UK VISIT

Lorraine1954

11 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If his UK passport is still valid he can use that. It's expensive and I reckon a waste of money keeping two.

He 'should' leave on an Australian passport though and coming back without an australian passport and a visa would make life difficult on entry, if they even let him on the plane

21 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If his UK passport is still valid he can use that. It's expensive and I reckon a waste of money keeping two.

Cant reenter Australia as his permanent resident visa is cancelled once he becomes a citizen.  Australian citizens must travel on an Australian passport.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

When I was there last the queue for the uk passport line going in was longer than I had to wait with an Aus one.

We found this the last 2 times we went back too, way quicker getting through passport control in Manchester on Aussie passports. the last time was 3+ years ago now though.

Cal x

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2021 at 21:36, calNgary said:

We found this the last 2 times we went back too, way quicker getting through passport control in Manchester on Aussie passports. the last time was 3+ years ago now though.

Cal x

We were same , acted a bit daft 

jumped the uk que and were told following: 

by law we were told if you have uk passport you must enter / leave uk on that and same for entry / leave in Australia. 

Edited by Rallyman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rallyman said:

by law we were told if you have uk passport you must enter / leave uk on that and same for entry / leave in Australia. 

maybe you pissed someone off acting daft, lol. We had no issues what so ever and no one said dickyboo to us, we never went to the UK que just headed straight for the other. 

Cal x

2 minutes ago, calNgary said:

maybe you pissed someone off acting daft, lol. We had no issues what so ever and no one said dickyboo to us, we never went to the UK que just headed straight for the other. 

Cal x

Didn’t piss anybody  off ???

just went to non uk passport control and asked which we should use and the lovely lady explained as above and straight through otherwise a 30 min wait in the uk que 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

That is not true for the UK. 

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

You’re from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

You must have a valid passport to enter the UK. It should be valid for the whole of your stay.

You may also need a visa, depending on which country you’re from.

Edited by DIG85

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

However, if you just present your Australian passport and keep quiet about the British one, how will they know?

The only thing to be aware of if you enter the UK on an Australian passport, is be sure to leave the UK on the Australian passport too. If you enter the UK on an Aus passport and leave on a UK one, the system will at some point later trigger that you overstayed the UK visa. Whilst this is not an offence because you are a UK citizen, it can lead to questions later which, whilst easy to field, are a nuisance.

Edited by DIG85

3 hours ago, DIG85 said:

That is not true for the UK. 

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control/before-you-leave-for-the-uk

You’re from outside the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

You must have a valid passport to enter the UK. It should be valid for the whole of your stay.

You may also need a visa, depending on which country you’re from.

Only repeating what I was told by immigration officer upon arrival into uk. 
if you know better go for it I will stick to what I was told. 

Edited by Rallyman

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

However, if you just present your Australian passport and keep quiet about the British one, how will they know?

I suppose I was doing correct thing asking what the protocol was if you had both passports and dual citizenship, only posting what I was told. 

15 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

Only repeating what I was told by immigration officer upon arrival into uk. 
if you know better go for it I will stick to what I was told. 

Fair enough. In your circumstances I would have gone to the non-UK queue and saved half an hour. Your call.

The gov.uk is clear on the matter - all that is required is a valid passport. There is no requirement that it be a UK one.

Edited by DIG85
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

I have never been required to provide passport details when booking a flight. 

That is weird. I always have. 

How do the airline know you are permitted to travel to that country if you don't? They get heavily fined if they take inelligible/illegal passengers.

Edited by Parley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Parley said:

Exactly. So my point was you need to show the same passport to the customs staff at your destination. They know you arriving. If you show a different passport it will cause issues.

Not necessarily. I always show an Australian passport leaving Australia but I enter UK on a UK passport - probably because UK does a border visa for Australians so there is no visa check. At the check in desk  in UK I have to show Australian passport in lieu of a visa for entry. I then use my UK passport for all travel until I reach Australia. The airline doesn't make a record of my passport number when I book the ticket, they don't need to. 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1