Advice on areas of Perth

Bound4Tassie

My husband has been told there’s a job in Perth for him if he wants it. I don’t think we’ll seriously consider the move ( currently in Tassie) as although I love Perth/WA in general, I don’t think I could stand the summer heat in Perth.

But if he had a job in Midland what areas would /could you live that aren’t scummy and the commute isn’t ridiculous? 
i just want to look at houses really to convince myself that there’s no point considering the upheaval! 😂

Edited by Bound4Tassie
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bound4Tassie said:

My husband has been told there’s a job in Perth for him if he wants it. I don’t think we’ll seriously consider the move ( currently in Tassie) as although I love Perth/WA in general, I don’t think I could stand the summer heat in Perth.

But if he had a job in Midland what areas would /could you live that aren’t scummy and the commute isn’t ridiculous? 
i just want to look at houses really to convince myself that there’s no point considering the upheaval! 😂

You could consider the hills, Darlington, Glen Forrest, Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda. I love living in the hills but we're planning to move to Tassie later this year hopefully 😀. Otherwise there is Guildford, Mount Lawley is a little further but some beautiful properties there. Midland isn't the most upmarket area but it does have a lot of facilities, including a newly opened enormous Bunnings 😁.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bound4Tassie said:

Perth isn't that big so even if you live a bit further away from midland, you should be fine. Try, rivervale, burswood, mount lawley, Guilford

• Like 1

We moved due to Covid and increasing problems of Fifo'ing into Perth  from Tasmania and there are some lovely areas. We are in the middle of a renovation of a house in Fremantle an area we love... we have also purchased an investment property in Serpentine which is very countrified and not too far from the airport (approx 45 mins. We have solar in both properties and that really does help with the heat and bills. This quarter's bills were approx $250 which was running air con 24/7 and you do get a substantial government grant for installation. I too dont do too well in the heat but I have found it bearable with air con.  Naturally its a different ball game being over here, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages ! We love travelling overseas and Perth offers a greater diversity (when Covid eases) as to ease of travelling to Europe/Asia etc. without getting off the island which is an added expense. Medically there is a greater choice, bulk billing is in abundance, shopping offers a greater choice (I do understand if people arent too bothered either way).  We made a substantial unexpected profit on our home in Tasmania and house pricing here in WA can be exceptionally affordable. New builds in WA (nr Perth) is in abundance  and there is much "suburbia " which isnt to my  mind too attractive with smaller blocks but my advice would be to come and see for yourself and see where you gel.  I miss the flora and fauna of Tasmania / cottages  etc  you can never replicate that but Perth has much to offer and there are cooler areas where log fires are used in the winter and people rug up! Good luck with your decision, our minds were pretty made up for us by  my husband's company/ it will never be our forever place to live but we are enjoying  the fishing , sailing and camping  and there are a multitude of activities to enjoy here!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

You could consider the hills, Darlington, Glen Forrest, Gooseberry Hill, Kalamunda. I love living in the hills but we're planning to move to Tassie later this year hopefully 😀. Otherwise there is Guildford, Mount Lawley is a little further but some beautiful properties there. Midland isn't the most upmarket area but it does have a lot of facilities, including a newly opened enormous Bunnings 😁.

I've seen these areas being recommended on different groups. Are they fire prone areas? 

Edited by OzinEire

4 hours ago, OzinEire said:

I've seen these areas being recommended on different groups. Are they fire prone areas? 

If a suburb is a leafy, green suburb on the outer edge of the city, then you should regard it as "fire prone".  We saw several people on TV during the recent fires, saying "we never thought it would happen to our suburb".  

5 hours ago, OzinEire said:

The W.A. Department of Fire and Emergency Services has information on bushfire prone areas here:

https://www.dfes.wa.gov.au/bushfire/bushfireproneareas/#map-of-bpa

The map is here:  the bushfire prone areas are shown in pink (and  can take some time to load).

https://maps.slip.wa.gov.au/landgate/bushfireprone/

In bad bushfire conditions - hot, dry and high winds - burning embers can travel many kilometres ahead of a fire front.

7 hours ago, OzinEire said:

Yes, the hills area is at risk of bush fires. We live directly opposite a National Park but the Shire burns off regularly in the area plus residents are required to maintain their properties. The local volunteer bush fire brigade are excellent too.

