How Long before you realised that Australia was or was not the place that you wanted to spend the rest of your days ?

bug family

34 minutes ago, Toots said:

You would find it pretty hard going weather-wise during the long winter.  Even me who loves Scotland would avoid a wintertime there.

Funny how you adjust. I now find winter in the Adelaide Hills worth avoiding. Currently looking to go up north to QLD for a few weeks in August!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

Funny how you adjust. I now find winter in the Adelaide Hills worth avoiding. Currently looking to go up north to QLD for a few weeks in August!

Yes I've gone soft in my old age too. 😄  Lots of folk in Tassie spend up to 3 months in QLD during winter.  I don't mind the winter weather so much here but if it rains for more than 2 or 3 days at a time I can get a bit grumpy.  The cold doesn't really bother me as long as I can get home to a warm house.  Couldn't be doing with damp, cold, dreich Scottish winters anymore and I hate ice and snow.

Enjoy your QLD break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

You would find it pretty hard going weather-wise during the long winter.  Even me who loves Scotland would avoid a wintertime there.

Long time since I lived in Scotland.  I’d like to visit and leave it at that…

1 hour ago, Toots said:

But the long summer day light hours I'd adore. I've read some really positive accounts though from incomers that moved to the islands. What I would hate most of all is the wind. I believe that is a shocker in both Orkneys and Shetlands. I hate dampness as well. All in all, although it looks a lovely spot in the world, I most likely would find the winters too much to manage. 

Probably better focusing on Langkawi or somewhere tropical for both value and the warmth. 

• Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 04:19, HappyHeart said:

Mandurah V Manchester....it's a tough one....

Not really, Manchester every day of the week. Mandurah's one of those place where you go, think it's great, take a load of pictures.. then you go again, think it's OK, take the same pictures...then you go again and think, mmm, where else is there round here?

Edited by s713
  • Like 4

Just now, s713 said:

You're right, Manchester every day of the week. Mandurah's one of those place where you go, think it's great, take a load of pictures.. then you go again, think it's OK, take the same pictures...then you go again and think, mmm, where else is there round here?

That’s how I think about Perth.  Had some great times but a bit limited. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, s713 said:

Not really, Manchester every day of the week. Mandurah's one of those place where you go, think it's great, take a load of pictures.. then you go again, think it's OK, take the same pictures...then you go again and think, mmm, where else is there round here?

Hillarys was one of the (many) other places that used to do this to me. I had to say to the wife, I can't physically go to Hillarys anymore. Apart from the beach, it was the only thing near us and, after about 6 or 7 visits, I was done.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/05/2021 at 14:03, MacGyver said:

Due to the nature of my work I've spent a lot of hours in and out of houses in the "worst" and "most dangerous" areas in WA and Scotland. The presenting issues, violence and drug use are very similar and one isn't better or worse than the other. My experience (which is subjective of course) is that drug use was far more pronounced in Scotland, but the type of drug use in Perth (Meth) makes it more noticeable for some people who might have walked past multiple heroin users in the UK and not have noticed.

I've seen significantly more violence in Scotland than I have ever seen in Perth, and feel significantly safer wandering the streets at night in Perth than I did in Glasgow. Yes there are areas to avoid at night, but a bit of common sense in both places keeps you safe. If youre out drinking until 4am in busy areas you will see and/or experiecne violence in both places due to the evil of alcohol (I drink myself but it really is a foul poison on society). Drugs and alcohol are everywhere and the effects of them are felt everywhere, sadly. 

Drugs have long been an issue in Scotland. It has been in Australia an issue as well. It's the newish kid on the block, meth (ice) that doesn't (thankfully) play part of the British drug scene, that is the difference here. It is massive. It is everywhere. Those home cooking generally fly under the radar and in my experience (am in the midst of it) I don't detect necessary personal use. What I do detect though, is that some are making a lot of money from this scourge, who are very middle class, even respectable people in their day job, if at all in a position to need to work. It is bound to get far, far worse with little being done by government to combat it and little interest anywhere else to really get to grips with it. 

