300 - Prospective Marriage visa query

HibiscusDreams

• 3 weeks later...

registering our relationship seems like a good move - wondering if we should do the same since we are also in an LDR and have never lived together, that's useful advice :)

Also, does anyone know if it possible to file a class 300 application via a paper based route, and what the time/cost implications are? My partner isn't massively tech savvy and would feel happier if I could send over the paperwork for her to that she can send back to me to lodge with Immi. The website seems ambigious as to wether or not this is still an option. Another thing that sent me wondering down this line is that we're currently contacting celebrants for the wedding and one of them especially caught our eye as she specifically says she works with couples having to go through the Class 300 system, and she was saying to me that I need a copy of the NOIM as I will need it to take for interview at the London High Comission - seems a bit ye olde worlde, so is this still current practice? Anyone else have to do this, what to expect?

I still think the relationship registration (if it's available in the state where your partner lives - apparently not all states offer this) is the way to go it's so difficult to provide proof of anything when you're in an LDR and not had the opportunity of living together and generating the usual joint evidence. For my fiancé and I it was also a way of showing that we were serious about our relationship and were totally committed to each other. As for the other questions re the paperwork we used an agent to help with our application but even so we still had to have an noim most celebrants understand this process and are happy to help. Good luck ? xx 

Thanks for that, Spangle. My better half is in NSW, so all fine there - got the forms hot off the printer :)

Just spoke to the European Service Centre at Immi regarding submitting an application. Got some mixed results so wanted to see how this gels with other people's recent experience?

- Asked about lodging a paper based 300 application through the London office. Got am ambiguous response and when asked for clarification was told that's not possible and it has to be done online. The Partnership Visas handbook says this is still an option but dates from last year. (I wanted to do a paper based application as my partner really doesn't want to do computer based forms - the whole visa process is obviously a complete mystery to her as she's always been an aussie!)

- Asked about doing medical in advance (to speed up the process by being able to produce it on demand). Was told this was not an option, but again the guidance notes for the visa suggest that it is.

- The notes for the partner visas say that you can submit statements either just as plain documents or stat decs, but doesn't indiciate a preference to either. When I asked which one I should do, was just told "Yes". Le sigh!

So, my fellow pommies.... what's a gal to do?

1 hour ago, HibiscusDreams said:

Thanks for that, Spangle. My better half is in NSW, so all fine there - got the forms hot off the printer :)

Just spoke to the European Service Centre at Immi regarding submitting an application. Got some mixed results so wanted to see how this gels with other people's recent experience?

- Asked about lodging a paper based 300 application through the London office. Got am ambiguous response and when asked for clarification was told that's not possible and it has to be done online. The Partnership Visas handbook says this is still an option but dates from last year. (I wanted to do a paper based application as my partner really doesn't want to do computer based forms - the whole visa process is obviously a complete mystery to her as she's always been an aussie!)

- Asked about doing medical in advance (to speed up the process by being able to produce it on demand). Was told this was not an option, but again the guidance notes for the visa suggest that it is.

- The notes for the partner visas say that you can submit statements either just as plain documents or stat decs, but doesn't indiciate a preference to either. When I asked which one I should do, was just told "Yes". Le sigh!

So, my fellow pommies.... what's a gal to do?

Partner visas must be submitted online now. 

A NOIM must be included with a Prospective Marriage application

You can do the medical in advance, and as the uk seems to be processing really fast its probably a good idea.

Statements must be on Form 888 and accompanied by ID if done by ozzies or holders of oz PR. Otherwise it really makes no difference,  and they can be on plain paper.

