Brisbane

Happybunny44

I have a job in Caboolture to start later this year. I’m aware it isn’t a great area to live in so I’m looking at living in Brisbane and commuting there. I’m a single female going over alone so want to live somewhere lively with things to do and people to meet. Any suggestions on areas of Brisbane and rough estimates on commute time? I drive and would start at 7.30 am so would hopefully miss some rush hour traffic....?

The journey from Mooloolaba to central Brisbane on a clear run is 1 hr 15 mins, has never taken more than 2 hrs unless a bad accident. Caboolture is 30 mins nearer to Brisbane and the OP will actually be driving the opposite way to the heavy rush hour traffic, which is Brisbane bound.

Commuters heading for Brisbane do leave very early, as the traffic starts to build up from about 6/6.30" and the rush back anytime from around 4/4.30.

The main hold up is North Lakes, lots of new housing, and cars joining an already busy road.

Thanks for the help. I did google maps it and it said around 50 mins but I never really trust this. I’ve heard the traffic is horrific into Brisbane, which is understandable, but I wondered how it was going out of Brisbane and in central Brisbane generally?Also, how much do the toll roads cost there?

8 minutes ago, Happybunny44 said:

Thanks for the help. I did google maps it and it said around 50 mins but I never really trust this. I’ve heard the traffic is horrific into Brisbane, which is understandable, but I wondered how it was going out of Brisbane and in central Brisbane generally?Also, how much do the toll roads cost there?

It's all relative. Where do you live in the UK?   People talk about Melbourne or Sydney traffic being horrendous, but it all pales into insignificance compared to most of the South of England.

• Like 1

Not dooable I'm afraid as there's not much life in the northern burbs other than Chermside area. If you want to live in the city which is very lively, you'd be stuck with the commute. An outer suburb such as I am in (Bracken Ridge) has a half hourly train service from bald hills station and a 15 min bus service to the city and you are never more than a few minutes walk from a bus stop. The train takes 30 minutes to city  No bus to caboolture but the same train that will. get you into the city in 30 mins, will also get you to caboolture in the same time

Edited by Johndoe

I live in London at the minute. I’m happy with a commute of 45 mins average and I can start work from 7am so could do an earlier start to avoid traffic. I’m very conscious of being vaguely young, single and stuck on my own in the middle of nowhere! I’ve also got the option of working in Victoria point, any idea how the traffic would be across the city?

1 hour ago, Happybunny44 said:

I live in London at the minute. I’m happy with a commute of 45 mins average and I can start work from 7am so could do an earlier start to avoid traffic. I’m very conscious of being vaguely young, single and stuck on my own in the middle of nowhere! I’ve also got the option of working in Victoria point, any idea how the traffic would be across the city?

Working in Victoria Point and living in Brisbane!  Doubt there is anyone doing that so you would be going against the traffic for sure.  Look at southside suburbs if working in Victoria Point - most would be less than a 45 minute commute in that direction.

7 hours ago, Happybunny44 said:

For Vicky Point you could look back up the bay to Cleveland (end of railway line) and Wellington Point, if not up as far as Wynnum.  Problem is the time into the centre of the city is quite high on public transport.

I am a fan of Mount Gravatt as a start point (we stayed in Brisbane Holiday Village when we arrived, $80 a night for a family cabin with no bills), there is a Westfield and a super quick bus into the city ~19 mins to Southbank from memory.  That might allow you to have a look around.

Another thought is Kangaroo Point, over from the CBD but quick to get on the road south if you can avoid the traffic.

But personally, if your work is in range of Mooloolaba I would be giving that a serious consideration, but that is my hobbies speaking ?

If you haven't visited Australia before and coming from London, you will find Mooloolaba and the Sunshine Coast probably very sleepy by contrast. 

Not much stays open after about 9pm week nights, people get up early, exercise, then off to work. It's a very different life to London.

Having said that our son came here in his early 30's, 13 years ago from London, made great friends, and absolutely loves it here. There is plenty to do and sport, clubs and activities for almost anything you are interested in.

He and his wife have had to relocate to Brisbane for work, but come to the Coast as often as viable. Saving up for an investment property here to live in one day.

It doesn't suit everyone, but if you are happy here it's a wonderful place.

Thanks for the advice. 

I’m trying to decide between the 2 job locations- Caboolture and Victoria Point. I’ve been to Australia a few years back but can’t remember the areas too well. I was thinking of taking the Caboolture post as I was hoping to be able to then choose between living on the coast or in the city when I’d been there a few months but I’m not sure if that’s an option now given the uncertainty about the commute. I’d ideally live in central Brisbane so I can do more and meet more people of the same age. I’m worried about feeling isolated and alone on the coast. 

8 hours ago, Happybunny44 said:

Thanks for the advice. 

I’m trying to decide between the 2 job locations- Caboolture and Victoria Point. I’ve been to Australia a few years back but can’t remember the areas too well. I was thinking of taking the Caboolture post as I was hoping to be able to then choose between living on the coast or in the city when I’d been there a few months but I’m not sure if that’s an option now given the uncertainty about the commute. I’d ideally live in central Brisbane so I can do more and meet more people of the same age. I’m worried about feeling isolated and alone on the coast. 

You may find it is easier to make friends in smaller communities rather than the city,i find smaller communities more welcoming. Another thought is making friends with and via work collegues,, if you do keep getting invites, will you not want to be nearer them, presuming they live surronding you work location, the commute may get tiresome at weekends if you have been doing it for work all week?

Victoria point is lovely, lots of suburbs in the Redlands are nice and probably a lot busier than you think they will be so its worth having a look at. 

Will you be getting a short term rental for a few months when you first arrive? If so that would give you a chance to find your bearings and look into different areas and property.

Cal x

Yeah, I’ll be getting an air bnb or something like that, possibly more than once to suss our a few areas. I’ve decided to go with the Victoria Point job, the commute looks easier, seems a nicer area and the DWS changed today and Caboolture isn’t on it anymore so it’d take ages to sort my exemption out. Decision made! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Happybunny44 said:

Yeah, I’ll be getting an air bnb or something like that, possibly more than once to suss our a few areas. I’ve decided to go with the Victoria Point job, the commute looks easier, seems a nicer area and the DWS changed today and Caboolture isn’t on it anymore so it’d take ages to sort my exemption out. Decision made! 

Good luck with it all.  If you have any specific questions about Victoria Point and surrounding suburbs I would be happy to help.  I live in Mt Cotton which is close by.  This is a quiet, family-orientated area but very pretty on the bayside and pretty accessible to Brisbane, The Gold Coast, the Scenic Rim and Moreton Bay Islands.

• Like 1