Moving back home to UK

Marinulay

29 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If you lived in Melbourne and had trouble with the apex gang you might agree with them. Like you say, depends on your experiences.

I went to uni in Birmingham and spent a couple of years living in Sparkhill student digs so I find your comments about the UK benefitting from emigration unbelievable. Apart from you could get a good cheap curry.

So the only good thing you get from the Asian community in Brum is a curry?  What about all of the doctors, nurses and other health professionals from various ethnicities who have made huge sacrifices to save the lives of white people during Covid?  I find your comments extremely offensive and racist.  My mother was born in Small Heath and grew up there. I spent a lot of time there as a child visiting my grandparents and then worked in Brum for 15 years as a lawyer.  My traditional working class English grandparents always treated their Irish, then Jamaican and then Pakistani neighbours with respect and as their equals and that was how I was raised to behave.  My uncle and aunt lived in Sparkhill for 20+ years and got on very well with their Gujarati neighbours and were treated like extended family.  I even got to go to a wedding at the temple when I stayed for the weekend. I suppose if you don't mix with people of other ethnicities then your natural response is to fear them and treat them as a threat.

Edited by Loopylu
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ramot said:

First you blame British immigrants for racism, then the  less educated poorly paid I assume Australians? who are threatened by immigrants. Next all crime and the spread of civic is the fault of either the Somalis or the Muslims, according to everyone who lives in Melbourne.

Your sweeping statements are out of order, and I take offence and I am angry at you insulting me because as I am British you make the assumption I might be one of the many you accuse of racism. I think an apology is in order.

with the benefit of hindsight I should have ignored your posts rather than been affected by the nonsense.

You really shouldn't get upset by what people post on social media ramot. I'm sure it's some peoples hobby to post stuff just to wind people up.

Not saying that about Loopylu, I think they really do believe what they say. Takes all kinds and all opinions.

21 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I remember my first trip to Darwìn on a work trip. First night there got called a white C*** by some of our lovely Traditional Owners. Not an unusual occurence in Darwin. 

I suppose that type of racism is acceptable to you though, given that you say this is their land.

Who do you think should own the UK's land given it's history? Must be loads of nationalities with a claim there.

That person was out of order too but after 200+ years of being treated  by the white population as sub-human, hardly surprising. By the way, how many of your white relatives have been murdered in a police cell?

Edited by Loopylu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pendragon said:

I also live in Perth, for past 13 years since moving from the West Country. I am male and most UK guys I tell of my dissatisfaction of living in Australia don't believe I could feel that way. I have worked or visited every state, capital city and beyond. No doubt there is some lovely scenery and in the main Australians are ok people. Hard to put into words, but it is just not home. Being married twice I now have children and grandkids on both sides of the world. To avoid a second divorce I too put my feels in box and get on with it. Visiting home when I can. 

My heart breaks for all of you feeling trapped and dissatisfied  with your lot. I' felt exactly  the same. I was only living in Australia because my husband was! But when he retired...out of the blue..he told me he wanted to come back home  to UK...to live....after 50 years of life in Oz!  And here we are..back in our beloved Yorkshire.....with all its green..and familiar things! It's so beautiful...our hearts and our souls belong here! I wish you all the joy in life...and hope that one day..you can be back...where you too belong xxx

• Like 5
  • Congratulations 1

49 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

Ramot  - I apologise if it upsets your Snowflake temperament when I write of my lived experience and the views I have heard from people I have met in Australia or read in Australian newspapers.  I am both British and Australian and the reason I raised these issues is because of the indirect racism displayed in Paul1Perth's response to my views on the treatment of refugees and the fact that the UK is overrun with them as if that were a terrible thing.  Now it's your turn to call me a Bleeding Heart Leftard.  If you don't like reading about the lived experiences of others,  I suggest you leave the forum.

Wow I am a snowflake in my 70’s that must be a record, I know nothing about you nor want to but I have lived in 5 different countries, and this snowflake went to work in Africa as a single female in the 1960’s. Braver than most snowflakes, plus lived in a Muslim country for 10 years, so have more experience of life than most snowflakes. 
I have no intention of calling you anything, I know in the past I posted You a friendly supportive post as I was concerned about you, but I think you could be a little more thoughtful about what you post. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

Ramot  - I apologise if it upsets your Snowflake temperament when I write of my lived experience and the views I have heard from people I have met in Australia or read in Australian newspapers.  I am both British and Australian and the reason I raised these issues is because of the indirect racism displayed in Paul1Perth's response to my views on the treatment of refugees and the fact that the UK is overrun with them as if that were a terrible thing.  Now it's your turn to call me a Bleeding Heart Leftard.  If you don't like reading about the lived experiences of others,  I suggest you leave the forum.

A totally uncalled for remark.  I do realise you are frustrated because you don't like Australia and wish you were back in the UK but take a breath before losing your rag with other posters and start accusing them of all sorts of things.  I don't think Australia is any more racist than most countries.  I've heard racist remarks in every country I've lived in.  It's not good to hear them but that's just the way it is with some people.  T'hey won't change just because we don't like it and don't agree with them.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

You really shouldn't get upset by what people post on social media ramot. I'm sure it's some peoples hobby to post stuff just to wind people up.

Not saying that about Loopylu, I think they really do believe what they say. Takes all kinds and all opinions.

I should know better Paul than to react, for some reason the post just annoyed me. I have replied one more time, but have the sense to ignore from now on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Let this be the end of this particular topic- I guess we all see and hear from our own experiences and, sadly, some obviously have terrible and negative experiences and probably would never be happy here.

I apologise if have caused offence by saying that I have experienced racist views from Aussies and Brits living in Australia. The only person I have a gripe with on this front is Paul1Perth who made derogatory and ( in my view) racist remarks about immigration to the UK and who triggered my original comments that caused such a stir.   Happy to draw a line under this aspect of the thread.  Have a lovely evening, one and all.

