870 parents temporary visa

I am in the process of applying for the 870 visa. Sponsorship has already just been approved. Can I know if I have to wait for immigration to ask for the police clearance? I only need to do PC from Singapore and the authorities here told me that I need to produce a letter of request. I am not in a rush but I have to submit my application within 6 months. Any ideas anyone? 

• 3 months later...

Hey all,,

im new to this chat! I’m planning to bring my parents to Australia. So I read home affairs site few times. Finally I thought 870 is suitable for my parents. And I’m planning to apply for this visa up to5 years. There are few of my friends said,, after one year of staying they (parents) have to leave Australia for 6 months and re enter. Is that true??? Can any one help me with this????

On 24/09/2021 at 18:33, Sau Sam said:

Hey all,,

im new to this chat! I’m planning to bring my parents to Australia. So I read home affairs site few times. Finally I thought 870 is suitable for my parents. And I’m planning to apply for this visa up to5 years. There are few of my friends said,, after one year of staying they (parents) have to leave Australia for 6 months and re enter. Is that true??? Can any one help me with this????

Hope you realise that in many cases one 5 year 870 is not enough ?  New applications for 143 are likely to take around 15-18 years 

Hey guys, I am stuck with a few questions in the Sponsorship application for 870. FYI my mum have previously applied for 143 visa and still waiting.

Page 1, Q1. Is this sponsor currently an approved parent sponsor?

For visa 143, my husband is an approved sponsor for my mum, so I was thinking to answer Yes. Once you click Yes, there is a choice of two: Sponsorship Application ID number or Sponsorship Application TRN but I don't think I have ever received one, I only have the Application ID for Parent visa 143 Application, is that it or is there a separate Application ID for Sponsorship for visa 143? I am confused.

Page 1, Q2. Has this sponsor previously sponsored the parent visa applicant? 

Do they ask whether we sponsored mum before for visa 870?

Also, my hubby and I both will sponsor my mum for visa 870. Does it mean we have to complete two separate sponsorship applications?

TIA

32 minutes ago, AnVi said:

Hey guys, I am stuck with a few questions in the Sponsorship application for 870. FYI my mum have previously applied for 143 visa and still waiting.

For visa 143, my husband is an approved sponsor for my mum, so I was thinking to answer Yes. Once you click Yes, there is a choice of two: Sponsorship Application ID number or Sponsorship Application TRN but I don't think I have ever received one, I only have the Application ID for Parent visa 143 Application, is that it or is there a separate Application ID for Sponsorship for visa 143? I am confused.

Also, my hubby and I both will sponsor my mum for visa 870. Does it mean we have to complete two separate sponsorship applications?

TIA

As the enquirer doesn't appear to require professional assistance I'll let others answer these questions ...

Best regards.

On 01/10/2021 at 16:49, Alan Collett said:

As the enquirer doesn't appear to require professional assistance I'll let others answer these questions ...

Best regards.

Alan Collet, as nobody answered these questions, could you please help? Thank you

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

@AnVi, agents like Alan will answer a few simple questions on these forums, but if you want advice from a professional agent, you must pay for it.   

I have no problem with that mate, I have two simple questions about the application form and that is pretty much it. I have worked out now that I need only one application for my sponsorship. So if you guys can clarify what those application questions mean, that would be great. Cheers

2 hours ago, AnVi said:

I have no problem with that mate, I have two simple questions about the application form and that is pretty much it. I have worked out now that I need only one application for my sponsorship. So if you guys can clarify what those application questions mean, that would be great. Cheers

Happy to help if you are open to us assisting in a formal capacity.

We're a busy practice, and time is valuable!

Best regards.

On 01/10/2021 at 16:16, AnVi said:

TIA

The Family Sponsorship process for an 870 visa application is a separate process. It is not the same as a sponsor for a 143 visa application. It sounds like you need assistance.

14 minutes ago, Lisa De Leon said:

Where do you get this information? The current processing time is 5 - 6 years.

The 5-6 years processing only relates to the ones they are currently processing ie May 2016!

The information comes from a reputable agent who posts on this forum and who gained the numbers of applicants waiting in the contributory queue from a Freedom of Information request to Home Affairs - so the figures are correct  - see here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-update

Edited by LindaH27

29 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

The 5-6 years processing only relates to the ones they are currently processing ie May 2016!

