Buying Cars in the UK

Keith and Linda

Second hand or new? There are so many car supermarket type of places everywhere, you can just go in and buy one! I went into Bristol St Motors in our local town, told them what I was looking for, they showed me a few online, had a couple delivered the next day or the day after and I went to try them. I chose one, paid for it and they cleaned it, checked it over and I picked it up. You’ll be in a strong position to negotiate- there are so many cars to choose from!

it just takes a few days to get the paperwork sorted out, but the dealers usually do that for you.

3 minutes ago, caramac said:

Second hand or new? There are so many car supermarket type of places everywhere, you can just go in and buy one! I went into Bristol St Motors in our local town, told them what I was looking for, they showed me a few online, had a couple delivered the next day or the day after and I went to try them. I chose one, paid for it and they cleaned it, checked it over and I picked it up. You’ll be in a strong position to negotiate- there are so many cars to choose from!

it just takes a few days to get the paperwork sorted out, but the dealers usually do that for you.

Thanks for reply caramac, it will be second hand, just wanted to start looking somewhere now whilst still in Aus to get a feel of things and monitor the sites but if one jumps out at me I could go for it.

I will check out Bristol street motors, but generally I shy away from dealers but if its a buyers market why not hey!

25 minutes ago, Keith and Linda said:

Thanks for reply caramac, it will be second hand, just wanted to start looking somewhere now whilst still in Aus to get a feel of things and monitor the sites but if one jumps out at me I could go for it.

I will check out Bristol street motors, but generally I shy away from dealers but if its a buyers market why not hey!

I’m always a bit suspicious of dealers, but I think Bristol St have a pretty good reputation. So do Arnold Clark. At least it’ll give you an idea of what’s out there - they’re both national companies, so have a huge database of cars to search!

Good luck 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keith and Linda said:

Looking at buying a car in the UK instead of hiring as we will be spending prolonged periods in England in the not too distant future. So looking for advice on the best places to start looking. web site etc

Thanks in advance

https://www.regit.cars/used-cars/ford_kuga/maxprice-15000_postcode-sy38xt_dealrating-excellent,good_transmission-automatic_litre-2.0-2.5_fuel-diesel_page-

Try this, it gives cars that are hanging in showrooms, remember that diesels are sliding badly and will continue to do so. Depreciation will continue to rise on diesel.

4 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

https://www.regit.cars/used-cars/ford_kuga/maxprice-15000_postcode-sy38xt_dealrating-excellent,good_transmission-automatic_litre-2.0-2.5_fuel-diesel_page-

Try this, it gives cars that are hanging in showrooms, remember that diesels are sliding badly and will continue to do so. Depreciation will continue to rise on diesel.

Thanks, looks interesting.

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Are there any obstacles to buying a car if you're not resident in the UK?  Or getting it insured?   

There's plenty when driving a car on the roads!

Went to an insurance broker posed the question they supposedly checked things out and they will be able to provide insurance. I will have a residential address with council tax bills in my name if needed.

But really no different to the likes of say back packers getting cars as they do here in OZ.

1 hour ago, Keith and Linda said:

Went to an insurance broker posed the question they supposedly checked things out and they will be able to provide insurance. I will have a residential address with council tax bills in my name if needed.

But really no different to the likes of say back packers getting cars as they do here in OZ.

Aha, if you've got a residential address then nothing to worry about.  

I don't think anyone should assume that because you can buy a car in one country, you can buy one in another.  Rules differ from country to country.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

"As long as you have an address"- yes, that's why I asked the question.  Someone going to the UK for a long-term holiday doesn't have an address.

Yes it's not too difficult to be able to give an address, just a friends will do. It's what we did when we first arrived back. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

Yes it's not too difficult to be able to give an address, just a friends will do. It's what we did when we first arrived back. 

I wouldn't have thought they would ask to prove it. My kids couldn't show a utility bill or anything.

But you would need to be careful that you weren't commiting insurance fraud.

20 hours ago, bristolman said:

You don't need to show a license to buy a car in the UK. No stamp duty here. 

As far as I am aware your car registration address and licence address have to be the same and your address for insurance needs to be the same, the police cars are now fully equipped with "Vehicle registration recognition equipment" which checks all of that info in a micro second, it even checks whether you have a valid MOT, know someone recently who got pulled over because their MOT was 4 weeks out of date.

So far as I am aware it is an offence not to have the correct residential addresses on your license and registration documents and try and make a insurance claim with an incorrect address on the policy and see how quickly you get notified that your policy is null and void because of incorrect information provided.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Melbpom said:

Are there any issues with the cost of parts and servicing of European cars? I've been browsing car sales sites and there are lots of cheap BMWs, Audis etc but just wondering if they are as expensive to maintain as in Oz?

No, they are much cheaper to maintain in the UK. We bought a Jag a year or so ago and it really is ridiculously cheap to maintain. I'm not a fan of German cars but consumables are reasonably priced. Luxury car brands such as Jags, BMW, Audi etc depreciate quickly because those people with money want a new one not second-hand so used ones are cheap. 

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:47, BacktoDemocracy said:

As far as I am aware your car registration address and licence address have to be the same and your address for insurance needs to be the same, the police cars are now fully equipped with "Vehicle registration recognition equipment" which checks all of that info in a micro second, it even checks whether you have a valid MOT, know someone recently who got pulled over because their MOT was 4 weeks out of date.

So far as I am aware it is an offence not to have the correct residential addresses on your license and registration documents and try and make a insurance claim with an incorrect address on the policy and see how quickly you get notified that your policy is null and void because of incorrect information provided.

I wonder how anyone drives a company vehicle legally?