AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 14/10/2021 at 16:55, Khan12 said:

just posting after while,Atlast  department approved my application after long 14 months,Now awaits for Cermoney.

Current status - Permanent Resident

Citizenship Application: 09/08/2020

Invitation: 27/10/2020

Test Date: 03/12/2020

Approval: 09/10/2021

Ceremony: TBA

City of Cockburn WA

Hi Khan12, any idea why it took so long, i am on the same boat and every day is very stressful its been two months now after my test and still waiting for approval

33 minutes ago, VIC-WAIT-GAME (NO WAY HOME) said:

Do you mind sharing the timeline along with the state and council info?

Council: Blacktown - NSW

Citizenship Application Submission: 29 August 2021

Original Test/Interview date: 8th April 2022

Test Rescheduled date: 11th March 2022 

Approval: TBA

2 minutes ago, Danish Saleem said:

Every state and individual's application/case is different. 
First of all do not panic and please avoid comparing your case with others. 
As long as its within the timeframe mentioned on the department's website, its all good.
I myself am waiting for the approval for 6 days. It can take from few hours up to 1 month after your test (based in immi tracker and close circle info) for approval. This is just for guide. Could take longer as well. What matters is the timeframe mentioned on the website (that keeps changing every month btw).
According to the department's website, from application to decision/approval, it can take from 8 to 10 to 17 to 18 months. 
It is stressful and annoying, but I guess we can not do anything. 

You are well within that timeframe. 
Keep an eye on your emails and immi account. 

17 minutes ago, Danish Saleem said:

3 minutes ago, VIC-WAIT-GAME (NO WAY HOME) said:

Every state and individual's application/case is different. 
First of all do not panic and please avoid comparing your case with others. 
As long as its within the timeframe mentioned on the department's website, its all good.
I myself am waiting for the approval for 6 days. It can take from few hours up to 1 month after your test (based in immi tracker and close circle info) for approval. This is just for guide. Could take longer as well. What matters is the timeframe mentioned on the website (that keeps changing every month btw).
According to the department's website, from application to decision/approval, it can take from 8 to 10 to 17 to 18 months. 
It is stressful and annoying, but I guess we can not do anything. 

You are well within that timeframe. 
Keep an eye on your emails and immi account. 

Moreover, I just did a little research on your behalf and looked up immi tracker....
Someone who took test on 25 Jan 2022 got approved same day (application 6 Jul 2021).
Someone who took test on 21 Feb 2022 got approved 16 Mar 2022 (application 16 mar 2021).
Someone who took test on 10 March 2022 got approved 24 March 2022 (application 27 Jun 2021).
5th Jan 2022 test and approval same day (application 15 May 2021)
24th Jan 2022 test and approval same day (application19 April 2021)

BTW its just for blacktown city council.

On 05/05/2022 at 12:43, paul566 said:

Hi anyone had an invite for Ceromony in Brisbane lately. 

Applied Nov 21

Test Feb 22

Approval Feb 22

Waiting for Ceremony

sorry my timeline should read

Applied - Nov 5 2021

Test - Jan 13 2022

Approval - Jan 31 2022

Waiting on Ceremony.......

Brisbane City Council

14 hours ago, paul566 said:

sorry my timeline should read

Applied - Nov 5 2021

Test - Jan 13 2022

Approval - Jan 31 2022

Waiting on Ceremony.......

Brisbane City Council

Hi Paul,

Still waiting for Brisbane City Council ceremony and my timeline is: 

Applied - March 2021

Test - June 2021

Approval - July 2021

You may be waiting a while… sorry!

Hello

did anyone got invited

for ceremony from HUME Council for May or June?

Kindly let us know....!!

With your date of approval

Thanks

Edited by R-M

Hi All

My timelines are as follows

Application Date 30 November 2020

Approval Date 22 March 2021

Finally received Citizenship Ceremony invite from Brisbane City Council for 30 May 2022

I received email from Council however in my Immiaccount there is no correspondence recorded

Usually all communications from home affairs recorded in immiaccount but the ceremony invite email came from Brisbane City Council I believe it is the same case for others also?

Shall any of you clarify this matter please?