The information comes from a reputable agent who posts on this forum and who gained the numbers of applicants waiting in the contributory queue from a Freedom of Information request to Home Affairs - so the figures are correct  - see here https://www.gm-parent-visas.com/contributory-parent-visa-application-numbers-update

I see nothing about 15 - 18 years. Yes there is a backlog, and that is where the 870 visa can be useful so that families can be together while they await processing of their parent visas.

6 minutes ago, Lisa De Leon said:

I see nothing about 15 - 18 years. Yes there is a backlog, and that is where the 870 visa can be useful so that families can be together while they await processing of their parent visas.

You need to divide the numbers before you by  the annual cap of 3600. The newer applications mean there’s already 65k in the queue. Divide that by 3600 gives 18 years for new applications. I’m June 2017 and there’s approx 20k before me - divide that by 3600 and that shows I’ve still got quite a few years to wait. 

Also in May and June 2017 those two months alone  had nearly  9000 applications. That means on current quota of 3600 it will take 2.5 years just to get through those two months! It’s been stuck  on May 2016 for around 16 months and there’s still many May 2016 applicants who are waiting for their grants. 
5-6 years wait is impossible for many applicants now 

Edited by LindaH27

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

You need to divide the numbers before you by  the annual cap of 3600. The newer applications mean there’s already 65k in the queue. Divide that by 3600 gives 18 years for new applications. I’m June 2017 and there’s approx 20k before me - divide that by 3600 and that shows I’ve still got quite a few years to wait. 

Also in May and June 2017 those two months alone  had nearly  9000 applications. That means on current quota of 3600 it will take 2.5 years just to get through those two months! It’s been stuck  on May 2016 for around 16 months and there’s still many May 2016 applicants who are waiting for their grants. 
5-6 years wait is impossible for many applicants now 

Your calculations are incorrect. These numbers also include non-contributory applications.

8 minutes ago, Lisa De Leon said:

Your calculations are incorrect. These numbers also include non-contributory applications.

Oh they don’t!!! . Look at the headings and you will see ONLY contributory visas.

The total number of all visas as mentioned in the migration report from Australia is 114k  - that includes the non contributory. Visas as well so the non contributory visas number around 49k. 

BF41C548-39DE-455D-A234-8F903C65DADA.png

Edited by LindaH27

4 hours ago, Lisa De Leon said:

For those that have been in the queue for many years already maybe.  I assume you aren’t suggesting that someone applying for the 143 now would wait just 5 to 6 years.  If so would you please be so kind as to say how you’ve got to that figure based on the current queue length for the 143 against the current annual visas given.  I’d love you to be right and everyone else wrong including many other migrant agents.  No disrespect meant in any way.  Just feel it’s important that those considering it know the facts.  I’ve been in the queue almost five years now and have a way to go.  The queue was half the size it currently is when I joined it and the annual quota far bigger than now.  Even if you use your highest figure of 6 years then the queue cannot be more than about 18 thousand,  maximum 20 thousand.  

Edited by Tulip1

9 hours ago, Lisa De Leon said:

I thought you were an agent? 

The official figure is 5-6 years, but that reflects the time it HAS taken for the applications CURRENTLY  being processed - i.e., those that were submitted 5-6 years ago.  

All you have to do, is do some simple mathematics based on the number of people now in the queue, and the quota awarded each year, and you'll see how long someone is likely to be waiting if they apply today.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lisa De Leon said:

Currently - yes, for applications being allocated to delegates now.   

But unfortunately not for an application lodged today - unless the Government significantly increases the annual quota for CPV grants.

Best regards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2021 at 12:37, Paulie said:

Dears, does anyone know if the government has resumed the 870 visa processing in light of easing travel restrictions and parents now treated as immediate family members?

Thanks.

Parents will be recognised as Immediate Family for the purposes of a travel exemption request from 1 November 2021. It will then be possible to apply for a travel exemption in the Immediate Family category after this date. Once a travel exemption is approved the visa application can progress. 

Edited by Lisa De Leon

10 hours ago, Lisa De Leon said:

Parents will be recognised as Immediate Family for the purposes of a travel exemption request from 1 November 2021. It will then be possible to apply for a travel exemption in the Immediate Family category after this date. Once a travel exemption is approved the visa application can progress. 

Regarding visa 870, does one have to apply for exemption after submitting sponsorship or the second part of the application? Thanks