AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2020-2021

04April2017DE

On 11/01/2021 at 22:56, LeJJ4 said:

I have been following this forum for a while and I can't still understand what it is with some people here?

what kind of expectations do you have when the Doha is pretty clear saying that processing time is between 23and29 months? everything else that comes before that consider yourself LUCKY.

No to mention that people here keep calling obsessively and encouraging other to call Doha and council when in the approval letter they discourage you on doing so.

Seriously.

I’m waiting on my application to be processed just like all the others, but I’m in no particular rush, as long as it’s done before my daughter wants to go to University in 2023 then all is good.

Other people have different reasons though and my experience of government departments is often that they will act on administrative processes based on who shouts loudest and not necessarily who applied first. 
Some councils are processing applications in a few months, others are taking a couple of years!

Hi All,

I would like to share my timeline

• City: Sydney
  • Applied for citizenship: 05/Dec/2019
  • Test invitation received: 11/Nov/2020
  • Test Completed: 07/12/2020
  • Approved: 18/01/2021 (Delayed as they required me to submit a criminal check from NZ)
  • Citizenship Ceremony: TBC

Thanks and good luck with your processes too

8 hours ago, Ding said:

I have left Australia to UK for work, after having completed my test && interview in Dec. What'll happen to me? Is there anybody know it? Thanks. 

Below applies to you, basically you have 12 months to attend a ceremony after approval but due to Covid they are willing to extend. Best bet is to visit an Australian counsulate in the UK and see what your options are if you are unable to return on Australia.

image.png.c3dd2c6c840a18dea880986e9b2da09c.png

35 minutes ago, immister said:

Below applies to you, basically you have 12 months to attend a ceremony after approval but due to Covid they are willing to extend. Best bet is to visit an Australian counsulate in the UK and see what your options are if you are unable to return on Australia.

image.png.c3dd2c6c840a18dea880986e9b2da09c.png

But in my immi account it says that it is only six months waiting after approval..

immiacct.jpg

2 minutes ago, SonGoku said:

But in my immi account it says that it is only six months waiting after approval..

immiacct.jpg

You should receive an Ceremony Invitation within 6 months of being approved after which you will have 12 months to attend a ceremony. If you dont attend the ceremony within 12 months your application could be cancelled and you will need to re apply.

Hi everyone,

I and my wife took the test together and passed 100% on 18/1/2020 in DoHA Parramatta Office. My wife’s application status in Immi account changed to approved few hours after the test but my one still showed received. We both summited all same documents for application and from same country. It’s not quite logical to me.

Does anyone know what is Doha’s procedures or criteria to approve the application after the test?

I received an invitation for an interview and citizenship test on the 02 Mar 2020. Then on the 24 Mar 2020 I received an email saying: "All citizenship test appointments have been suspended for the time being. You will be advised in due course as soon as interviews and testing resumes"

Since then(10 months ago) I haven't heard anything at all.

Anyone in a similar situation?

16 hours ago, SonGoku said:

immiacct.jpg

So what's your timeline? And what's your original nationality? I suspect the processing time is partly related with nationality. 

Edited by Ding

3 hours ago, Ding said:

So what's your timeline? And what's your original nationality? I suspect the processing time is partly related with nationality. 

prior to this visa, I was under Student Visa, and I am from Philippines

Applied Visa 187 (employer sponsorship)  22 Feb 2018

Visa 187 Granted   29 April 2019

Applied Citizenship  30 April 2020

Test and Interview. 6 Nov 2020

Approval of Citizenship application right after the test and interview and the status of my immi account changed from Received to Approved

Awaiting now for the Citizenship Ceremony

Edited by SonGoku

1 hour ago, helppls said:

Hi all, after passing the test on Dec 8 I was approved today. 

What's the average time between approval and being invited for a ceremony? And does the ceremony invite come via email or on the immi page?

Congratulations!!

You should receive an Citizenship Ceremony invite via email within the next 6 months from approval.

4 hours ago, galisuman said:

Does anyone have any experience applying for border exemption to travel oversees. please advise or share your experience 

My mate flew to the UK on compassionate grounds and didnt have any issues.

He reffered me to this webiste, which may help answer some of your questions

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

5 hours ago, galisuman said:

Does anyone have any experience applying for border exemption to travel oversees. please advise or share your experience 

Several forum members who needed exemptions to move back overseas permanently.  They have all been approved, except one who applied in the wrong category and didn't supply enough evidence. 

Why do you need to travel?

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, immister said:

My mate flew to the UK on compassionate grounds and didnt have any issues.

He reffered me to this webiste, which may help answer some of your questions

https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

I wonder what counts as compassionate grounds. Many of my family back home have and had covid but not very sick. But does 'i haven't seen my family for 2 years' count as compassionate grounds? 

58 minutes ago, helppls said:

I wonder what counts as compassionate grounds. Many of my family back home have and had covid but not very sick. But does 'i haven't seen my family for 2 years' count as compassionate grounds? 

No, what you’ve stated wouldn’t be seen as compassionate grounds.  You wouldn’t be able to see your family even if you were there right now and that’s likely to continue for some months. Households are not allowed to mix but irrelevant anyway. If they gave out exemptions to those who hadn’t seen family members for 2 years they’d be giving out thousands. 

Edited by Tulip1

On 19/12/2020 at 07:32, Slav said:

Update:

Citizenship Application

Date of applied          26/07/2020

Current Visa              187

Invitation                     10/11/2020

Test Date                     17/12/2020 (Passed 100%)

Approval                      19/01/2021

Ceremony                   Awaiting

City                              Brisbane

Received our invite to the City of Rockingham’s Citizenship Ceremony! 3 March is the day.  Can’t believe that after over 12 years since I first arrived here I’ll be a Citizen.  My husband did his test 13th Nov, and is also included as we linked our applications  

Citizenship App: 25 August 2020
Test Invitation: 27 October 20
Test Date: Original 9 December rescheduled 30 October 
Approval: 30 October 
Ceremony: 3 March 2021
Council: Rockingham, WA

• Congratulations 2

3 hours ago, helppls said:

I had a request approved because my father was very sick and everyone in the family is 60+ years old, as it was riskier for them due to covid, I decided to go the and take care of him after a surgery. If you go overseas, consider that coming back to Australia can be very challenging, there is a travel cap in place, and tickets are cancelled by airlines very frequently, that even includes cancellations for tickets in the business class.

I've tried calling immigration twice about this and they don't seem to be able to answer me. 

I applied for citizenship last January (been permanent resident for 10+ years). Then fell pregnant and had my baby in October. My test is at the end of February. 

My question is, do I need to/how do I add my baby to my application? She is already an Australian citizen because I was permanent resident, does that make a difference? I want to do the right thing but can't find answers! 

15 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

No, what you’ve stated wouldn’t be seen as compassionate grounds.  You wouldn’t be able to see your family even if you were there right now and that’s likely to continue for some months. Households are not allowed to mix but irrelevant anyway. If they gave out exemptions to those who hadn’t seen family members for 2 years they’d be giving out thousands. 

Yes but I would plan to stay there for an extended period, get a job etc. Not just a quick few weeks home. More like moving home indefinitely