High Points for 489/190 - South Australia

Slightly off topic, but for those of us who are hoping to get 489’s in the next few weeks/months, how worried are you that the door to permanent residence (887) will be closed when our time comes?

It’s not something I’ve considered up until now. However, someone replied to another post the other day and it got me thinking. They suggested those of us on 489’s should plan accordingly meaning the rug could be pulled from under our feet.

How likely is this scenario?

Edited by Jonno1981

No one can really give the likelihood of this unless it is something that is actively being discussed in government etc.

However, SA is crying out for more immigration and they want permanent residents to be staying in Adelaide. The reason SA loves the 489 is that is ties you to SA for at least 2 years (plus 887 processing time) and by that time they would hope you've settled and want to stay there permanently instead of just getting the 887 and moving to Melbourne or Sydney.

I can't see any reason why SA would want to stop the 887, as it would mean all these lovely new people they've got on their 489 visas would end up leaving after the 4 years. Melbourne and Sydney are happy to accept temp residents as they've got population problems, but Adelaide wants as many skilled permanent residents as possible. 

If for whatever reason, the 887 was removed, they would replace it with another pathway to permanent residency. Remember the 489 is a provisional visa, not permanent, but not strictly temporary either. When we get our medicals done on Monday we have to get the permanent medicals done, not the temporary medicals, because the 489 is a pathway to permanency. I can't see any reason they'd change that.

That's just my take on it though, but all the news that I've heard coming out of SA backs it up. Do you have details of the other post where this is mentioned?

• Like 1

I don't think 887 will go. For the government the 489 is the best of the 3 skilled visas. Applicants have to prove they have met their obligations unlike the 190 where people have been doing what they want. With the 489 > 887 route the government have a lot more control. As well as that the 489 is the only visa that forces people into the rural areas that they are trying to develop. They are not going to ruin the 489 visa by scrapping the 887.

If things are to change I would predict that:

1. The 190 will be scrapped in favour of the 489 > 887 route.
2. Points increase on the 189.

There is a possibility that the 887 2 year requirement may increase.

Edited by JetBlast
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

I don't think 887 will go. For the government the 489 is the best of the 3 skilled visas. Applicants have to prove they have met their obligations unlike the 190 where people have been doing what they want. With the 489 > 887 route the government have a lot more control. As well as that the 489 is the only visa that forces people into the rural areas that they are trying to develop. They are not going to ruin the 489 visa by scrapping the 887.

If things are to change I would predict that:

1. The 190 will be scrapped in favour of the 489 > 887 route.
2. Points increase on the 189.

There is a possibility that the 887 2 year requirement may increase.

I agree with you, Most likely they will remove the 190 visa. I remember reading it somewhere in news that they are thinking of visa, where people have to live in particular region for at least 5 years

16 minutes ago, Jonno1981 said:

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/204636-moving-to-oz-question-489-related/

This is the post I was referring to. Marisawright, Thursday at 0800 is the post.

I’m sure you guys are correct and we have nothing to worry about. 

I was only echoing what an agent said. There are no rumours about the 489 but the fact remains it is provisional not permanent. There are no guarantees. The option to transition is very unlikely to disappear but what if the requirements change? With the current anti immigration feeling in the government, I wouldn’t bank on anything 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JetBlast said:

Got an email this morning....

..... VISA GRANTED!! 

Wooo!!!

Thanks for everyone on this thread for the conversation, support and motivation!

Wow that is great news, congratulations!!!

Hopefully it won’t be much longer now for the rest of us.

• Like 1

Congrats JetBlast, thats fantastic news, when do you think you'll make the move?
Thanks very much.

Not sure yet. I had an infection on my eye lid last year. It left behind a lesion that needs removing. I am on a waiting list for an op to have that fixed. At the moment that's a big influence on the moving time.

Thanks very much.

Not sure yet. I had an infection on my eye lid last year. It left behind a lesion that needs removing. I am on a waiting list for an op to have that fixed. At the moment that's a big influence on the moving time.
and there I was thinking you were buying the beers for henley beach [emoji23]

Fingers crossed your eye gets sorted soon, hopefully everyone else starts hearing back soon too.

we are 45 days in and no contact yet, hoping for a direct grant out of the blue, but we'll be happy with a visa at any time, even if we have to wait for it [emoji41]

16 hours ago, JetBlast said:

Anything to get out of buying a round 🤣

My grant game in on 80 days exactly if thats any use? I didn't have any contact just a grant.

17 hours ago, JetBlast said:

..... VISA GRANTED!! 

Wooo!!!

Thanks for everyone on this thread for the conversation, support and motivation!

Congrats ,good luck for your future

Edited by gurinder kaur
  • Like 1

On 12/01/2019 at 13:11, JetBlast said:

..... VISA GRANTED!! 

Wooo!!!

Congratulations!

Now you have visa, can I ask if there is a date stated which you have to enter Oz by ?

• Like 1