Dog friendly?

Vicky87

Hi all

Just wondering, how dog friendly is it in Australia? Perth in particular.. I read on here it's not really? We take our dog whenever we can as he suffers from separation anxiety. Will we struggle taking him places or if everything is outdoors is it OK to take him with? I'm starting to worry about him on the whole journey too so if anyone can advise on nervous dogs and how they seemed I'd appreciate it loads! 

I would think the heat would be more of an issue than anything. Pavements are roasting.

You can sit outside cafes and things with them, but can’t take them in shops and restaurants as a rule. I was in Melbourne not Perth though, so others might know different.

I flew my big ‘ol mummy’s boy cat back to the UK in June and he was a bit ropey, but has recovered well. Your vet is probably the best person to discuss the travelling with or if you haven’t got a shipper yet then maybe speak to @BobPetairUK   about the process, he is a vet who ships animals.

Good luck.

Thanks Amber - I forgot about roads and pavements being hot. It was pretty bad during the heatwave here and I guess it would be similar for longer there. On the plus he was knackered more so didn't as much exercise lol

I have asked the vet and in contact with pet Air, they said they will put relaxing smelly things in the crate but he'll be nervous and 'aggressive' around other dogs at quarantine due to fear so worried about that too

My mum said she would have him but also said she would visit 3 months of the year?! I don't know how I feel about leaving him, but want what's best for him.! 

1 hour ago, Vicky87 said:

Thanks Amber - I forgot about roads and pavements being hot. It was pretty bad during the heatwave here and I guess it would be similar for longer there. On the plus he was knackered more so didn't as much exercise lol

I have asked the vet and in contact with pet Air, they said they will put relaxing smelly things in the crate but he'll be nervous and 'aggressive' around other dogs at quarantine due to fear so worried about that too

My mum said she would have him but also said she would visit 3 months of the year?! I don't know how I feel about leaving him, but want what's best for him.! 

It’s hard when they have this anxiety because it will limit you in the day as to what you can do. Early and late are usually ok for a walk but you can’t take him in the car and leave him when it’s hot and taking him out with you is also cruel in the heat. Although you do see people walking their dogs in ridiculous temperatures. Makes me mad! 

Do you stay with him all the time in the UK? How do you do your groceries etc? Or do you do a tag team with someone staying with him?

Maybe the pheromones will help him. You can start them at home if you discuss it with petair. They might continue to help him once you settle in your new house. 

Quarantine will deal with him if they are aware, they don’t mix the dogs so can probably “isolate“ him a bit further I would have thought. Don’t know what the new place looks like.

I have never been to Perth so don’t know the day to day heat/atmosphere cycle. @VERYSTORMY  was in WA and has a little dog who is always with his wife. Maybe he can jump in here and offer some insights. Thanks VS! 

There are off lead areas around many of the parks in Victoria but quite frankly I wouldn't have a dog these days- too many rules and regs. Our dogs were always allowed to roam free and they were happy lovely dogs , obedient when they needed to be.  These days things seem a lot different and there are a lot of frustrated pooches around that don't get enough exercise.  That is why people get bitten I think. I hold a minority view on this, though.

• Like 2

You'll find Australia has a lot more restrictions around dogs compared to Europe. Cafe's are becoming more dog friendly as long as you sit outside but dogs aren't allowed in hotels, restaurants, on public transport or in National Parks. There is more dog friendly holiday accomodation around these days but they will sometimes stipulate the dog has to be outside. Most public spaces you can take them on a lead and there are some specified dog beaches.

Another thing to remember is that for half of the year it is too hot to leave a dog in the car while you pop into the shops, so they need to be left at home. However, there are still plenty of dog owners here so it's not all bad.

It's ridiculous that they closed the quarantine facilities in Perth, another added stress in the whole process. Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

That's a good idea getting pheromones while still here, might make him less anxious when we do go out . We do leave him but try to limit to around 3 hours at most a day. I'm probably worrying more than necessary and he would be fine whatever we decide, but this is by far the hardest decision! 

I didn't realise you had to go to a specific park to let them off lead - I figured it would be like the UK and you can go anywhere. 🙈  I don't find it that friendly around here (South Wales) so concerning it is potentially worse there.. 