Edited by Success21
  • Congratulations 1

Hi All

I received ceremony invite to attend on 30 May 2022 with Brisbane City Council

However there is no information about number of Guests can attend ceremony? Shall any of you confirm this please?

Moreover I received email from Lord Mayor but this email is not recorded in my immiaccount

Usually all communications from home affairs recorded in immiaccount but this email is not there? Is it same with others also?

11 hours ago, Success21 said:

Hi All

I received ceremony invite to attend on 30 May 2022 with Brisbane City Council

However there is no information about number of Guests can attend ceremony? Shall any of you confirm this please?

Moreover I received email from Lord Mayor but this email is not recorded in my immiaccount

Usually all communications from home affairs recorded in immiaccount but this email is not there? Is it same with others also?

It won't be in your immiaccount as its from the Council, not the Immigration Dept.

You should have a return email address, so go back to them and ask about guests - the rules have changed a couple of times due to covid restrictions, so you need to check what they are currently. 

Hi,

I had applied for my citizenship in June 2020 and then gone abroad in November 2020. I had received an invite for test in Feb 2021 but was outside Australia. I have returned back to Australia in May 2022. Any idea how do I activate my application to enable them to start processing my application again. Any ideas? Thanks

7 hours ago, Aussiedream20 said:

Hi,

I had applied for my citizenship in June 2020 and then gone abroad in November 2020. I had received an invite for test in Feb 2021 but was outside Australia. I have returned back to Australia in May 2022. Any idea how do I activate my application to enable them to start processing my application again. Any ideas? Thanks

If you find a way to do that then please let us know on PIO. Unfortunately I would expect that you need to make a fresh application and you will need to wait until you are eligible to do so (in May 2025 when you'll have been in the country for 3 out of the previous 4 years provided you don't leave the country before then).

3 hours ago, Ken said:

If you find a way to do that then please let us know on PIO. Unfortunately I would expect that you need to make a fresh application and you will need to wait until you are eligible to do so (in May 2025 when you'll have been in the country for 3 out of the previous 4 years provided you don't leave the country before then).

I always thought that the residency requirement was "frozen" at the date of the application? i.e. it does not need to be satisfied on a go forward basis once the application has been submitted. 

I also understood that the processing of the application would be resumed on the applicant's return to Australia.

Edited by DIG85

Does anyone know the process with adding a baby? We are still waiting on our ceremony and I’ve just given birth but I’m unsure how to get citizenship for her.

my timeline is:

Applied - March 2021

Test - June 2021

Approval - July 2021

Baby - May 2022

Thanks!

You don’t add her.

She already is a citizen at birth as you are PR.  You do need to apply for evidence of this. It is pretty quick they simply send a citizen certificate when they have validated the application.  She will then need an Australian passport. 

On 12/05/2022 at 19:07, DIG85 said:

I always thought that the residency requirement was "frozen" at the date of the application? i.e. it does not need to be satisfied on a go forward basis once the application has been submitted. 

I also understood that the processing of the application would be resumed on the applicant's return to Australia.

Yes, the residency requirement is frozen at the date of application but that won't apply if you need to make a new application. It depends upon whether your application can be resumed or not. That will depend upon whether your previous application was put on hold or was cancelled.

Hello everyone,
We are Indian citizen and can apply for Australian one now.
Should we both apply for citizenship or only one?
Is there any benefit by applying Aus citizen for one person and keeping the Indian for the other one.

Can someone help me on that?

22 hours ago, Ken said:

Yes, the residency requirement is frozen at the date of application but that won't apply if you need to make a new application. It depends upon whether your application can be resumed or not. That will depend upon whether your previous application was put on hold or was cancelled.

I was not aware that DHA could cancel a citizenship application simply because the applicant had gone abroad. My understanding accords with mixology’s - the OP need do nothing because the processing of the application will be resumed on his or her return to Australia.

The experience of some of my colleagues is that it often gets approved quite quickly after the applicant’s return to Australia - which suggests that processing continues whilst the applicant is abroad and DHA is just waiting for the applicant to return before they hit the approve button. Obviously that will be different in the OP’s case because he or she has not sat the test, but it could all happen quite quickly now they are back in Aus.

Edited by DIG85