A month in Oz Where would you go?

Leighbee98

Hello all

So Wifey has agreed to my plan of a month in OZ

For those that dont know we have started the permanent visa process but have never actually visited. So we thought February in OZ would be a good starting place.

We would like to spend a couple of nights in Singapore visiting friends then the rest is TBD, we have a 2 year old with us so that/it/her needs to be considered.

Ultimately we fancy the warm lifestyle, if we can emigrate all year round so a trip to Queensland is certainly on the cards (it was 29 here in the UK today and the misses said... "im a bit chilly" I admit it was 8pm!!)

Where would you go/suggest? ... so far we thought London to Singapore...to Sydney...to Brisbane... home..  What about Newcastle, Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Sunshine coast? any dream spots?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

Hello all

For those that dont know we have started the permanent visa process but have never actually visited. So we thought February in OZ would be a good starting place.

We would like to spend a couple of nights in Singapore visiting friends then the rest is TBD, we have a 2 year old with us so that/it/her needs to be considered.

Ultimately we fancy the warm lifestyle, if we can emigrate all year round so a trip to Queensland is certainly on the cards (it was 29 here in the UK today and the misses said... "im a bit chilly" I admit it was 8pm!!)

Where would you go/suggest? ... so far we thought London to Singapore...to Sydney...to Brisbane... home..  What about Newcastle, Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Sunshine coast? any dream spots?

Is this a pure holiday or are you reccying jobs, suburbs, schools etc?  Plenty of holiday options in your list.  I am in the Redlands between Brisbane and Gold Coast.  Love living here but would not recommend as a holiday destination.  Bear in mind that February is probably the worst month in Queensland for the heat, humidity and rain for getting around.

• Like 1

It’s got to be 50/50 holiday and reccy 

we would like to see the worst of the weather  just to see if we can handle the heat rain etc. 

It would be good to see if there are any small local IT firms about see if any fancy a volunteer when we move.

very much like to see places we could live and reccy the commute to work (places of work) schools etc

1 hour ago, Leighbee98 said:

It’s got to be 50/50 holiday and reccy 

we would like to see the worst of the weather  just to see if we can handle the heat rain etc. 

It would be good to see if there are any small local IT firms about see if any fancy a volunteer when we move.

very much like to see places we could live and reccy the commute to work (places of work) schools etc

Not trying to criticise your idea.....but in order to recce stuff like commutes, schools and work you would be far better off choosing an area first otherwise you are taking on too big a task.

We did a recce that focussed on the south side of Brisbane down to the Gold Coast and even then found it was a challenge - albeit we only had 10 days here (though the only holiday day was a trip to Australia Zoo - our daughter was 10 at the time).

My point is that if places which are the best to visit as a tourist may not be the best places to live and vice versa so you might end up finding the trip misleading.

I had been to Australia on holiday (2004) visited Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.  Had a great holiday but, strangely, never at that time viewed it as a destination to live.  My holiday was just that, a holiday, and I really think it gave me no real idea what it was like to live here.

You have a month so plenty of time to be a tourist and do a recce but my advice would be to decide in advance which place you want to recce and which places you want to visit as a tourist otherwise you might end up with a crap holiday and none the wiser where you might care to live.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

Hey Bob  do you have any recommendations for locations/hotels on the whitsundays. (we have a 2 year old and id like to see fishes)

I don’t know where Bobj would recommend but Heron Island is brilliant. You can snorkel straight off the beach and see fish etc. My favourite thing though is you can see baby turtles hatching but you would need to check if they are hatching at the time of year you are going.

3ABDA3A0-F1D0-4C1D-8AAA-B7736DE794D9.jpeg

E1E8A18C-5033-4119-9819-2A38BD690967.jpeg

96822467-C4FD-4607-B5F1-417644ADCAB4.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leighbee98 said:

Hey Bob  do you have any recommendations for locations/hotels on the whitsundays. (we have a 2 year old and id like to see fishes)

G'day mate, have a squiz at this link;

https://www.experienceoz.com.au/en/which-island-whitsundays

Sadly, Cyclone Debbie smashed the area and most of the islands suffered a great deal of damage, including my favourite, Daydream Island. But the island is to open up later this year.

Personally, I would look at spending time on the mainland (Airlie Beach) and taking boat-rides. Or, going to Cape Hillsborough and staying there.

https://capehillsboroughresort.com.au/

At the Redcliffe Islands (Seaforth) you can get out of your car and walk to some pretty good reef about 500 yards from the car...when the tide is out...And, there is accomodation in Seaforth and cheap...

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g3961447-d3870377-i90229872-Seaforth_Holiday_Units-Seaforth_Queensland.html

https://beachsafe.org.au/beach/qld/mackay/seaforth/finlayson-point

Cape Hillsborough and Seaforth are about 50 km NW of Mackay.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bobj said:

G'day mate, have a squiz at this link;

https://www.experienceoz.com.au/en/which-island-whitsundays

Sadly, Cyclone Debbie smashed the area and most of the islands suffered a great deal of damage, including my favourite, Daydream Island. But the island is to open up later this year.

Personally, I would look at spending time on the mainland (Airlie Beach) and taking boat-rides. Or, going to Cape Hillsborough and staying there.

https://capehillsboroughresort.com.au/

At the Redcliffe Islands (Seaforth) you can get out of your car and walk to some pretty good reef about 500 yards from the car...when the tide is out...And, there is accomodation in Seaforth and cheap...

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g3961447-d3870377-i90229872-Seaforth_Holiday_Units-Seaforth_Queensland.html

https://beachsafe.org.au/beach/qld/mackay/seaforth/finlayson-point

Cape Hillsborough and Seaforth are about 50 km NW of Mackay.

