Overseas Police checks for Citizenship

path2aus

We got our PR in 2012 and visited Australia in the same year to validate our visa. We then went back to US and stayed there for 4 years before returning back in 2017. We are now eligible to apply for citizenship. We understand that we need to apply for FBI clearance (USA) and Police Clearance from our country of birth but just wanted to understand the timing of the same. Does it have to be submitted along with the application or will it be requested later? I called the helpline and they said not request and only do it when requested. The FBI clearance takes 4-8 weeks to get done and the process is elaborate. I would like to submit the application and apply for the clearances in parallel. Is that possible? Any help will be appreciated.

2 hours ago, Jelly said:

It doesn't appear that you have met the below requirements:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/become-a-citizen/permanent-resident#Eligibility

image.png.fab16beda074d74ef87ca1b39b00e775.png

4 years with upto one year absence from the country. Which means I have completed 3 full years with entry date as 2012. One and 3 combination comes to just 3 years. 

29 minutes ago, path2aus said:

4 years with upto one year absence from the country. Which means I have completed 3 full years with entry date as 2012. One and 3 combination comes to just 3 years. 

If you lived in the states from 2013 to 2017 (as your post suggests) you won't be eligible until sometime in 2021. 

The four years have to be continuous with no more than 12 months (which would include things like a 4 day trip to NZ or a 2 week trip back home for a family wedding) out of the country in those four years. (Also in the final year no more than 3 months of that specific year can be outside AUS)

From what you've written you are around a year away from potentially qualifying but you might have made a type in your post and we are working from the wrong year maybe

6 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

If you lived in the states from 2013 to 2017 (as your post suggests) you won't be eligible until sometime in 2021. 

Not necessarily. Looking back four years from now (Feb 2020) takes us back to Feb 2016. He can count the time he spent in the US from Feb 2016 to Feb 2017 as his allowable year's absence. As long as he returned to Australia by Feb 2017 - and has spent no further time out of the country since then - he would be eligible for citizenship now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickyNook said:

Not necessarily. Looking back four years from now (Feb 2020) takes us back to Feb 2016. He can count the time he spent in the US from Feb 2016 to Feb 2017 as his allowable year's absence. As long as he returned to Australia by Feb 2017 - and has spent no further time out of the country since then - he would be eligible for citizenship now.

Ah yes that's a possibility

On 21/02/2020 at 19:14, NickyNook said:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yes people do do them later, but if you know you will need them best to get them anyway.  I think the application will list them as evidence required at the end of the application, as we didn’t need any I cannot confirm that though.  I do know people who have been asked for police checks at their interview/test though.

Yes people do do them later, but if you know you will need them best to get them anyway.  I think the application will list them as evidence required at the end of the application, as we didn’t need any I cannot confirm that though.  I do know people who have been asked for police checks at their interview/test though.

They do only have limited validity though so timing so be considered

HI all... just searched for Police clearance and this post came up

I am looking at another job and they have requested an international police clearance

went onto the AusPost website... they state

"UK Police Checks require

• An additional UK Specific Release form (Declaration of Consent form)
  • A clear copy of an ID document (Passport, driving license or birth certificate); and
  • Proof of current address. Current address document must always show the candidate’s name and the current address, and should fall into one of the following categories (documents issued recently are preferred):
    - Proof of Address documents issued within the last 30 days. (Must show issue date)
       Example: bank statement, utility bill, credit card Statement, any general letter/services, mortgage statement, council tax statement, P45/P60 statement (Posted directly to the candidate/Original PDF)
    - Proof of Address documents from ANY date.
       Example: Driving license, Firearms Certificate, EU National ID Card.
    Note: Tenancy agreements, change of address labels, police checks,"

So far I have scanned my passport in their database.

I have an original Telstra bill in .pdf format ready to go

QUESTIONS:

1) do I need to Scan an additional document, eg drivers licence as well

2) where can I get the "Additional UK SPECIFIC RELEASE FORM (Declaration of Consent form)" Found it!!

3) Am I reading this correctly that I should merge these .pdf's into one document and then submit?

Edited by SWMOY04