17 minutes ago, Loopylu said:

Toots - you might think that Australia is no more racist than other countries but that, unfortunately, is not my experience. I have never witnessed people of Asian or black appearance being verbally abused in public in the UK but I have in this country on numerous occasions.  Perhaps this is because Brits with similar views are more reserved and closet racists?  I am sorry if my comments caused offence.  However, it is important that racism is called out when experienced or promoted and the original racist post by Paul1Perth about refugees flooding the UK upset me and needed a response.  Also, why does Paul1Perth find the need to attack people who don't enjoy life in Australia and dare to share that information on the  Moving back home page? 

That is your lived experience and you are as entitled to express that as a concern and I agree wih you, there is way too much every day acceptance of racist views in Australia,  and was one of the contributing factors to me leaving also, never felt sure when having a conversation when some objectionable comment would come tumbling out.

Although I must say brexit and the Mail and Express have made casual racism acceptable here but it is less likely to be experienced if you stay away from the lower socio economic groupings I find people are just in denial

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Loopylu said:

That person was out of order too but after 200+ years of being treated  by the white population as sub-human, hardly surprising. By the way, how many of your white relatives have been murdered in a police cell?

You obviously believe Aborigines are murdered in police custody. I don't. 

I don't think I've ever had relatives in jail anywhere. If you don't do anything wrong you won't end up in custody. If you do get approached by the cops say yes sir, no sir and behave. It's amazing how that can keep you out of trouble.

In my younger days I was what was classed as a hippy, long hair, kaftan, drank a lot, went to concerts, out late. I had my fair share of being singled out by police as maybe a potential trouble maker. I made sure I said and did the right thing and usually the cops were OK. They don't want to do all the paperwork, let alone have people in custody when there's no need.

That goes twice as much for aborigines from my lived experience. They bend over backwards to keep them out of prison and keep the numbers down. Unfortunately they do an awful lot wrong.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Funny how the views I have heard expressed from Melbourne are that all crime is the fault of Sudanese and the Muslims spread Covid during Ramadan...

I live in Melbourne and have never heard such views expressed except by one or two people on this very forum. I guess if you live in a bogan suburb then you’d hear it, but then if you live on a chav area in the UK you’ll hear it too 

• Like 1

On 07/09/2020 at 15:17, Marinulay said:

My heart breaks for all of you feeling trapped and dissatisfied  with your lot. I' felt exactly  the same. I was only living in Australia because my husband was! But when he retired...out of the blue..he told me he wanted to come back home  to UK...to live....after 50 years of life in Oz!  And here we are..back in our beloved Yorkshire.....with all its green..and familiar things! It's so beautiful...our hearts and our souls belong here! I wish you all the joy in life...and hope that one day..you can be back...where you too belong xxx

Thankyou for your words. I do travel back HOME every year to visit my children and grandchildren. That will suffice for now. Doubtful my wife will ever wish to leave Australia and my children definitely don't want to live in Australia. Think it is hard for some people to realise that sometimes it requires more than sunshine to make a brighter day. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

Thankyou for your words. I do travel back HOME every year to visit my children and grandchildren. That will suffice for now. Doubtful my wife will ever wish to leave Australia and my children definitely don't want to live in Australia. Think it is hard for some people to realise that sometimes it requires more than sunshine to make a brighter day. 

What an awful situation to be in.  I've said this before:  I believe there are two kinds of people, the nomads and the homebodies.   

Nomads can live happily anywhere they hang their hat.  They may have fond memories of their home country but that's as far as it goes.  They make good migrants. 

Homebodies, on the other hand, have a deep and abiding connection to the country of their birth.  They can enjoy the good things about living in another country for a while, but they can never feel 100% whole unless they're on home soil.  If they live abroad, there's a strange emptiness in their soul that can never be filled.  It just feels wrong - and the longer they stay overseas, the worse it gets.  And it doesn't matter how gorgeous their new country is - it could be a paradise and it would make no difference.   Sadly, most people don't realise they're homebodies untli they try to live abroad - and by then it may be too late, because they have a "nomad" partner who doesn't understand how they feel.

The only thing that will solve the problem is to go home.  Nothing else works. If it comes down to a choice between country and partner, and you want to stay with your partner, then I suggest getting some professional help, because your homesickness can so easily spiral into clinical depression if you don't keep an eye on it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What an awful situation to be in.  I've said this before:  I believe there are two kinds of people, the nomads and the homebodies.   

Nomads can live happily anywhere they hang their hat.  They may have fond memories of their home country but that's as far as it goes.  They make good migrants. 

Homebodies, on the other hand, have a deep and abiding connection to the country of their birth.  They can enjoy the good things about living in another country for a while, but they can never feel 100% whole unless they're on home soil.  If they live abroad, there's a strange emptiness in their soul that can never be filled.  It just feels wrong - and the longer they stay overseas, the worse it gets.  And it doesn't matter how gorgeous their new country is - it could be a paradise and it would make no difference.   Sadly, most people don't realise they're homebodies untli they try to live abroad - and by then it may be too late, because they have a "nomad" partner who doesn't understand how they feel.

The only thing that will solve the problem is to go home.  Nothing else works. If it comes down to a choice between country and partner, and you want to stay with your partner, then I suggest getting some professional help, because your homesickness can so easily spiral into clinical depression if you don't keep an eye on it. 

I suppose I am a nomad.  As you said Marisa I have very fond memories of my home country but am settled and happy here.  It's not just Australia though.  I know of 'homebodies' who are in the USA, Canada and NZ who feel just as Pendragon feels.  They just want to be back home where they feel they belong.

• Like 3