190 visa as freelance interpreter/translator

I’ve had a look around various parts of this forum to try and find an answer but all the threads about it seem to have been from a few years ago so I’m not sure how up-to-date they are, so sorry if you’re reading this and it’s already been answered.

Anyway, I’m a freelance translator and interpreter keen to emigrate with my family (spouse and two children). I have run my own business as a sole trader for 7/8 years and see from the 190 skills list that interpreter is on there. Most of my work is in translation but I’ve taken on interpreting jobs in my freelance career, and it was the subject of my first degree. It seems I need to have my credentials approved by the NAATI, but haven’t been able to get very far in gaining their assistance, perhaps because, as stated on their website, their offices are closed due to the pandemic.

From what I’ve seen of the application process it looks like I’d have to be nominated by an individual state. What isn’t clear is if I have to seek a post to gain the visa or whether I can emigrate on the 190 with my sole trader business. Is anybody able to steer me in a useful direction? All help appreciated!

As a secondary question, I’m also finding it difficult to work out what, if any, school fees I’d have to pay for my kids (I’d be seeking to put them into the state system). From my research it seems the level of fees in schools is set by the state government, but the only government website page I can find about whether dependant children of visa holders have to pay seems to relate to children of students. Again, any help appreciated.

Thanks. I contacted one in London late last week and am currently awaiting a reply. I realise mine is a pretty niche query but a friend now living in VIC recommended this place as a mine of useful information before she emigrated so thought I’d give it a go.

54 minutes ago, aghill77 said:

Thanks. I contacted one in London late last week and am currently awaiting a reply. I realise mine is a pretty niche query but a friend now living in VIC recommended this place as a mine of useful information before she emigrated so thought I’d give it a go.

No problem. People on this site are very helpful but because your query is niche it would be best to speak with an agent. Someone on here may know the answers and I’m sure they’ll be along if so but a good agent will be able to tell you what visa you can go for if any and how to best achieve that.  Make sure the agent you are dealing with is Mara registered. They will have a registration number if they are. If they aren’t, you may want to consider using one of the ones on here. There are many bad stories about people being told wrong things by so called experts.  Best of luck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

No problem. People on this site are very helpful but because your query is niche it would be best to speak with an agent. Someone on here may know the answers and I’m sure they’ll be along if so but a good agent will be able to tell you what visa you can go for if any and how to best achieve that.  Make sure the agent you are dealing with is Mara registered. They will have a registration number if they are. If they aren’t, you may want to consider using one of the ones on here. There are many bad stories about people being told wrong things by so called experts.  Best of luck. 

Thanks. The ones I’ve contacted are MARA-registered. Looking at it again tonight I think I’ve  probably put down the wrong number and it’s the 189 (independent) rather than the 190 (nominated) but if any MARA-registered agent wants to chip in, please feel free!

The 189 is the Rolls Royce visa. You don’t need a state to nominate you or a job offer, you just apply. The catch is that it’s all based on points- it’s a competition and only those with the highest point score succeed. Currently only those with over 90 points stand any chance of success, the rest just lose their fee.

The  190 is nominated by a state, and each state has their own rules, including whether or not you need a job offer. It’s not as strictly points-driven but it’s still competitive.

What languages do you cover?

Edited by Marisawright

Sorry, thought I’d replied but obviously not. Thanks for the clarification about the different visas. I did a quick totting up of the points for 189 and I’d do pretty well, but without any clue of what I’d be up against, as it were. 

And in terms of languages, I cover French and German at the moment, but am learning Spanish and Japanese, hopefully to be able to use them at a professional standard in the near future.

Anyone with any useful information about school fees, or do I need to post that elsewhere?

3 hours ago, aghill77 said:

Sorry, thought I’d replied but obviously not. Thanks for the clarification about the different visas. I did a quick totting up of the points for 189 and I’d do pretty well, but without any clue of what I’d be up against, as it were. 

And in terms of languages, I cover French and German at the moment, but am learning Spanish and Japanese, hopefully to be able to use them at a professional standard in the near future.

Anyone with any useful information about school fees, or do I need to post that elsewhere?

You do know what you're up against - as I said, no one with less than 90 points has been granted a 189 visa for a long time, in any occupation. Since they keep setting the bar higher, not lower, it's reasonable to assume that threshold will go up.  

For the state (190) visas, points are less important and they will look at the actual demand for your skills in their state.  A190 is a permanent visa so you would not, AFAIK, pay school fees. My concern would be whether any of the states (except ACT) would have a demand for interpreters/translators.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My concern would be whether any of the states (except ACT) would have a demand for interpreters/translators.

This would be my concern too. If they had a bunch of South Asian languages covering Japan/China/India/Thailand/Indonesia and some Australian indigenous language I could see that being highly in demand, but European languages less so.

I guess they will only know if they give it a try

To the OP - I'd suggest a call to one of @paulhand , @Alan Collett , @wrussell or @Raul Senise who are all migration agents who give their advice often on these forums. They should be able to give you a decent idea of your chances and what the process will entail

36 minutes ago, aghill77 said:

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like I definitely need to get some expert advice as to how, if at all, I might proceed, so that’s the next obvious step. 

Any decent MARA agent will give you a free "exploratory/explanation" conversation. The charlatans will try to make you pay for one. Quick tip if they won't invest 15 minutes in a quick conversation for free just ignore them and move onto the next agent - there are loads - but you won;t go wrong if you give any of the ones mentioned above a try