Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'translator'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Australia
    • Visa Chat
    • Skilled Visas
    • Family / Partner Visas
    • Temporary Visas
    • Business Skills Visas
    • Business Sponsored
    • Working Holiday Visas
    • Shipping and Removals
  • Life in Australia
    • Aussie Chat
    • Household
    • Renting & Real Estate
    • Money & Finance
    • Education
    • Health
    • Careers and Vacancies
    • Kids Down Under
    • Pets
    • Socialising Hobbies Clubs Sport
    • Travel
  • Australian States & Territories
    • ACT
    • New South Wales
    • Northern Territory
    • Queensland
    • South Australia
    • Tasmania
    • Victoria
    • Western Australia
  • Partner Forums
    • Money Transfer: Ask Moneycorp
    • Financial Advice: Ask Vista
    • Shipping Pets: Ask Pet Air
  • Moving to the UK
    • UK Chat
    • Education
    • Where to Live?
    • Money and Finance
  • PomsInOz Specific
    • Chewing the fat


  • Migration
  • Living in Australia
  • Jobs and Careers
  • Moving to Australia Real Life Stories
  • Money and Finance
  • Transport
  • Where to live in Australia?
    • Victoria
    • Queensland
    • New South Wales
    • Tasmania
    • Western Australia
    • South Australia
  • Backpacking
  • News
  • Forum Help


There are no results to display.

There are no results to display.

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 5 results

  1. I’ve had a look around various parts of this forum to try and find an answer but all the threads about it seem to have been from a few years ago so I’m not sure how up-to-date they are, so sorry if you’re reading this and it’s already been answered. Anyway, I’m a freelance translator and interpreter keen to emigrate with my family (spouse and two children). I have run my own business as a sole trader for 7/8 years and see from the 190 skills list that interpreter is on there. Most of my work is in translation but I’ve taken on interpreting jobs in my freelance career, and it was the subject of my first degree. It seems I need to have my credentials approved by the NAATI, but haven’t been able to get very far in gaining their assistance, perhaps because, as stated on their website, their offices are closed due to the pandemic. From what I’ve seen of the application process it looks like I’d have to be nominated by an individual state. What isn’t clear is if I have to seek a post to gain the visa or whether I can emigrate on the 190 with my sole trader business. Is anybody able to steer me in a useful direction? All help appreciated! As a secondary question, I’m also finding it difficult to work out what, if any, school fees I’d have to pay for my kids (I’d be seeking to put them into the state system). From my research it seems the level of fees in schools is set by the state government, but the only government website page I can find about whether dependant children of visa holders have to pay seems to relate to children of students. Again, any help appreciated.
  2. Hi there! I am a freelance translator overseas, I wish to emigrate to Australia and I really struggle to find any information about this online. First of all: my profession being on the CSOL list, does it mean I am absolutely required to have State sponsorship? On the occupation list for Victoria (I'd like to settle down in Melbourne), "translator" doesn't even appear: http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/occupation-lists/state-nomination-occupation-list-for-victoria :frown: Another question-mark: I have to pass the NAATI accreditation by testing, but do I do this for the CCL points (Credentialed Community Language) or for the Skills Assessment? Or for both? Also: once I'm accredited by NAATI, will I be allowed to translate my immigration documents myself for SkillSelect? Has anyone here been in this situation or does anyone know a translator who has been through this and that I could contact? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your help :cute:
  3. Dear All, I'm in the middle of attaching all of my documents for my 176 e visa application. My comfirmation e mail from DIAC asks for form 80 amongst other things. Now my problem is I spent nearly two years living in the Netherlands from 2002 and I went to the trouble of applying for a Residency Permit. Of course its all in Dutch. Some of the Papers have English already on them but the actual entry into Amsterdam register and my Social Security letter is in Dutch. Does anyone know of a NAATI certified Dutch Translator ?? I'm currently living in cardiff. Any Dutch nationals here have been through the same process ?? Do I need to get this translated. The actual permit has a few english words in it too. Just one more nighmare to deal with :-)
  4. Hi there, Due to us having lived in Belgium, Portugal & Germany in the last 10 years, we were required to have police checks carried out. After much fuss and a song and a dance, we are almost there (Australia better be worth all this form filling aggro!). The problem we have is that there is a requirement to have the letters translated into English. Please can anyone recommend a reputable company that can do the job to the necessary standard that the Aussie Immigration Dept will be satisfied with? I appreciate your help with this one. Many thanks. Steve & Kitty. :unsure:
  5. Hi everyone, We are in the process of applying for a temporary (3-year) visa to Oz, Adelaide, on my profession. I am a freelance translator, set up in a limited company, of which I am the sole owner. I work mostly for agencies in the UK and my clients are happy to continue providing me with work, after I've moved to Oz. They will obviously then start paying me into an Australian bank account (in Australian dollars). My question is this: can anyone tell me how my business should be set up in Australia? Should I go back to being a freelancer, should I set up a business account in Oz, or just a normal account. How does the tax work for freelancers? Your help would be much appreciated :wubclub: Cheers, Karin (who's Dutch, by the way, but Mervyn is English, can I still stay on Poms in Oz?