Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

2 hours ago, MajHam said:

Visa agent came back after I queried what was said and they said same as yourself. I know it’s going to be really difficult to get a flight and expensive if we find one. Hoping that as Melbourne and other areas accept international travellers that when the time comes we will find something. Not willing to wait any longer than we have to so ready for the hit of business class prices and quarantine costs. Will just have to live very frugally for a while 🤣.

Just done a quick recce. Manchester to Sydney one way. This is sole availability for business and the price is for one person ! £5200 (GBP) each plus your quarantine which I believe is 2- 3000 AUD per person  - you need deep pockets !! DA5AC1AB-7740-4C5E-ADED-CDAC61A945DA.thumb.png.5731e3108def8c4dd744220504030607.png

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SusieRoo said:

I can see how important it is to get the ‘no further stay’ condition removed, as even a new three-month tourist visa would give you some breathing space. What about NZ, do they have open flights now? This would at least save you having to travel back here with all the problems and cost of quarantine.

NZ not open to us. If I have to go home it would cost about $10000 dollars to get out and back and quarantine 🤬

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

I am, but I have to leave 12 months is up 23 Dec and 600 visa expires. I have the 12 in 18 months condition on it.
I have applied for the “no further stay “ clause to be removed ( if you remember I had every condition going attached my 600)😕....then apply for another 600, am panicking!!!

So you applied offshore then came on 600 for 6 months? Is the plan to keep renewing 600 so you can stay here until your 143 is granted? 

19 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

So you applied offshore then came on 600 for 6 months? Is the plan to keep renewing 600 so you can stay here until your 143 is granted? 

I did, l had a 600 valid for 3yrs . I came for 12months then went home for 6mths am now at the end of my second 12Months. Will apply for another 600 this week hoping my 143 comes through soon. Am at very final stages since March.

They may only grant 3mths 600 this time who knows!

Although I can’t leave Oz to activate the 143 when offered  at least it will be nice to know it’s there ready and waiting. 

1 hour ago, Ollie1234 said:

You can’t generally keep applying year  on year for 600. Most parents are given a 3 year 600 visa with a 12 in 18 months clause. Previously you only needed to leave for a day before starting another 12 months. Any application in last  two  years is likely to be waiting a lot longer especially as all applications after 1 June 2018 are now being put in a queue after being assessed. -which could add 2 years to original lodgement date. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kathss56 said:

I did, l had a 600 valid for 3yrs . I came for 12months then went home for 6mths am now at the end of my second 12Months. Will apply for another 600 this week hoping my 143 comes through soon. Am at very final stages since March.

They may only grant 3mths 600 this time who knows!

Although I can’t leave Oz to activate the 143 when offered  at least it will be nice to know it’s there ready and waiting. 

Thanks for explaining. My folks are only 6 months in the queue but want to come soon as they can. It's so hard to work out what the options are. 😞
Wishing you good luck! 

17 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

You can’t generally keep applying year  on year for 600. Most parents are given a 3 year 600 visa with a 12 in 18 months clause. Previously you only needed to leave for a day before starting another 12 months. Any application in last  two  years is likely to be waiting a lot longer especially as all applications after 1 June 2018 are now being put in a queue after being assessed. -which could add 2 years to original lodgement date. 

A 2 year wait for the 600 visa? Or are you referring to 143? 

5 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

I’m currently at a 4yr 8 months wait for 143!

My 600 which I applied for in 2018 was valid for 3 yrs but every 12 months I had to go home  for 6months then back again for another 12mths. You won’t get one Valid for more than 3yrs and like me they may have to leave Oz every 12 for 6mths

best option given your wait time would be a 5yr 870 temporary parent visa in my opinion. You can then apply for another one after that up to 10yrs max. Read up on it on homeaffairs

Edited by Kathss56

11 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I’m currently at a 4yr 8 months wait for 143!

My 600 which I applied for in 2018 was valid for 3 yrs but every 12 months I had to go home  for 6months then back again for another 12mths. You won’t get one Valid for more than 3yrs and like me they may have to leave Oz every 12 for 6mths

best option given your wait time would be a 5yr 870 temporary parent visa in my opinion. You can then apply for another one after that up to 10yrs max. Read up on it on homeaffairs

Thanks Kathss56, we did look at that but no-one want the uncertainty of what happens at 5 or 10 years. They would be in their 80s then - it would be hard to go back. 

9 minutes ago, Ollie1234 said:

Any 143  application made before  1 June 2018 had its application date as its queue date. 
Any 143 application after 1 June 2018 is being assessed first before being given a queue date like in the 103 queue-  this has generally had the effect of adding another 2 years to the original application date.

This has been discussed in earlier posts if you look back. . 

600 visas are usually granted quite quickly but you can’t apply till the borders open and you have to meet the rules which generally say  only 12 months stay in 18 months and they dont usually keep on granting them. 870 is your best bet.but they are only allowed up to 10 years maximum with a 3 months out of Australia gap in between renewals. 

