looked at Surry Hills, quite liked it. ....

MaryRose has lived in Surry Hills for 30-odd years, I think, and keeps forgetting how expensive it is for new arrivals.   I suspect he's sitting on a goldmine on his mortgage-free unit.

11 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

We looked at Surry Hills, quite liked it. A bit too gentrified for us though.

Our view was Surry Hills was the Sydney Islington where as Marrickville was the Camden/Brick Lane

The only possible thing I can think of that might be wrong with Islington is that it's close to Arsenal?

I don't know London. I remember walking thru Southwark maybe and thinking I liked it 

I'm from The New Forest south west of Southampton. I think I should have lived in London before coming to Sydney to acclimatise to life in a big city. 

I do know some very ungentrified parts of Surry Hills but it has been done up since I first moved there. Sink estates rubbing shoulders with multimillion dollar terrace homes