Well done getting the registration forms ? hope it goes well. As for the medical and police check all I would add is remember that they are only valid for 12 months and check what that means to your eventual visa timeline (I'm still not sure how that works myself) It's really only the Australian Stat Dec's that count (hence the form 888) but we put in 3 from people in the UK who had spent time with us together anyway and 2 of those were certified along with the persons I.D by solicitors. Hope that helps ? (only costs a couple of £)

37 minutes ago, spangle 1 said:

Well done getting the registration forms ? hope it goes well. As for the medical and police check all I would add is remember that they are only valid for 12 months and check what that means to your eventual visa timeline (I'm still not sure how that works myself) It's really only the Australian Stat Dec's that count (hence the form 888) but we put in 3 from people in the UK who had spent time with us together anyway and 2 of those were certified along with the persons I.D by solicitors. Hope that helps ? (only costs a couple of £)

Statements from people who aren't ozzies do count, especially as not everyone has ozzie friends or relatives. Its just that they prefer ozzies, partly  as they can prosecute them if they lie on the forms! They have no recourse against people who don't hold PR or citizenship. 

The 12 month thing means that one has 12 months to validate the visa, from the date of the medical or pcc, whichever is the earlier. Normally its best to wait till requested, but as the UK is currently processing in about 2-3 months front-loading has become a good idea again. 

On 22/02/2018 at 16:38, Nemesis said:

Partner visas must be submitted online now. 

A NOIM must be included with a Prospective Marriage application

You can do the medical in advance, and as the uk seems to be processing really fast its probably a good idea.

Statements must be on Form 888 and accompanied by ID if done by ozzies or holders of oz PR. Otherwise it really makes no difference,  and they can be on plain paper.

On 22/02/2018 at 18:11, spangle 1 said:

Thanks :) - 12 months validity should be fine. We're getting married next feb, but want to head out in the first week of November so we can get stuff sorted and have christmas together (in summer - yay!) - so based on that was planning to submit the visa application around May, if that sounds about right? 

One silly question - since we do need to apply online (so will be scanning all the ID and whatnot) - is it necessary to still get certified copies of the ID documents and then scan the copy, or can we just upload a scan of the originals? 

No question is silly when you're trying to find your way through this process ? I'm not actually sure what the right answer to this is (if there is one) all I can offer is personal experience and basically anything that required certified copies I got done before scanning and sending to our agent ? xx I now obviously have a file of originals with their certified copy but figure at least if I'm asked for either I'll be able to produce them x

yep I was the same having got the stuff certified for the registration (and realising the minimal cost ?) it wasn't difficult to do the same for the visa docs too and at least it proves that the document you're presenting is the real thing (as seen by a third party, the solicitor) ? xx 

I just lodged my spouse visa application and I was also wondering about having IDs certified, but the official website says this:

Preparing documents for online applications

• All non-English documents must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters for a translator.
    Translators outside Australia do not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.
  • Scan and attach all documents (English and non-English documents) to your online application.
  • Your documents do not have to be certified.
  • Information about attaching documents is available.
  • Send each document only once. For example, if you are using your dependent’s birth certificate to prove their identity and to prove their relationship to you, only send the certificate once.

•  

So we didn't.

The one thing that has to be certified though are the statements from your witnesses. These have to be filled via form 888.
The personal statement (written by your partner and yourself) are another thing; they can indeed either be written as a stat dec, or as a free-form text (which we did), in which case they don't have to be certified. Your personal preference!

As for your medical checks, yup they can be frontloaded, just make sure they are carried on by a panel physician and not a regular GP. For a list, see https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/help/location/united-kingdom

Good luck!!! :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have just been granted my prospective marriage visa I am a bit confused about the following:" first entry arrive by 22 March 2018". Does this mean I HAVE TO enter Australia on the 22 March or FROM the 22th March 2018 I can enter Australia?

32 minutes ago, Nikisha said:

Hi I have just been granted my prospective marriage visa I am a bit confused about the following:" first entry arrive by 22 March 2018". Does this mean I HAVE TO enter Australia on the 22 March or FROM the 22th March 2018 I can enter Australia?

It means you must make your first entry to Australia by 22 March 2018. ie BEFORE 22 March 2018.

Best get packing!