While I know some attempt to link alcohol abuse , in an almost attempt to downgrade the drug meth (ice) I don't see too much comparison outside both can and do make people violent. Alcohol has benefits. Both in the social lubrication framework and has some health benefits in moderation.(besides being legal)  Where as Meth (ice) is not classed as a 'happy/lovey  drug', it is intense and creates very psychotic behaviour in many users. I'm well aware many hold down responsible positions taking meth, but the huge cost involved in those addicted both in terms of money and health, to the hospital system, the mental health , the greed of 'easy' money by those of all ages 'cooking' this in their bedrooms, bathrooms and toilets, can't be of general overall benefit to society. Uni kids. Middle Aged , Professionals. Not to mention the corrosive influence on those influencing social mores in positions of power and trust. 

5 minutes ago, s713 said:

Hillarys was one of the (many) other places that used to do this to me. I had to say to the wife, I can't physically go to Hillarys anymore. Apart from the beach, it was the only thing near us and, after about 6 or 7 visits, I was done.

I can take Hillarys perhaps twice a year max. 

13 minutes ago, s713 said:

Not that I know Manchester but I do get to what you mean. I expect like London, never know what's around any given corner. Things to look at. Never quite the same. It doesn't have to be pretty. But please make it human. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, s713 said:

I agree with the overview to a degree. Same could be said about Manc. I still prefer it and it's surrounds as a place to be though. Horses for courses. Manchester V Mandurah. It's still an easy one for me. 

13 minutes ago, s713 said:

The only thing near you? 

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Not that I know Manchester but I do get to what you mean. I expect like London, never know what's around any given corner. Things to look at. Never quite the same. It doesn't have to be pretty. But please make it human. 

Definitely get up close and personal with real humans in Manchester. If gritty industrialisation floats your boat that's cool. I find the lack of open space and grime oppressive. Sure there's nice spots too. 

10 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Hillarys was Perth in a microcosm for me, bit sanitized and manufactured, not much atmos, suited to age groups 0-13 and 60+, and very samey. I thought it novel at first but after a while, I avoided it completely. I think we overdid it due to lack of options, same with the Aquarium which is great but not when you're forced to do it regularly because the kids can't think of anything else.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

But the long summer day light hours I'd adore. I've read some really positive accounts though from incomers that moved to the islands. What I would hate most of all is the wind. I believe that is a shocker in both Orkneys and Shetlands. I hate dampness as well. All in all, although it looks a lovely spot in the world, I most likely would find the winters too much to manage. 

Probably better focusing on Langkawi or somewhere tropical for both value and the warmth. 

Yep, it never stops blowing on many of the Scottish islands.  The few trees are bent over from the wind.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Drugs have long been an issue in Scotland. It has been in Australia an issue as well. It's the newish kid on the block, meth (ice) that doesn't (thankfully) play part of the British drug scene, that is the difference here. It is massive. It is everywhere. Those home cooking generally fly under the radar and in my experience (am in the midst of it) I don't detect necessary personal use. What I do detect though, is that some are making a lot of money from this scourge, who are very middle class, even respectable people in their day job, if at all in a position to need to work. It is bound to get far, far worse with little being done by government to combat it and little interest anywhere else to really get to grips with it. 

While I know some attempt to link alcohol abuse , in an almost attempt to downgrade the drug meth (ice) I don't see too much comparison outside both can and do make people violent. Alcohol has benefits. Both in the social lubrication framework and has some health benefits in moderation.(besides being legal)  Where as Meth (ice) is not classed as a 'happy/lovey  drug', it is intense and creates very psychotic behaviour in many users. I'm well aware many hold down responsible positions taking meth, but the huge cost involved in those addicted both in terms of money and health, to the hospital system, the mental health , the greed of 'easy' money by those of all ages 'cooking' this in their bedrooms, bathrooms and toilets, can't be of general overall benefit to society. Uni kids. Middle Aged , Professionals. Not to mention the corrosive influence on those influencing social mores in positions of power and trust. 

From our local paper:

You only have to look at the rate of drug-fuelled crimes that go through Tasmania's courts to know that ice remains a significant problem in our community. It also remains one of the top three drugs driving people to seek treatment. 

