IELTS help !

Lucie1

Lucie I got all 8s or higher but a 7.5 at speaking on my first go (only been speaking English 30 odd years)

My second test was 8s and above but a 7.5 in the writing, for my writing that time is was commenting on whether I agree with someone saying that kids should only read educational material rather than non educational. That was the main question and I think I woffled poo for it haha.

My point being is if you felt comfortable with ielts then your probably better sticking with that and hope that it's a question which you can answer easier.

Personally I tried a few questions on the pte and it didn't seem to suit.

On 18/02/2019 at 02:22, Lucie1 said:

Thanks all, same her to be honest I think I’ll be sticking to IELTS

Hi Lucie, 

I know what you're going through, I had to sit ielts 4 times to get the desired score for AHPRA. Now when I'm RN in Australia, I was still missing points for EOI (they've changed it last year when I was in the process) so I tried PTE as everyone was recommending them. I spend about 3 weeks learning the strategies and techniques and guys what? I scored 90/90/85/85 on the first attempt! I wish I knew this before, AHPRA also accepts PTE so if I knew I would have done it so much earlier. It's just a thing with ielts, they won't let you pass! Go for PTE, seriously! 

Hi Lucie, 

I was also in the same situation, I sat IELTS and didn't get my desired result of 8 out of 9 in each section. I then went on to do the PTE and got over 79 out of 91 in each section. 

I watched youtubes from E2Language

https://www.e2language.com. Jay was very helpful and is one of the teachers. He gives excellent tips, I then sat three mock exams and I scored higher in the real test. 

The PTE is also difficult but it is easier to gain higher marks. I totally messed up the writing but stuck to the method advised on E2 language, similar with describe the images. It doesn't matter if you describe the graphs wrong, as long as you have oral fluency. This is all explained on e2 language, which is free to access on youtube. Hope this helps. I've lodged my application to ANMAC so waiting on that. 

Rebecca 

Hey Rifka, happy to heard about your achievement in ielts. I have been going through same scenario but not finding myself improved at any level.  Most of issues i have in spoken English. I have good knowledge of written English and reading too. Please help me if there is any way to get myself one level up in speaking English.

1 hour ago, Orosci49 said:

Hey Rifka, happy to heard about your achievement in ielts. I have been going through same scenario but not finding myself improved at any level.  Most of issues i have in spoken English. I have good knowledge of written English and reading too. Please help me if there is any way to get myself one level up in speaking English.

Hi Orosci, i gave IELTS and got 8/9 in all sections except speaking. Then i gave PTE 4 times & achieved 86/89 in each section. I think speaking test in IELTs is little intimidating & dependant on the the person sitting in front of you & about his/ her perception about you. My speaking test was taken by an old lady who seems to be very angry & frustrated. This can be just my thought but i found speaking in PTE better. With little practice you can crack it & get great results.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucie, I did the IELTS twice, needing superior for the 20 points. Each time I got 9,9,7, 8.5 which left me with 10 points. I sat the PTE and found it really difficult, I didn't even finish it I found it that uncomfortable. I resat the IELTS and got 9,9,7.5,8.5 which was still short. I did a bit of research and found instances of people appealing when they only needed a half mark on the writing to get them to superior. I decided to try it and look and behold got marked up to 8 on the writing which was the difference of me getting my visa invitation or not. My advice would be to not give up and consider appealing your result if a half mark will make all the difference to you. All the best,

James

You can't combine 2 IELTS exam for scoring more points in the immigration process. You have 3 solutions out here, either you prepare well and score the requisite points in your IELTS exam or give PTE exam and take part in the process or lastly give both exams and dive into the process via any of the exams you score better in.