You don't need success stories at this stage.  What you need is to determine in the first instance  if your partner is eligible to apply for a work visa as you won't be able to migrate without one.

Have a look at this website to get an idea of the process for applying for a skilled independent visa: ( it is quite a complex and expensive process)

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189/points-tested

Then come back with more questions after reading that.  

Having a parent also  migrate is a separate, long, complex and expensive issue.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums @Rebeccamctaggart.   

Your best bet is to see a migration agent.  The reputable ones will give you an initial consultation free of charge and that will let you know whether you are eligible to apply, and what your chances of success are.

Your partner's mother will not be able to move with you.   There are visas for parents but they cost thousands and thousands of pounds and the waiting list is very long - she might get a visa in 7 or 8 years time if she's lucky.   There is a lower-cost visa but the waiting list is even longer for that - 30 years.  She won't even be able to apply until you've been living in Australia for 2 years, and the government would like to stop parent visas - so who knows whether they will even be available by then.

As Skani says, you don't need success stories now.  What you really need to know are the risks and potential downsides of moving.  If, after you've researched those, you are still keen to move - then you know you're doing the right thing, and your enthusiasm will carry you through the tough times at the start.

The biggest deciding factor, really, is how close you and your partner are to your friends and family.   If you're fairly independent and don't see them all that often, then moving thousands of miles away won't be too much of a wrench.  If you're in each other's pockets and rely on them for support, it'll be a huge shock to suddenly find yourself all alone, with no friends, no babysitters, no support - and it's not like you can hop on a plane to see them, because you'll have spent upwards of 30K on moving and getting settled, then you'll need a deposit to buy a home, so there's unlikely to be any money for expensive air fares for a few years, especially for a big family like yours.

I've lived in Australia for over 30 years and I'm very happy here, but I wouldn't say Australia offers a "better life' than the UK.  Both places have their good points and bad points.   Which one you prefer is a matter of personal preference.   

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Definitely have a good long discussion with your partner Rebecca.  Many people migrate and enjoy living in Australia and many can't wait to return to their country of origin as they miss family and friends and are very homesick.  I married an Australian I met in the UK and have lived here for nearly 40 years and have enjoyed my life in the three different states we have lived in. We brought up two sons here but I really don't think there is that much difference for children here and in the UK.  If you have a nice life in the UK I wouldn't say it would be any better in Australia.  Not trying to put you off!!  But there is a lot to take into consideration.  Australia used to be a reasonably cheap place to live in but it's not like that anymore.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

Would it be difficult to get a visa with my partner only having a skilled job and not myself? We aren’t married yet, would we need to save a lot? Would be need to pay for our children to go school? So many questions I’ve got to ask.

Only one of you needs to qualify, then the partner and children just get included on the application.  It doesn't matter if you're married or not, provided you're in an established relationship.

You do need a good amount of savings because there's a big initial cost.  You'll have:

• Visa application fees
  • Migration agent fees
  • Air fares
  • Shipping your belongings (or if you don't ship, buying everything new when you arrive)
  • Buying a car (more expensive in Australia)
  • Holiday accommodation for four weeks while you look for a home to rent
  • Rental bond (four weeks rent)
  • Money to live on for at least six months, because your husband will be on low wages for some time. He needs to get his licence to work as a full electrician, so he'll need to take a course when he first arrives, then work as a trades assistant (similar to an apprentice) for several months.

The figure most often quoted is £30,000.   You may have that money when you sell your house, but remember, if you spend that money on migrating, then you'll have less money to buy a house in Australia - and in many parts of Australia, houses are more expensive than in the UK.

If you have very small children then you may not be able to rely on your wage to keep the family going, because childcare is very expensive in Australia.  I know women who can't afford to work because the childcarew would cost more than they can earn.

https://www.careforkids.com.au/child-care-articles/article/77/how-much-does-child-care-cost

Edited by Marisawright

1 minute ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

Thank you for your help, my daughters will be aged 6 and 12, will we have to pay for them to go to a state school? 

No, assuming you get a PR visa (and honestly, with a family, I wouldn't recommend migrating if you can't get a PR visa).   However you do have to pay for before- and after-school care.

You don’t pay fees for state schools although they are not entirely free like UK ones.  There are admin fees, books and equipment to buy as these are not all provided as in UK. Many schools also have uniforms which are not generic like the UK and they can be expensive too. You can look at school websites to get an idea.  
Also health care is different even Medicare (not private insurance) can have additional fees attached and dies not cover dental.

• Like 1

Don't do it just for "better life for  the kids" - there is nothing inherently  "better", it's just another first world country with the same problems that any other first world country enjoys. If you want to do it, do it because you have a blazing desire for adventure and you're prepared to lose around £50k.  Please don't do it because you've watched WDU or H&A and think life is actually like that. 