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

143 Visa Granted!

Wow, that was quick - granted same day as I paid 2nd VAC - 10 Nov 2020.

Have 12 months for first entry to arrive by.

Brilliant!  Do you mind if I ask - have you already sold your house ready to go or were you waiting for this moment?  We can't decide whether to put ours on the market yet.......

10 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

NZ not open to us. If I have to go home it would cost about $10000 dollars to get out and back and quarantine 🤬

If you went home now would they actually let you go straight back or would you have to wait till your 143 visa is granted?  Are they actually issuing any 600 visas just now?  You must be very close to the top of the list anyway so hopefully, if you did go home, your 143 would be granted very soon allowing you to return as a PR

10 hours ago, Kathss56 said:

Ignore my post above - I've just seen your post on the other thread saying you have received your 'no further stay' waiver.  That's great news - you can enjoy your Christmas build-up now without worrying...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BargeUK said:

Brilliant!  Do you mind if I ask - have you already sold your house ready to go or were you waiting for this moment?  We can't decide whether to put ours on the market yet.......

I sold 2018 been in Oz since then on a 3yr 600. Had to leave every 12mths to go home for 6mths as per visa condition 

My 600 expires 23 Dec so at least now they have removed that clause I can stay onshore and apply for another 600. When they offer my 143 I will ask them to hold it until I can safely travel in and out. They have done this for others  🤞

12 minutes ago, Kathss56 said:

I sold 2018 been in Oz since then on a 3yr 600. Had to leave every 12mths to go home for 6mths as per visa condition 

My 600 expires 23 Dec so at least now they have removed that clause I can stay onshore and apply for another 600. When they offer my 143 I will ask them to hold it until I can safely travel in and out. They have done this for others  🤞

Sorry Kath, the question regarding the house sale was actually intended for Yorkie - maybe I pressed the wrong button?  I'm very happy for you that your issues are resolved - visa worries can take over your entire life at times like these so it must be a huge relief!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ollie1234 said:

Thanks Kathss56, we did look at that but no-one want the uncertainty of what happens at 5 or 10 years. They would be in their 80s then - it would be hard to go back. 

The rules could change a lot in 5 or 10 years and there may be other options by then.  At least your parents would have had all that time with you rather than the alternative of travelling backwards and forwards for a few months at a time.  Saving the cost of that travel helps towards visa costs in a small way...

3 minutes ago, BargeUK said:

The rules could change a lot in 5 or 10 years and there may be other options by then.  At least your parents would have had all that time with you rather than the alternative of travelling backwards and forwards for a few months at a time.  Saving the cost of that travel helps towards visa costs in a small way...

Yes they could but I think the problem then arises with ill health etc as the older you get the more problems you have and you can’t get Medicare on 870. It has to be private health insurance. There may be an element of reciprocal included but on reading  all the details about 870 it would appear that everything is then chargeable to the sponsor.!! So if there was a downturn in health over the years it could prove very problematic indeed. As always the devil is in the detail!! 

09099C16-2CB1-4BB3-BBA6-D1A574AB5C04.png

I can hardly believe I’m writing this. 2nd VAC request receive today and paid via bpay. 😁😁

Thank you to this group for keeping me sane (ish) during this awful year, Especially @Kathss56 ( your turn very soon) 

Don’t know if others are aware that when you pay via Bpay you don’t need to increase personal daily limit to pay. The receiving business sets the limit, I didn’t know this until I contacted Westpac to increase my daily limit 

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 9

Just now, Lady Jane said:

I can hardly believe I’m writing this. 2nd VAC request receive today and paid via bpay. 😁😁

Thank you to this group for keeping me sane (ish) during this awful year, Especially @Kathss56 ( your turn very soon) 

Don’t know if others are aware that when you pay via Bpay you don’t need to increase personal daily limit to pay. The receiving business sets the limit, I didn’t know this until I contacted Westpac to increase my daily limit 

W O O H O O !!!!!

been sat here refreshing my screen waiting for you to post. 🥂until we meet up,👍😁

4 minutes ago, Lady Jane said:

So very very pleased for you !! 🎈🇦🇺🇦🇺🍾🍾

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Yes they could but I think the problem then arises with ill health etc as the older you get the more problems you have and you can’t get Medicare on 870. It has to be private health insurance. There may be an element of reciprocal included but on reading  all the details about 870 it would appear that everything is then chargeable to the sponsor.!! So if there was a downturn in health over the years it could prove very problematic indeed. As always the devil is in the detail!! 

09099C16-2CB1-4BB3-BBA6-D1A574AB5C04.png

Exactly this. I think whatever they do it needs to be permanent. In some ways, having to move them back to the UK in 5 or 10 years when they have sold up to come here is almost worse than not coming at all. I'd rather pay the $100k and know they will be citizens eventually.