Further, the amount of ice seized by Northern Tasmanian police between April 1 and December 1 last year - more than 1000 grams - was about double the amount seized in the same time the year before. Clearly the war is far from over.

But early intervention, law enforcement and accessible treatment options remain among our greatest line of defence.

🙁

Horrible drug!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

Hillarys was Perth in a microcosm for me, bit sanitized and manufactured, not much atmos, suited to age groups 0-13 and 60+, and very samey. I thought it novel at first but after a while, I avoided it completely. I think we overdid it due to lack of options, same with the Aquarium which is great but not when you're forced to do it regularly because the kids can't think of anything else.

The kids can't think of anything else? Did you leave your imagination in England when you came here? Did you have to come for work or did you choose to? If it was a choice am curious for your rationale for choosing Perth. It may hslp other to know too. 

26 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

The kids can't think of anything else? Did you leave your imagination in England when you came here? Did you have to come for work or did you choose to? If it was a choice am curious for your rationale for choosing Perth. It may hslp other to know too. 

There are no aquariums or a zoo here in our area but the children seem to be happily occupied.  Bike tracks for miles, basketball court, tennis courts, football (soccer fields), hockey centre, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, trees to climb and for the unsporty - well I guess they spend a lot of time with their devices - same as kids in most other countries.  As you say - just use your imagination  ...............  sadly lacking in a lot of people who just want entertainment laid on for them or else they get   .............  guess what   ..................  bored.

29 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

We lived in Joondalup (unfortunately). When we moved there, it was advertised as the new satellite town to Perth that was going to bring jobs and attractions. Nothing of the sort transpired. We moved to Perth as the wife's family had moved over piecemeal before us, so there were more in Perth than left in the UK. Wife missed them so we moved, other than that I had never had thoughts of emigrating. I enjoyed it for 2 or 3 years, was very meh about it for 2 or 3 then spent 4 years hating it. Eventually the wife did as well so we moved back.

Joondalup is a horrible ghost town of a place. There's a couple of things to do like wall-climbing and stuff but other than the beach, people seem to head to Hillarys. The pubs and restaurants are mid-low quality, there are some OK walks within driving distance but other that I struggled. Swan Valley and The Hills was OK now and then.

It wasn't just the kids in the family that were stuck. By the time we left, my Mum and Dad had been 6 times and were in no hurry to come back. For such an expensive holiday it had started to become far too samey, a rotation of beach, Mandurah, Swan Valley, Hills, Freo, City, Busselton etc. It's great for a couple of years but after that???

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, s713 said:

We lived in Joondalup (unfortunately). When we moved there, it was advertised as the new satellite town to Perth that was going to bring jobs and attractions. Nothing of the sort transpired. We moved to Perth as the wife's family had moved over piecemeal before us, so there were more in Perth than left in the UK. Wife missed them so we moved, other than that I had never had thoughts of emigrating. I enjoyed it for 2 or 3 years, was very meh about it for 2 or 3 then spent 4 years hating it. Eventually the wife did as well so we moved back.

Joondalup is a horrible ghost town of a place. There's a couple of things to do like wall-climbing and stuff but other than the beach, people seem to head to Hillarys. The pubs and restaurants are mid-low quality, there are some OK walks within driving distance but other that I struggled. Swan Valley and The Hills was OK now and then.

It wasn't just the kids in the family that were stuck. By the time we left, my Mum and Dad had been 6 times and were in no hurry to come back. For such an expensive holiday it had started to become far too samey, a rotation of beach, Mandurah, Swan Valley, Hills, Freo, City, Busselton etc. It's great for a couple of years but after that???

I don't recognise your description or experiences of life in Perth (and I live quite near to Joondalup) but fair play to.you, you must not hang around if it falls short of expectations and needs. Glad you got back to a place that is more suitable for you as a family. Difficult when 1 is not sold on the idea and other partner is happy. 

For us we've been here 12 years and not 'bored' yet- far from it, there are not enough weekends in the year for us to tick off our things to do list. We have a 'day out' and a home day most weekends we are both off work. I don't know. We can see the same things but through different lenses. It just wasn't meant to be. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

The only thing near you? 