Cheers, Bobj.

Thanks Bobj

Ill go though all this info asap. Very very helpful thank you

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Leighbee98 you haven’t enough time lol. I could spend days, weeks, Years writing places for you to visit lol. 

‘I do understand what @Gbye grey sky is saying you are going to have to narrow it down. You could spend 2 months just having a reccie around Brissy and still miss lots of things. 

‘I’m really trying to think what would be your best plan. You see if you were moving to Brisbane then I’d say have a week on Whit Sundays/Airlie Beach, 10 days in and around Brisbane and the remainder in Sydney, but if you are wanting to do some work experience and find a Suburb as well it’s going to be a struggle. I wish the drs hadn’t taken my driving license off me as I’d have taken you around for a week showing you Brisbane Suburbs Whit Sunday’s etc.

Anyway we have until February to get you some kind of plan, I should only needs a few good nights sleep lol.

Have you any ideas at all where you want to settle. I’m sure we have chatted before, maybe I can go and have a peak at your past posts. 

Sunshine Coast is an hour 15 from central Brisbane with all its attractions, on a clear run. Personally Mooloolaba would be preferable for a 2 year old. rather than Noosa, it’s a bit more seasidey, Great beach, but crowded at weekends in the peak season. Attractions are the Australia Zoo, Underwater World , The Ginger Factory which he/she would really enjoy. There is also a lady who does tame parrot shows near the zoo, but check if it’s still happening. Free bbq’s by the beach  plenty of food outlets and La Balsa Park on the other side of the river is a nice grassy area with swings etc. shade and free bbq’s. Most accomodation seems to be self catering. My family stayed at the Beachcomber? I think and loved it.

Moreton Island near Brisbane, if you stay overnight you can hand feed the wild dolphins.

Whitsundays are lovely, but would need to fly there, not sure if they have all recovered, Daydream Island is also my favourite, prefer it to Heron, but all the islands would be limited in wet weather, plus might be a rough sea ride to get there. Airlie Beach is a bit full of backpackers. 

Thats all I can think of at the moment, but wherever you end up have a great time.

On 26/06/2018 at 05:43, Leighbee98 said:

Hello all

. so far we thought London to Singapore...to Sydney...to Brisbane... home..  What about Newcastle, Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Sunshine coast? any dream spots?

It's easy for us to mention iconic sights and great holiday places, but if you move to Australia, you're going to have the rest of your life to visit them - so why use up your precious research time doing it on this visit?   

Let's say you are thinking of Brisbane and Melbourne - a month is only two weeks in each, which is barely enough time to visit different suburbs, inspect houses to get an idea of prices, visit recruitment agencies to suss out job opportunities and also have time to experience what day to day living would be like (which is important).   You might say, "I don't want to spend all that money and not get a holiday", - but equally, you don't want to spend all that money and either

(a) come back with no clear idea where to settle or

(b) come back with rosy memories of Australia based on the holiday part of your trip, emigrate and then discover the reality of daily life is nothing like the holiday.

Why has it got to be 50/50 holiday?  Is the oh not keen to migrate?

Edited by Marisawright

Well it's booked

We fly to singapore, two nights there visiting friends and showing Sarah the sights (ive spent some time in singapore working in the past). After that we are off to Sydney for 4 nights, a few day trips from there and see what the city is like.

We fly up to the Goldcoast after that, we did contemplate driving but with a two year old we decided it would be better to fly this time. Couple of nights there then on to Brisbane. After a week in Brissy we are off to the sunshine coast noosa Heads, then Hamilton island in the Whit Sundays. Id like to Scuba Dive a bit as I have my PADI open water certificate but not dived in a while, Im not sure if thats becase i saw my self with a wet suit on.... think michilin man!!!

We come back to Brisbane staying in an air bnb in Tenerife for a few more days before heading back to Singapore, another couple of days there to break the flight up.

All in all id say this is more a holiday than a reccie, we can come back later on and bring some help in way of super Nannie for the propper reccie (although if/when we move im sure we will really learn what its like)

We choose a big holiday because January is mad for accountants whilst we try to encourange customers to get thier books in to us beforehand there are always a few that leave it to the last minute, then we have new customers who have been let down. January is a month of long days and nights working...come Febuary chill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

In Victoria the Mornington Peninsula is the 3rd top tourist destination. Wineries in Red hill, exploring Point Nepean and the best beaches in Sorrento, Mt Eliza and Flinders. The back beaches are also popular in Blairgowrie and Sorrento. Mornington is the central hub of the area and offers popular shops and everything you need. The Pillars at Mt Martha is also a very popular sight to see. Even the quieter areas such as Somers and Shoreham have become really popular as of late and are really cute. The esplanade and Nepean highway are the most ideal routes to take along the area. However, the Mornington Peninsula Link can get you there faster. Here are some pictures. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.23.34 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 7.27.54 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 2.02.13 am.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bayside said:

In Victoria the Mornington Peninsula is the 3rd top tourist destination. Wineries in Red hill, exploring Point Nepean and the best beaches in Sorrento, Mt Eliza and Flinders. The back beaches are also popular in Blairgowrie and Sorrento. Mornington is the central hub of the area and offers popular shops and everything you need. The Pillars at Mt Martha is also a very popular sight to see. Even the quieter areas such as Somers and Shoreham have become really popular as of late and are really cute. The esplanade and Nepean highway are the most ideal routes to take along the area. However, the Mornington Peninsula Link can get you there faster. Here are some pictures. 

Edited by Leighbee98