I'm in Australia on holiday at the moment and I'm gobsmacked at how expensive things are - even doing the quick £/$ calculation. I know Marisa had mentioned the £30k estimate for getting settled but, honestly I'd be upping that to £50k and add to that, too, the 6 months (take an average wage) buffer just in case you're out of work for a while and sparkies can be of of work as it takes them a while to get their state certificates (UK qualifications not enough here!). Should add I lived here for 32 years before we moved back to UK for the last 8 years caring for elderly parents, now on our way back in a few months after this holiday.

If at the end of that you're in the "Life is an Adventure" camp then talk to an agent and see if you've got a look in with a PR visa before you go all gung Ho planning other stuff. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Morning Rebecca

I have just recently received my 190visa for South Australia and looking at making the move this August with my wife and 2 kids.  Australia is something I have always fancied even though I haven't even been to the country before.

I don't expect there to be much difference between the UK & Aus but if I can have the weather then that will be a big plus for me, will we stay there for the rest of our life I don't know but at least we wont have any what ifs in 20 years time.

So its either going to be the best thing we have ever done or its not what we thought and we come back to the UK with no what ifs.

Costs for me so far have been:

£1600 skill assessment metal fabricator

£4150 visa application for 2 adults and 2 kids

£800 medicals for all of us

£400 for 2 IELTS tests

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

thank you for your help.

did you wait long on your visa? we are planning on going on October to look at different areas.

I submitted my visa application end of April 2019 but started the process June 2018.

Like everyone else is saying though, speak to an agent then at least you have a better idea of things.

Are both of your children with your partner? only if there not then you would have to get permission to take your kids out of the country.

2 hours ago, Lavers said:

I don't expect there to be much difference between the UK & Aus

Costs for me so far have been:....

Australia is a foreign country that just happens to speak English, so you will find a big difference in attitudes and culture.  It's one reason I just couldn't settle when I tried retiring back in the UK - I had got too used to the Aussie culture and couldn't adapt back to the English one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Australia is a foreign country that just happens to speak English, so you will find a big difference in attitudes and culture.  It's one reason I just couldn't settle when I tried retiring back in the UK - I had got too used to the Aussie culture and couldn't adapt back to the English one. 

Sorry I meant im not expecting my life to become a hundred times better than the one I have now.

49 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

Can I ask what agency you used please?

yeah both children have the same father, we aren’t married and was wondering if it would be a plus for us to be married?

we want to save save save but we want to rent before we buy a property,l.

I didn't use an agent but I did get an assessment done so I could explore my options.

It doesn't matter about being married, it just means that you will have to provide more evidence than someone who is married.

I have enough money to move now but im just staying to save more money to buy a house after 12months in Aus

49 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

yeah both children have the same father, we aren’t married and was wondering if it would be a plus for us to be married?

we want to save save save but we want to rent before we buy a property,l.

It makes no difference whether you're married or not.   Australia recognises living together more so than the UK, I find.  It's called "de facto" over here and de facto partners have the same rights as married partners. 

When you buy a house, it takes about six weeks for the purchase to be settled, so you wouldn't have time to buy a house when you arrive anyway.   You'll need to sign up for a six month or twelve month lease on a place first. It's a good idea anyway as it gives you time to research the suburbs.

Edited by Marisawright

5 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

Okay thank you for your help, is there a minimum you have to have saved?

They set out guidelines and for South Aus it was $30,000 I think for a family of 4, I just put on my application what I was planning on taking but I was never asked for evidence (although I think some states do).

Most people reckon that you need to look at having money to cover the 1st 6months whilst you find work, although a lad a have been chatting to on here moved out recently and found work as an electrician straight away. 

I think as an electrician you have to start as an electricians mate for 12 months whilst you get experience in Aus.

6 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

Yeah we are planning on having quite a bit, save save save I guess, so are my right in thinking you have permanent residence? 

how are you feeling about moving? 

ah okay that’s great, my other half is hoping to get a sponsorship

I am not an Electrician, but I think sponsorship is very hard to come by these days - they are not short of electricians any more.

43 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

Yeah we are planning on having quite a bit, save save save I guess, so are my right in thinking you have permanent residence? 

how are you feeling about moving? 

Yeah its a PR visa, we are all excited but nervous at the same time and so much to sort out.

Im very laid back so I tend to take everything in my stride, I don't really have any family so I don't have to worry about that side of things.

At the end of the day what will be will be.

If moving to Aus is something you really want to do then you are probably best to start the ball rolling as things are changing all the time.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rebeccamctaggart said:

A sponsorship is not the solution.

An employer-sponsored visa is just a temporary visa for 2 to 4 years, then you have to return to the UK, so that won't do you any good.   At the end of the contract, there is a chance that you might be able to get a PR visa, but do you really want to sell your house and upheave your children for the sake of 2 years with every chance that you'll have to upheave everything again and end up back where you started?  

Besides, he's an electrician and like I said, he won't be allowed to take a job as a qualifieid electrican until he's done his training in Australia and served his time as a trades assistant.  Not many employers would be willing to offer him a sponsored visa on that basis, it's a very expensive and complicated business for the employer so they don't do it lightly.

I know it will be scary coming out to Australia with no job to go to, but as an electrician he doesn't really have much choice.

• Like 1