Moving to Oz question - 489 related

Dan.S

Hi gang,

We've been granted the 489 visas (SA sponsored) and we have all intentions to live and work in Adelaide for at least 2 years, however here's my concern:

I have relatives in Melbourne and I've already purchased the flights with Melbourne as destination. We only plan to stay there for a week or two until we find a suitable renting place in Adelaide. Could this be an issue with authorities? 

Thanks.

Edited by Dan.S

I am in a similar situation. When I get my visa granted I plan to do the same thing with relatives in Brisbane.

From what I understand they may ask you about it but it won't be a problem. Many flights are connecting flights anyway. It isn't always possible to get direct flights so it shouldn't be unusual. This info came from a migration agent.

I do wonder what to tick on the landing card on a 489. Do you tick "Migrating permanently to Australia" ?
A copy of the card can be seen here - https://www.umfulana.de/media/downloads/australien_einreiseformular.pdf

Edited by JetBlast

8 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I thought that but the 489 isn't a temporary visa, it is a provisional (as described on the immigration website). Anyway I don't want to hijack the thread 🙂

On my form 80, I originally ticked “no” to “Are you applying for a temporary visa?” as I thought the 489 provisional does lead onto 887 permanent, plus my intention is to stay in Australia permanently. 

My migration agent corrected me and changed it to “yes” as a 489 is considered temporary in this regard.

B4 would be my selection also.

Edited by Jonno1981

9 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I thought that but the 489 isn't a temporary visa, it is a provisional (as described on the immigration website). Anyway I don't want to hijack the thread 🙂

Take another look at the Home Affairs website. The 489 is a temporary visa, because it doesn't give you the right to live permanently in Australia. It says so here:

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489

Also notice it says "If you get this visa, you might be able to apply for the Skilled Regional (Permanent) visa (subclass 887)".  I(t's not guaranteed.  You need to meet all the criteria for the 887 - and the rules could change before you're eligible, in which case you'll miss out. So it would be wise to plan your life accordingly. 

Edited by Marisawright

For the landing card you say migrating permanently. As it says it is a provisional visa not a temporary one, you take the medical required for a PR visa not a temp one after all.  This is what we were advised when arriving on a provisional business visa a few years ago and the requirements for PR after that are tougher than the 489.

As for arriving visa another state, that is fine provided you settle in the sponsoring state for the required time and communicate as required with the state.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

For the landing card you say migrating permanently. As it says it is a provisional visa not a temporary one, you take the medical required for a PR visa not a temp one after all.  This is what we were advised when arriving on a provisional business visa a few years ago and the requirements for PR after that are tougher than the 489.

Is it possible the skilled and business visas are different?  If you look at that link I gave, it clearly states, "This is a temporary visa"  - not once but twice!

You'll also notice someone said their agent told them to put "temporary".

Edited by Marisawright

If an agent said so then go with that. Interesting that for some things the 489 isn’t classed with temporary visas, states don’t charge for education for example and you need to do a full medical.  It is a bit confusing. 

It is actually called skilled regional (provisional) visa 489 after all.

Edited by rammygirl

On 03/01/2019 at 18:21, rammygirl said:

If an agent said so then go with that. Interesting that for some things the 489 isn’t classed with temporary visas, states don’t charge for education for example and you need to do a full medical.  It is a bit confusing. 

It is actually called skilled regional (provisional) visa 489 after all.

The Department of Immigration says that too, if you look at the link I posted earlier.    It clearly says "This is a temporary visa"- twice!

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-regional-provisional-489

It also says, "If you get this visa, you might be able to apply for the Skilled Regional (Permanent) visa (subclass 887).

Sounds crystal clear to me - it's a temporary visa, with no guarantee you'll be able to transition.  The fact that it has some differences compared to the employer-sponsored temp visas, is neither here nor there IMO.

Edited by Marisawright

On 09/01/2019 at 19:12, Marisawright said:

The Department of Immigration says that too, if you look at the link I posted earlier.    It clearly says "This is a temporary visa"- twice!

It also says, "If you get this visa, you might be able to apply for the Skilled Regional (Permanent) visa (subclass 887).

Sounds crystal clear to me - it's a temporary visa, with no guarantee you'll be able to transition.  The fact that it has some differences compared to the employer-sponsored temp visas, is neither here nor there IMO.

You are correct, its a temporary visa. I checked with University of Sydney and been told i have to pay full fee if i am on 489 visa. Students are only eligible for domestic and CSP places if they hold permanent visa. And another example is 489 visa holders are not eligible for medicare