Should I apply for a partner visa or a work visa?

MBrad

Please advise! I'm a British doctor (radiologist). My wife is Australian (born in Australia, been over here 15 years). We're planning to move to Australia next year. I've been offered a 1 year job starting August 2022. I wonder whether to apply for a partner visa or a work visa? I guess a work visa would be limited to one employer and limited duration, so I'm thinking partner visa is better (though more expensive). Also, would the patner visa be granted in time? The immi.gov website says 75% of applications processed within 16 months, but I'm hoping that since we were married in Australia over 10 years ago it should be pretty straightforward to process.. Thank you!

partner visa, if you meet the genuine ongoing relationship criteria then it wont be refused and there is no annual cap.

Work visas have a cap so you can be refused or processing delayed.

I had the exact same choice and went for partner visa, yes more expensive but didn;t regret it - and now AU citizen 😉

Agree with the others, partner visa but in the meantime, if your wife doesnt have UK citizenship, now would be a good time for her to get it, you never know if you might want to return and it takes the hassle out of visas in the longer term.

On 29/07/2021 at 01:12, MBrad said:

Please advise! I'm a British doctor (radiologist). My wife is Australian (born in Australia, been over here 15 years). We're planning to move to Australia next year. I've been offered a 1 year job starting August 2022. I wonder whether to apply for a partner visa or a work visa? I guess a work visa would be limited to one employer and limited duration, so I'm thinking partner visa is better (though more expensive). Also, would the patner visa be granted in time? The immi.gov website says 75% of applications processed within 16 months, but I'm hoping that since we were married in Australia over 10 years ago it should be pretty straightforward to process.. Thank you!

Just to give another perspective, I had the same choice but due to wife being pregnant time was an issue so I went for the work sponsored visa as it took literally a couple of weeks to sort out, and my employer paid and provided migration agents so saved money.

I then had the choice of getting PR here in Aus through partner visa or work sponsored, to get the partner visa would have took 18 months from Aus and the work visa (i think 481) took 2 months from start to finish,. As we were keen to get a mortgage I took the employer sponsored route. I am tied in to my employer for 2 years or I have to pay it back, but it saved $15k or so and was much quicker.

In your circumstance with time on your hands the partner visa seems the right choice as will afford you more flexibility, however due to time constraints the employer route worked well for me, was really straightforward and saved a lot of money. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EJMac said:

Just to give another perspective, I had the same choice but due to wife being pregnant time was an issue so I went for the work sponsored visa as it took literally a couple of weeks to sort out, and my employer paid and provided migration agents so saved money.

I then had the choice of getting PR here in Aus through partner visa or work sponsored, to get the partner visa would have took 18 months from Aus and the work visa (i think 481) took 2 months from start to finish,. As we were keen to get a mortgage I took the employer sponsored route. I am tied in to my employer for 2 years or I have to pay it back, but it saved $15k or so and was much quicker.

In your circumstance with time on your hands the partner visa seems the right choice as will afford you more flexibility, however due to time constraints the employer route worked well for me, was really straightforward and saved a lot of money. 

Absolutely the right thing if time is tight and someone else is paying.  The OP sounded a little more vague on the job, and as it's only a year that is not likely to lead to a PR route, so would be onshore with a Partner visa application anyway.