Definitely get up close and personal with real humans in Manchester. If gritty industrialisation floats your boat that's cool. I find the lack of open space and grime oppressive. Sure there's nice spots too. 

More jostle more bussle for sure. The likelihood of more good but equally more bad as well. Perth is great for I suppose the more  introverted of us, or perhaps those self contained in themselves  is another way to put it. From the Manchester people I know, they can be very out there and sometimes in your face. Open Space? I find that claustrophobic in certain contexts. Just as It could be said empty streets and sterility oppressive. A place of more substance allows more choice . More choice equates more freedom to find own preference  in ways of living life.  

Edited by Blue Flu

6 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

More jostle more bussle for sure. The likelihood of more good but equally more bad as well. Perth is great for I suppose the more  introverted of us, or perhaps those self contained in themselves  is another to put it. From the Manchester people I know, they can be very out there and sometimes in your face. Open Space? I find that claustrophobic in certain contexts. Just as It could be said empty streets and sterility oppressive. A place of more substance allows more choice . More choice equates more freedom to find own preference  in ways of living life.  

Are you still living here in Perth? 

42 minutes ago, s713 said:

I agree on most evert aspect you write. Joondalup was a great opportunity to redefine Perth Metro to which was largely a failure. It improved somewhat later, as defects were realized. But still a place I would hardly venture. I used to go to the Old Baily boozer years ago, when feeling in need of a reminder of British culture. Grew out of that though. 

2 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I agree on most evert aspect you write. Joondalup was a great opportunity to redefine Perth Metro to which was largely a failure. It improved somewhat later, as defects were realized. But still a place I would hardly venture. I used to go to the Old Baily boozer years ago, when feeling in need of a reminder of British culture. Grew out of that though. 

Joondalup is pretty quiet. The pubs are popular with rough types, tradies and those new to Perth. I like some of the cafes in the daytime. Neil Hawkins park being gateway to beautiful walk trails in Yellagonga regional park.

The shopping centre is the biggest in WA I heard? I hate shopping so it doesn't suit me but you can certainly get everything you need without a trip to Perth with the industrial estate too. It does what it says on the tin. Certainly not a centre of cultural significance though. They do have festivals and so on but we stopped going to those events after the first few years. 

Great big hospital. Public and private. No need to travel to Perth for most specialities. 

2 hours ago, Toots said:

From our local paper:

You only have to look at the rate of drug-fuelled crimes that go through Tasmania's courts to know that ice remains a significant problem in our community. It also remains one of the top three drugs driving people to seek treatment. 

Further, the amount of ice seized by Northern Tasmanian police between April 1 and December 1 last year - more than 1000 grams - was about double the amount seized in the same time the year before. Clearly the war is far from over.

But early intervention, law enforcement and accessible treatment options remain among our greatest line of defence.

🙁

Horrible drug!

Horrible drug indeed. I know Tasmania has it very bad as well. I feel they are attempting to disguise the lack of law and enforcement outcomes, by medicalization of outcomes that should never have  arrived at that point. Just ask yourself how do many drug manufacturing houses are known to the public but still operate 

20 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Joondalup is pretty quiet. The pubs are popular with rough types, tradies and those new to Perth. I like some of the cafes in the daytime. Neil Hawkins park being gateway to beautiful walk trails in Yellagonga regional park.

The shopping centre is the biggest in WA I heard? I hate shopping so it doesn't suit me but you can certainly get everything you need without a trip to Perth with the industrial estate too. It does what it says on the tin. Certainly not a centre of cultural significance though. They do have festivals and so on but we stopped going to those events after the first few years. 

Great big hospital. Public and private. No need to travel to Perth for most specialities. 

It simply doesn't work, at least in line with the initial desired function that being a livable, I believe European influenced in things like walkability, far more inner city living, ambiance and so on. As with so many things, it did not reach expectations and the end result was somewhat ordinary. 

Yes the park is very good. Hospital I think not so much and shopping centre something I could pass with out caring as well. It is a satellite city , so will provide most of everyday needs. Just not a place I care to or indeed need to visit, more than about once every three years or so.