register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Lucie1

IELTS help !

Can anyone help,

I’m trying to find if for 189 visa you can combine 2 IELTS sittings within six months like you are able to for APHRA.

I can’t find any information on this, anyone know of any ?

Thanks all

Hi Lucie

I wouldn't have thought that you could that... ive done 2 tests missing out by 0.5points both times but on different parts in each test..

I missed out on the 20 points for migration unfortunately, so I had to settle for 10.

Oh I know it’s so gutting

I had 7.5,7.5,9.0 and a 6.0 :-(

I had to do the academic test for aphra. With them I need 7 in each category. They will take it over 2 tests in 6 months so thankfully I am hoping to score over 7 in the one I need.

But really want 4 x 8.0 for extra points for visa

No. You can only submit one test. Have you considered doing one of the other tests instead of ilets as some people find them better. For points, you don't need the academic. So, you do the academic for Aphrodite, but can sit the general for points

May I suggest try sitting PTE. I tried IELTS twice for 20 pts but missed by 0.5 band in writing on both occasions. FInally I decided to give PTE a go (even though I had to fly to Dubai, because PTE does not have a set up in Pakistan) and Got 79+ score in first attempt. In my opinion, its worth a shot.

Thanks Kaleem I will have a look into this test

Do you need the points or is a 190visa an option?

18 hours ago, Lucie1 said:

I did think of doing different tests 

Hi lavers, is thinking of 190 but would still need to resit
I had 9.0, 7.5, 7.5 and 6.0 so would would need to resit for 7.0 over in each one for aphra but this will give me 10 points.
So 10 points for visa and 190 would give me 70 points

I needed the extra points for the visa 189 after taking  the ielts for Anmac, the second time I took the general instead  and managed to get what I needed x 

Good luck

Hi amber I know I’m gutted if I had got 7.0 instead of one 6.0 that would have been enough for aphra and I would have sat the general one for a second time.
But because I need 4 X 7.0 for aphra I’m going to have to redo the academic xx

Try searching for Taraneh IELTS tutor. My wife did a Skype lesson with her which really helped. Think it’s about £15. She used to mark the tests and can tweak your mindset in approaching the test. 

For what it's worth, I did PTE to bring my points up. If you register on their website you can sit a mock test (I think you can do 2 actually, £25 a pop) so you can get a feel for your level before sitting it. The Youtube channel of Australian Dream was pretty helpful.

My wife sat IELTS recently, and found the experience a little odd.

Planning to land in Brisbane August 2019 🤸‍♂️

[ANZSCO: 261311 - Analyst Programmer]  [189: Lodged: 11/09/18, Granted: 23/01/19] [Points: 75]  [Medicals: 20/10/18]  [EOI: Lodged: 18/05/18, Invited: 10/08/18)]  [ACS: Applied: 23/03/18, Granted 17/05/18]  [PTE: 90 (29/03/18)] 

IELTS is unreasonably difficult because of the writing section is stupid, luck based (if you get something you can talk about), can be heavily biased if you get something you can't relate to, and has some highly subjective marking criteria.

PTE is unreasonably easy... already too many people brute force their way past IELTS, getting 20 points with actual English ability so low they are professionally unemployable.

Both are crap, but if you want points, take PTE.

It’s was the writing test I got 6.0 on and to be honest I thought I done really well in that section.

1 hour ago, Lucie1 said:

It’s was the writing test I got 6.0 on and to be honest I thought I done really well in that section.

Did

• Like 1

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

So many are hating on the writing part of IELTS when in my case it was my strength and reading my weakness😅 anyway,do try to take PTE. Also, if you're going to spend $$ for review, I suggest you do it with E2Language (but you can use free materials online too). Search in youtube, a very popular teacher named Jay(from E2) got me through both IELTS and PTE, I watched all his free videos. It's a case to case basis for both exams, but in my experience, I got 7 speaking in IELTS but miraculously 90 in PTE.