15 hours ago, Freemantle said:

We moved due to Covid and increasing problems of Fifo'ing into Perth  from Tasmania and there are some lovely areas. We are in the middle of a renovation of a house in Fremantle an area we love... we have also purchased an investment property in Serpentine which is very countrified and not too far from the airport (approx 45 mins. We have solar in both properties and that really does help with the heat and bills. This quarter's bills were approx $250 which was running air con 24/7 and you do get a substantial government grant for installation. I too dont do too well in the heat but I have found it bearable with air con.  Naturally its a different ball game being over here, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages ! We love travelling overseas and Perth offers a greater diversity (when Covid eases) as to ease of travelling to Europe/Asia etc. without getting off the island which is an added expense. Medically there is a greater choice, bulk billing is in abundance, shopping offers a greater choice (I do understand if people arent too bothered either way).  We made a substantial unexpected profit on our home in Tasmania and house pricing here in WA can be exceptionally affordable. New builds in WA (nr Perth) is in abundance  and there is much "suburbia " which isnt to my  mind too attractive with smaller blocks but my advice would be to come and see for yourself and see where you gel.  I miss the flora and fauna of Tasmania / cottages  etc  you can never replicate that but Perth has much to offer and there are cooler areas where log fires are used in the winter and people rug up! Good luck with your decision, our minds were pretty made up for us by  my husband's company/ it will never be our forever place to live but we are enjoying  the fishing , sailing and camping  and there are a multitude of activities to enjoy here!

I'm surprised you have aircon on 24x7. We've not used ours at all this past week, don't have any in the bedrooms and as soon as the sea breeze hits usually open doors and turn the aircon off. 

9 hours ago, OzinEire said:

Yes they are. The recent fires are "suspicious" which means someone probably lit them. A serious one a few years back was caused by someone using an angle grinder.

You could be unlucky, some very dense forest and narrow roads in those areas. Gets a lot hotter than near the coast too, sea breeze doesn't get very far inland.

Personally I wouldn't risk living out there but I've never been bothered about a big property or extra land and I like being near the coast. You can still get leafy green suburbs with lots of parks and trees near the coast, older ones obviously, as the developers tend to rip everything up and you end up living in a sanpit for a few years till things start growing again.

Some houses in the hills are better prepared than others, with big firebreaks round them. The cost to maintain that would be enough to put me off. I like a drive out to the hills though, wineries, breweries, fruit farms. Just a nice change now and then.

17 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Some houses in the hills are better prepared than others, with big firebreaks round them. The cost to maintain that would be enough to put me off. I like a drive out to the hills though, wineries, breweries, fruit farms. Just a nice change now and then.

You're assuming they are all massive properties. Our block is half an acre, my neighbours have quarter acres - not that expensive to maintain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Yes they are. The recent fires are "suspicious" which means someone probably lit them. A serious one a few years back was caused by someone using an angle grinder.

Some houses in the hills are better prepared than others, with big firebreaks round them. 

It's just a fact of life in Australia, if you choose to live outside the built-up areas.  In recent years, as all the cities edge out into the bush, we're seeing suburbs suffering bushfires, not just rural areas.    It's a case of understanding what the risks are, making sure you plan your garden so you don't have trees too close to your property, using gutter guards etc etc, and having a bushfire plan.  For some people, the advantages of escaping the city are worth the risk.

• 2 months later...
On 12/02/2021 at 19:44, Marisawright said:

It's just a fact of life in Australia, if you choose to live outside the built-up areas.  In recent years, as all the cities edge out into the bush, we're seeing suburbs suffering bushfires, not just rural areas.    It's a case of understanding what the risks are, making sure you plan your garden so you don't have trees too close to your property, using gutter guards etc etc, and having a bushfire plan.  For some people, the advantages of escaping the city are worth the risk.

I live in suburbia. Closeish to what could be considered semi rural or out of town. I think there are so many areas like that in Perth unless you're right on the coast. Perth is full of native bushland.  We've had 2 serious scares already this year. My work.colleagues were evacuated from their suburban homes. I don't think anywhere is 'safe' as such. I find the risks can be overstated and when you live in a bushfire prone area you perhaps take more precautions? The shire are on you checking vegetation  and so on anyway.

• Like 1