Anxious excited mixed emotions [emoji848][emoji4][emoji23]

Nandini Millar

Last few weeks here in England and I have been going over and checking over packed things, would be nice things and so many other. Emotional over leaving families but excited to start a new life over there as well. I hope the first few months would be quite an adventure and adjusting to the new place. How was your first few weeks or months or even years. Can't wait though [emoji3]

• Like 1

I remember feeling much the same - very bittersweet.  I think it really hit me on the plane that 'this is it we're not coming back'.  We really hit the ground running,  sorting out licences, medicare, banks etc.  my husband was starting work 2 weeks after we landed and I started 4 weeks after which was a few days after the children started school - so we got into an everyday routine.

We had a short break in the October (10 months later) and I remember sitting on the beach thinking that it was the first time that I felt I'd really stood still.  

• Like 1

I remember feeling much the same - very bittersweet.  I think it really hit me on the plane that 'this is it we're not coming back'.  We really hit the ground running,  sorting out licences, medicare, banks etc.  my husband was starting work 2 weeks after we landed and I started 4 weeks after which was a few days after the children started school - so we got into an everyday routine.
We had a short break in the October (10 months later) and I remember sitting on the beach thinking that it was the first time that I felt I'd really stood still.  
I can imagine how that must have felt like. It's really start to hit us hard now that it is actually happening and we are going. It's like different levels of acceptance of reality to me now. Must be quite good that both of you got jobs soon after you landed over there. I am worried about that as well x

33 minutes ago, Nandini Millar said:
41 minutes ago, ali said:

I can imagine how that must have felt like. It's really start to hit us hard now that it is actually happening and we are going. It's like different levels of acceptance of reality to me now. Must be quite good that both of you got jobs soon after you landed over there. I am worried about that as well x

We were incredibly lucky that we both got jobs before we came (12 years ago), we're both still with those original employers lol.  The goodbyes were very difficult, not as much with family as it turned out, reflecting, this was probably because we knew we'd see everyone again - so there were tears, but we left already knowing when my dad would be visiting.  I'd worked with my colleagues for 17 years and I came home from my leaving lunch absolutely heartbroken and couldn't actually read my card for about 3 days (We'd also lost my hubby's grandma around this time who had been so excited at the move and even at 93 she'd been adamant that she'd be visiting lol).

Looking back, I think we just went with the flow, took time to explore places.  We'd been here a year when my youngest asked at dinner one night if we were still on holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nandini Millar said:

Last few weeks here in England and I have been going over and checking over packed things, would be nice things and so many other. Emotional over leaving families but excited to start a new life over there as well. I hope the first few months would be quite an adventure and adjusting to the new place. How was your first few weeks or months or even years. Can't wait though emoji3.png

The goodbyes are the worst part Nandini.  A very emotional time.  Arriving in Australia back then is a bit of a blur to be honest.  We didn't have children at that time  and I started work a few day after arriving - so did my husband.  We were in Sydney for a year then moved over to Perth.  Then after building a house there and having two babies we moved back to Sydney as Perth was going through a bit of a recession.  Things have worked out for us here in Austrslia.  Our sons are now grown men and living overseas and OH and I have retired to Tasmania.  Never a dull moment.  😃  

Let us know how you are getting on when you arrive.  

Best wishes!  🙂

• Like 1

We were incredibly lucky that we both got jobs before we came (12 years ago), we're both still with those original employers lol.  The goodbyes were very difficult, not as much with family as it turned out, reflecting, this was probably because we knew we'd see everyone again - so there were tears, but we left already knowing when my dad would be visiting.  I'd worked with my colleagues for 17 years and I came home from my leaving lunch absolutely heartbroken and couldn't actually read my card for about 3 days (We'd also lost my hubby's grandma around this time who had been so excited at the move and even at 93 she'd been adamant that she'd be visiting lol).
Looking back, I think we just went with the flow, took time to explore places.  We'd been here a year when my youngest asked at dinner one night if we were still on holiday.

That's really that you got jobs sorted so soon. That's really lucky. We have got families lined up to visit us too so we feel better. I know there will be lots of tears and I am already stressed out about that. Sorry to hear about your hubby's grandma passing as well. Must have been difficult times. She seems to be a very strong, lovely and lively person promising to visit you even though she was 93. Bless her.
Kids are so sweet and innocent. I wonder what my 2 kids would be thinking when we don't return to England. I just hope I won't cry.

3 minutes ago, Nandini Millar said:

That's really that you got jobs sorted so soon. That's really lucky. We have got families lined up to visit us too so we feel better. I know there will be lots of tears and I am already stressed out about that. Sorry to hear about your hubby's grandma passing as well. Must have been difficult times. She seems to be a very strong, lovely and lively person promising to visit you even though she was 93. Bless her.
Kids are so sweet and innocent. I wonder what my 2 kids would be thinking when we don't return to England. I just hope I won't cry.

You're bound to cry .. but it's ok.

• Like 1

The goodbyes are the worst part Nandini.  A very emotional time.  Arriving in Australia back then is a bit of a blur to be honest.  We didn't have children at that time  and I started work a few day after arriving - so did my husband.  We were in Sydney for a year then moved over to Perth.  Then after building a house there and having two babies we moved back to Sydney as Perth was going through a bit of a recession.  Things have worked out for us here in Austrslia.  Our sons are now grown men and living overseas and OH and I have retired to Tasmania.  Never a dull moment.  [emoji2]  
Let us know how you are getting on when you arrive.  
Best wishes!  [emoji846]
Yes I can imagine and the worst part is I cry easily. I will be needing paracetamol for the flight journey. I hope everything turns out to be all nice and how we hoped to be. Fingers crossed but I am quite positive that it is going to be a better life. We have planned to try Brisbane first but if needed we will check other places like Melbourne. Big phase in life. Will update you how we get on and will be needing lots of help and advice on anything I am confused or not sure. Thank you xx

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Its very reassuring reading all these posts as we are leaving 5th September this year and are just moving out of our house to sell it and holiday let it (hopefully at the same time) to get the funds ready to move. The reality is hitting us especially our twin 8 year olds who have been so excited since we started this whole process but who now say they don’t want to go!!!! 

My family live so close by and even though I want my independence from the ‘family circle’ I know I’ll feel so homesick. 

Did anyone else feel the same but now super settled or at least really confident with their emigration decision? 

It it was five years in the making for us but these last minute jitters are killing me!!!

thanks

x

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

@ali I didn't...I had an adventure to start.

And it is still going on, 56 years later.😀

Cheers, Bobj.

No, I didn't cry the first time either, nor the second, third or fourth either but when my parents got  old and I wasn't there for them, then I cried. The first few times it was an adventure, the tears started when it stopped being an adventure.

Nothing is forever if you don't want it to be! Unlike Bob, I ended up hating the place and even after a lovely holiday in  Australia last month I still can't feel that it's home. Weird but that's how it went for me. Hopefully I will be back in adventure mode when my dad pops his clogs and we depart again.

• Like 3

[mention=214264]ali[/mention] I didn't...I had an adventure to start.
And it is still going on, 56 years later.[emoji3]
Cheers, Bobj.

This is how we’ve started, we are 6 years in and I fully intend to continue, if we get to 56 glorious years of adventure here I’ll let you know [emoji6]
  • Like 2