4. Port Noarlunga, Adelaide, South Australia

5. Freshwater, Sydney, New South Wales

6. Portsea, Mornington peninsula, Victoria

7. Bondi, Sydney, New South Wales

8. Balmoral, Sydney, New South Wales

9. Port Willunga beach, Fleurieu peninsula, South Australia

10. Bronte, Sydney, New South Wales

https://soperth.com.au/perth-beaches-best-in-australia-25511

Perth metro means Yanchep to Rockingham surely? In which case, there are loads of better beaches. Just sounds like a cliched list.

We live NOR and I'm not keen on the sea here, very strong rips. Whereas, go to Rockingham and it's like a mill pond. That said, if I was going to drive to go to the beach, which we don't do often, it would be City Beach.

2 minutes ago, s713 said:

Perth metro means Yanchep to Rockingham surely? In which case, there are loads of better beaches. Just sounds like a cliched list.

We live NOR and I'm not keen on the sea here, very strong rips. Whereas, go to Rockingham and it's like a mill pond. That said, if I was going to drive to go to the beach, which we don't do often, it would be City Beach.

Oh I see what you mean.  I was thinking it meant the beach closest to the city centre proper kind of thing.  

We used to go to Cottesloe a lot when we were first living in Perth then later when we lived at Mullaloo I loved the beach there.  

Now that I'm a lot older I enjoy our little beach here at Devonport.  Today it is like a mill pond.

• Like 1

If you’re willing to travel then the Ningaloo reef is stunning, so many amazing beaches and on the way up there have a quick stop at Wedge Island, also stunning, particularly in the height of summer on a day with little wind, turquoise bliss with blindingly white sand, it’s a great day out with a picnic xxx

On Friday, February 08, 2019 at 08:21, Toots said:

Oh I see what you mean.  I was thinking it meant the beach closest to the city centre proper kind of thing.  

We used to go to Cottesloe a lot when we were first living in Perth then later when we lived at Mullaloo I loved the beach there.  

Now that I'm a lot older I enjoy our little beach here at Devonport.  Today it is like a mill pond.

Mullaloo has to be one of the nicest and safest beaches around. Looked its best at the weekend.

Early mornings are great just after the grader has been, like walking on fresh snow but a lot warmer😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

As long as it's not full of crocs or deadly stingers and you can use it, it looks great Bob.😊

No crocs that I have heard about, but how many sharks at Perth beaches? There are a few wallabies on the Cape Hillsborough Beach, so much so that a bloke  charges tourists to see the wallabies feeding!

Cheers, Bobj.

8 minutes ago, Bobj said:

No crocs that I have heard about, but how many sharks at Perth beaches? There are a few wallabies on the Cape Hillsborough Beach, so much so that a bloke  charges tourists to see the wallabies feeding!

Cheers, Bobj.

I think the shark thing is over publicised Bob. Makes the news every time one is spotted in WA but WA is a big place. 

I'm in the ocean most days, there is a big group of retirees swim every day Summer and Winter. Never seen a shark and don't want to. There was one attack on our beach a few years ago. Friend of mine on his surf ski early morning. He came out of it OK  but the shark wrecked his surf ski. He's back paddling the ski again now though. 

Still stand more chance of getting injured driving to the beach.😎

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, s713 said:

A shark closed Mullaloo at Xmas. There are shark nets at Hillarys and Quinns now, personally I'd stick to those areas.

Nasty but apparently horses and cows kill more people here than sharks.  I spend quite a bit of time with horses so I'd better watch out.  😉

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-27/sharks-snakes-crocodiles-horses-australias-most-dangerous/10534786

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, s713 said:

A shark closed Mullaloo at Xmas. There are shark nets at Hillarys and Quinns now, personally I'd stick to those areas.

I was there. Everyone had to get out of the water fair enough. Makes you smile a bit though. Helo comes over, spots a shark, lets the patrol know, alarm activated, everyone out. No one allowed in the water for a couple of hours. 

Meantime helo buzzed off, IRB hasn't seen anything, everyone back in. 

The beach was packed that day, and has been numerous times over summer. How many attacks, zero.

How often does the helo come over, not very often, he has a big coastline to cover. I believe sharks are there the whole time, they aren't going to bother anyone 99.9% of the time. I'll risk swimming where I usually do. Can't be bothered to keep going to Hillarys. Not swum in there yet as it happens. Did the watermans to wall swim last year that finishes at the shark net. Closest I've been to it.