AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

While the length of time it takes to process applications is ridiculously long in anyone’s books, there is a part of me that wonders :

does it really matter?

If you are applying for citizenship, then most applicants would (I assume) be planning to commit their lives to Australia; that being an implied condition of citizenship.

Therefore if it takes 6-12 months longer than you would ideally like, what is the actual inconvenience? 

25 minutes ago, Red Rose said:

While the length of time it takes to process applications is ridiculously long in anyone’s books, there is a part of me that wonders :

does it really matter?

If you are applying for citizenship, then most applicants would (I assume) be planning to commit their lives to Australia; that being an implied condition of citizenship.

Therefore if it takes 6-12 months longer than you would ideally like, what is the actual inconvenience? 

Well in our case for instance, all of our passports are due to expire. We intend to travel in May. We've already paid and submitted a citizenship application. If we don't get the citizenship in time then we'll be forced to renew our international passports and pay for return resident visas for a family of 4, and then pay for Aussie passports when that time comes. We'll be thousands of dollars out of pocket. Hopefully my wife's ceremony is in April, but if not then $$$$

For other people there may be jobs that they want which require them to be a citizen which they miss out on.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

Well in our case for instance, all of our passports are due to expire. We intend to travel in May. We've already paid and submitted a citizenship application. If we don't get the citizenship in time then we'll be forced to renew our international passports and pay for return resident visas for a family of 4, and then pay for Aussie passports when that time comes. We'll be thousands of dollars out of pocket. Hopefully my wife's ceremony is in April, but if not then $$$$

For other people there may be jobs that they want which require them to be a citizen which they miss out on.

Fair call. 

Those are good points. 

Hello keshev do you know if the invitation comes through council or immigration. I checked wyndham does ceremony every 3 times every month so it should not 6 months.

Thanks Raaj keep us updated regards urs ceremony detail as i m and others r in the same council. Much appreciated

Dutton's department processed just 15% of citizenship applications last year
Audit office’s damning review finds home affairs department working in neither a time-efficient nor resource-efficient manner.

According to The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/feb/13/duttons-department-processed-just-15-of-citizenship-applications-last-year

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raaj1 said:

Hello keshev do you know if the invitation comes through council or immigration. I checked wyndham does ceremony every 3 times every month so it should not 6 months.

No sure mate. I just checked wyndham website which says preet much every month or twice in month they do the ceremonies.

Date Applied: 11.Feb.2018

Council: Willoughby NSW 

Email for Test Date: 15.Jan.2019

Date of Test/Interview: 13.Feb.2019

Test/Interview Location: DHO Parramatta NSW

Immi account Status Approval: 13.Feb.2019

Approval Letter: Waiting

Ceremony: Waiting 

Hi,

has anyone had any luck with getting approval after uploading a document to say you have returned from your holiday overseas? (do you think if you upload a document it sends a notification to the case officer that a new document has been added so they look at the application again?)

I called the department the day after we arrived back into Australia and they didn't ask for my application ID number or anything i was just told a generic answer 'we will know you have returned as your passport will show you are onshore'.

Sat test on 03/09/2018 and still waiting for approval even though 100% in test as told by the interviewer after i sat the test.

Just frustrating seeing  approvals from those who have just recently sat the test - some even having same day approval.

The audit report, which is publicly available online, found that the number of citizenship applications has increased by 25 per cent over the past four years, with a total of 239,413 applications lodged.

The audit report also found that the number of backlogged citizenship applications has increased by a whopping 771 per cent over the same time period.

https://startsat60.com/discover/news/politics/could-you-pass-australian-citizenship-test

4 minutes ago, ence said:

The audit report, which is publicly available online, found that the number of citizenship applications has increased by 25 per cent over the past four years, with a total of 239,413 applications lodged.

The audit report also found that the number of backlogged citizenship applications has increased by a whopping 771 per cent over the same time period.

https://startsat60.com/discover/news/politics/could-you-pass-australian-citizenship-test

yes i seen that ence

18 minutes ago, Rach Brisbane said:

Hi All, 

Update for Brisbane City Council applications:- 

Applied online- 9 March 2018

Acknowledgement by email the same day

Test appointment email received- 18 February 2019

Test scheduled for 7 March 2019

well done ! we are brisbane  but sadly no test dates yet  for us......

waiting  since 3/1/18 ....13 months and counting on ...at least we got RRV and new passports all secured  in meantime .....

fingers crossed we are in the pile somewhere in Brisbane lol

Hi Guys - I just received request for more information. They've requested birth certificate which I dont have, so they have given me an option to submit high school certificates that contains my name, DOB and at least one parent's name. I have submitted the required doc today itself on my immi account. Does any one know how long they will take to process this info and provide me a test date?

1 hour ago, shiveringpom said:

well done ! we are brisbane  but sadly no test dates yet  for us......

waiting  since 3/1/18 ....13 months and counting on ...at least we got RRV and new passports all secured  in meantime .....

fingers crossed we are in the pile somewhere in Brisbane lol

Thanks! Hope yours comes through soon! It looks like they're getting to the ones applied for at the beginning of last year now. 

1 hour ago, Rach Brisbane said:

Thanks! Hope yours comes through soon! It looks like they're getting to the ones applied for at the beginning of last year now. 

just over all our visa applications over the years ( first world problems lol) , RRV applications, getting new passports and then citizenship applications ,  uploading and signing and countersigning and all that stuff......exhausted !... so much paperwork and so many computer files and so much scanning ......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rach Brisbane said:

Hi All, 

Update for Brisbane City Council applications:- 

Applied online- 9 March 2018

Acknowledgement by email the same day

Test appointment email received- 18 February 2019

Test scheduled for 7 March 2019

Congratulation mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shiveringpom said:

just over all our visa applications over the years ( first world problems lol) , RRV applications, getting new passports and then citizenship applications ,  uploading and signing and countersigning and all that stuff......exhausted !... so much paperwork and so many computer files and so much scanning ......

Tell me about it! I've been living in Australia 8 years today and I cannot believe its taken this long. One of my friends has been here for over 8 years and due to her partner being made redundant on multiple occasions (mining jobs) still hasn't even got PR.  

Visa applications are a right pain but living here is worth it! 

Fingers crossed you get your test date soon. 

21 minutes ago, ence said:

Conferral - lodgement to decision 17 months to 21 months + Conferral -  approval to ceremony would take 5 months to 7 months

image002.jpg

Thanks. So down 3 months from the 20-25 months for conferral lodgement to ceremony from the last published processing times on 31/01/2019. Now at 20-22 months