Confused about the English test

Loopylulucy

My husband and I were told by a migration agent in 2016 that my husband needed to do an English test before we started the visa process. Since then, the agent kind of dumped us so we’ve decided to try applying for the visas ourselves, but looking at the Australian government site it says for competent English you only need to have a British passport if not then you have to do the test. 

Am I right in thinking he gets the points for having a british passport or am I just wishful thinking? 

3 minutes ago, Loopylulucy said:

My husband and I were told by a migration agent in 2016 that my husband needed to do an English test before we started the visa process. Since then, the agent kind of dumped us so we’ve decided to try applying for the visas ourselves, but looking at the Australian government site it says for competent English you only need to have a British passport if not then you have to do the test. 

Am I right in thinking he gets the points for having a british passport or am I just wishful thinking? 

There are 2 reasons for the English test.

1. Points
2. To demonstrate you're competent

With a British passport you don't need to do number 2. However to claim the points you will need to take the test.

4 hours ago, Loopylulucy said:

My husband and I were told by a migration agent in 2016 that my husband needed to do an English test before we started the visa process. Since then, the agent kind of dumped us so we’ve decided to try applying for the visas ourselves

As JetBlast says, the official reason for doing the test is to prove your competent, which you don't need to do if you hold a British passport.

HOWEVER, if you can pass the English test, you earn extra points.  So even though it's not compulsory, many people do it, just to get the extra points.  If your agent said your oh needed to do it, it's because you're short of points, and you don't stand a chance of migrating unless he can earn some extra points from the English test.

To be eligible to migrate, you need at least 65 points - but for most occupations, that's not enough.  We talk about a migration "queue" but actually it's not a queue, it's a competition.  The people with the most points get cherry-picked out of the queue first.    There are hundreds of new applications coming in every month.  If they have higher points, they will just keep leap-frogging over you and you'll be left languishing in the queue until your applcation expires.    For instance, in the Accountants queue, there are so many applicants with 80 points, no one with less than 80 points is even being looked at.

So you need the maximum points you can get, and you'd be wise to find out how many points are needed in your husband's occupation before you apply - if your points are too low to stand a chance, then there's no point in applying, you'll just be wasting your money. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your help. 

Looking into it more and finally finding the points calculator on the gov website it looks like we will need to have an English test to boast my husbands points up. 

Marisawright how would I find out how many points my husbands job needed? 

11 minutes ago, Loopylulucy said:

Marisawright how would I find out how many points my husbands job needed? 

How many points does he have and for what visa? At the moment they are inviting people for the 189 visa who have a minimum of 75 points. Last month is was 70 points. This page will help. It also shows you the minimum required points for some occupations. If the occupation isn't listed the minimum is 65 (it was 60 in 2016).
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/working-in-australia/skillselect/invitation-rounds

If you express an interest with 70 points everyone above you will leap frog you and get invited, if the quota isn't full they will invite people with 70 points but its a first come first served so people who expressed an interest before you will be invited first.

If you only have 65 points there is probably very little chance of a 189. However you could look at state sponsorship. The state sponsored 489 visa will give you 10 extra points and 5 extra for the 190 visa. You might want to consider this anyway even if you fo have 75 points for the 189. It will boost your chances and the invite comes straight after state nomination. Usually the state nomination process is advertised as a set time so it's more predictable when you will be invited. Each state has its own occupation list you will need to look at.

Edited by JetBlast

When we first spoke to an agent my husband was a Carpenter/Joiner and was scored 60, so we’re going to apply for a 189. We were told that we wouldn’t be accepted for a state sponsored visa because my sister lives in Queensland which at the time didn’t do that visa and a different state wouldn’t take us knowing we wanted to be in Queensland. Has this changed? 

27 minutes ago, Loopylulucy said:

We were told that we wouldn’t be accepted for a state sponsored visa because my sister lives in Queensland which at the time didn’t do that visa and a different state wouldn’t take us knowing we wanted to be in Queensland. Has this changed? 

This isn't true. I have lived in Queensland and also have family there. I got state sponsorship for South Australia and now have the visa.

Some states will reject you if you have expression of interest for more than 1 state. Victoria comes to mind. So if you do go down this route select 1 state and stick to it.

Joiner is still on the list. It is now assed by TRA. I'm a joiner and and on a 189 currently but I was assed by VETASSES, I'm sure the process is the same still. 

I can link to my journey if you wish. Also please feel free to message me if your husband wants any specific information related to the joinery part.  

3 hours ago, Loopylulucy said:

When we first spoke to an agent my husband was a Carpenter/Joiner and was scored 60, so we’re going to apply for a 189. 

I’m that case he definitely needs to take the English test before you go any further with your application. You need at least 70 points and probably 75 to stand a chance of a 189.  

5 hours ago, Loopylulucy said:

Jetblast, maybe I’m thinking of a different sponsorship? Queensland is definitely where we want to live as my sister and family are there, do they do a state sponsored 489 do you?

Sorry I am not sure what you mean?

Queensland do the state sponsorship yes.

The 189 allows you to live and work anywhere in Australia permanently.

The 489 is a 4 year visa. After you meet the visa conditions you can apply for an 887 to upgrade to what is effectively a 189 visa. With the 887 you can live and work anywhere you like permanently.

The 489 conditions are:

1 years working in a designated area in the state that sponsored you.
2 years living in a designated area in the state that sponsored you.

Designated areas of Australia: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489/designated-areas-of-australia

The 489 visa will boost you by 10 points.

Under the 489 you're not entitled to Medicare. However if you have have a British passport and lived there before Australia you are entitled to it under the reciprocal agreement.

If you're considering this get your skates on. They are changing this visa and increasing the work and live condition.

On 06/04/2019 at 23:36, Loopylulucy said:

As far as I know, you need to give your IELTS paper for the immigration purposes. Rule is same for all, weather you are British or from any other non English speaking country. 

14 hours ago, Sheral Singh said:

As far as I know, you need to give your IELTS paper for the immigration purposes. Rule is same for all, weather you are British or from any other non English speaking country. 

British citizens do not have to take the English test.  They can choose to take the test to earn extra points, though.

14 hours ago, Sheral Singh said:

That is wrong. People with passports of certain countries don't need to take the English test unless it is needed by the assessing authority or for claiming points for immigration. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2019 at 07:55, path2aus said:

That is wrong. People with passports of certain countries don't need to take the English test unless it is needed by the assessing authority or for claiming points for immigration. 

Yes there are some countries wherein they need not take the English test,  but British people do have the option for taking the English test and most of the times they need to give the test in order to proceed further with the same.