Thanks for all the information, we've got some time to think before starting the process so have to discuss how everything would work for both options and go from there 

How old is he and is he a high exercise need dog? Depending where you are there are generally foot paths and parks etc you can walk along with him. I had an extender lead for my terrier and she scooted around on that. Once she got used to the restricted length and stopped throttling herself, which didn’t take long, she was fine. 😁

As for the journey and quarantine only you will know tbh. But if you do bring him he’ll be fine I’m sure. There are lots of dogs all over Australia most of them cared for and doing fine, you’ll work it out, just different rules and restrictions. If you are able to move your routine around to accommodate walks in the cooler times of the day, he can be left for short periods, don’t see too much of an issue.

Best of luck.

He's 3.5 and only needs about an hour of exercise a day. Definitely doable with the routine we have, it's more about what work we find and the commute time, and activities with children on the weekend

That's Probably it - maybe ask my mum initially so we can get settled and figure out whether he would be ok and decide then.. 

Thanks all 😊👍

• Like 1

The weather was half decent last weekend and 1 of my dogs (smaller) was feeling it already. The both of them hate the summer, sleep all day. I leave the a/c on for them when I go out. Obvs, they don't want to go walking or driving or sitting under a table either.

As has been said, they can't go in shops, public transport, even National Parks. Usually, the bit of the pub you can go is the crap bit, there are some exceptions mind. Anyone ever been the Endeavour Tavern in Lancelin?

When I didn't have a dog I kind of thought dogs had more rights than people. Now I have a couple of dogs, there are too many restrictions really.

Thanks all, sorry I've been having problems trying to reply! 

I think we'll see if we can leave him with someone temporarily while we get settled and suss it out, I'm not sure how I'd feel permanently leaving him but if we're there I should get an idea what might be best for him. If he will have more walks and a better life in the UK with someone I trust I may have to consider this 😥

• 3 weeks later...

We found Perth to be not very dog friendly. There is one “dog cafe” that we went to a few times with our dog. You have to be careful walking in the bush etc at particular times of the year too because of snakes etc. We have found the U.K. to be much more welcoming to dogs since we have been back, she goes most places with us with no problems.  

There's no doubt that the UK is more dog friendly in terms of them going into pubs and cafes.  Bit like kids really, as long as they are well behaved - no problem at all but not everybody likes dogs and probably don't care much for them in those places.

We have had 3 dogs in our life here.  All rescue dogs.  The previous two lived long lives with no snake bites.  The labrador was nearly 13 when she died and the cattle dog was 16.  Our current dog a Jack Russell x Staffie is a hunter so we do have to be careful in the summer as he loves rootling around in bushes but there are loads of places he can run for miles off the lead - beaches and large grassy areas where the grass is kept short.  Of course there is always a risk but I wouldn't let it put migrants off bringing their dogs over here. 

You're making me nervous again 😣 lol. We've just had his passport and rabies done to give us options on time frame, we're hoping to head out in June so he could come shortly after us or later. Give everyone chance go adapt to the climate.. I think I'll need some calming tablets throughout his journey as well as my own! X

2 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

You're making me nervous again 😣 lol. We've just had his passport and rabies done to give us options on time frame, we're hoping to head out in June so he could come shortly after us or later. Give everyone chance go adapt to the climate.. I think I'll need some calming tablets throughout his journey as well as my own! X

I thought of your dog (separation anxiety) this evening as I watched the ferry leave here for Melbourne.  I could hear a dog barking as the ferry went down the river and it was still barking as the ferry disappeared on its way into the Bass Strait.  It was probably in a crate for the journey whilst the owners were above somewhere else on the ferry.  Hope it settled down and doesn't keep everyone on board awake into the night - 9.5 hour trip.

9 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

You will be surprised how well they travel and adapt. It always amazes me. We moved ours the other way - Perth to UK. He is tiny and NEVER leaves my wife's company. But, he landed and was mainly just hungry, oh, and jet lagged - there a bit funny for a few days with jet lag. We were worried about him adapting, particularly as we are in Scotland now, but no issues at all. He plays in the snow and even on the most wet winters days he runs around with his happy face on. 

• Thanks 1

That is a big difference in climate!

Glad he was OK and settled in his new life, its good to know mine isn't the only one who is with company most of the time and its good to hear yours was fine when he arrived 👍 i bet the welcome you received was lovely...! 

6 hours ago, Vicky87 said:

That is a big difference in climate!

Glad he was OK and settled in his new life, its good to know mine isn't the only one who is with company most of the time and its good to hear yours was fine when he arrived 👍 i bet the welcome you received was lovely...! 

Yep, though he had been tarting himself with the staff at Heathrow - no quarantine coming this way. I will always remember siting in the ARC and eventually they came and asked for his lead. Then a chap comes out carrying him and said sorry, I didn't use the lead as I just wanted one more cuddle.