5 hours ago, Nikisha said:

It means you HAVE TO  enter Australia BEFORE 22nd March.  It doesn't mean you have to settle permanently by that date, but it DOES mean you need to book a flight right now, because you must visit  Australia before 22nd March.  

12 hours ago, Nikisha said:

What the others have said, you need to have made first entry to Aus and validated your visa before that date. 

So get onto it, book a flight to arrive before then and go validate your visa. You don't have to remain in Aus, but you do need to validate. You have a set period of time in which to make the move out there and marry, so ensure you are organised for it all. 

8 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

About 25 years ago, not really relevant now!

Sorry nemesis I meant to quote someone else ?? I was curious about nekisha- if she only had about a week to activate her visa and if that was normal? 

Edited by Angelpie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Angelpie said:

Sorry nemesis I meant to quote someone else ?? I was curious about nekisha- if she only had about a week to activate her visa and if that was normal? 

:D 

Its unusual to see such a short validation period - may be down to the date on which the medical or police check was done. 

The other thing to watch is that although first entry doesn't need to be a permanent move, with a PMV you also only have a 9 month window from grant in which to get married and then apply for the Partner Visa itself.

18 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

:D 

Its unusual to see such a short validation period - may be down to the date on which the medical or police check was done. 

The other thing to watch is that although first entry doesn't need to be a permanent move, with a PMV you also only have a 9 month window from grant in which to get married and then apply for the Partner Visa itself.

Cheers nemesis , 9 month thing is fine it was the very short validation time x

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus! I didn't know Class 300s had an "enter by" date... I was under the impression that it just had to be within the 9 month period from when the Visa is approved.  :/ We've already fixed a date for our wedding so hoping that doesn't become an issue - though our celebrant is providing details of all our plans to submit along with the visa so hoping they will take that into consideration? 

Just wanted to ask those who have trod these hallowed footsteps before how it works with eMedical? I'm a bit worried. I must admit I assumed once one applied for an eMedical ref number to preload a medical before applying that the reference would be near instantaneous and auto-generated by the system. However I submitted the request on the 1st, and still haven't had a reference back. I was hoping to get it done this week or next as I've got time off work - and the nearest clinic to me is still an all day trip.  Is this normal?

On the plus side, civil partnership cert is underway, stat decs are getting done,  things are moving! Fingers crossed if eMedical and BDM get their skates on, can submit at the start of may as planned :)

Hi. My visa got granted on the 14th March but according to the high commission in my country they used the expiry of one of my documents, the police clearance, and granted it before it expires. Apparently the Computer picks the date between the sponsors and the primary applicants police clearance expiry date, mine was 30th March and his 22nd March. Apologies for the delayed response.

Altogether the prospective marriage visa process took us 11months and 2weeks..phew

22 hours ago, HibiscusDreams said:

Jesus! I didn't know Class 300s had an "enter by" date... I was under the impression that it just had to be within the 9 month period from when the Visa is approved.  :/ We've already fixed a date for our wedding so hoping that doesn't become an issue - though our celebrant is providing details of all our plans to submit along with the visa so hoping they will take that into consideration? 

Just wanted to ask those who have trod these hallowed footsteps before how it works with eMedical? I'm a bit worried. I must admit I assumed once one applied for an eMedical ref number to preload a medical before applying that the reference would be near instantaneous and auto-generated by the system. However I submitted the request on the 1st, and still haven't had a reference back. I was hoping to get it done this week or next as I've got time off work - and the nearest clinic to me is still an all day trip.  Is this normal?

On the plus side, civil partnership cert is underway, stat decs are getting done,  things are moving! Fingers crossed if eMedical and BDM get their skates on, can submit at the start of may as planned :)

Exciting times - although our visa hasn't been officially been granted yet ( bit of a cock up with oh police report being only for Queensland not federal ? ) our co was ready to grant last month which would of taken us just over the 3 1/2 month threshold, I eventually managed to speak to my co and explained the cock up - yes I'm marrying an idiot , we laughed ? And she's giving us the maximum time she can to give us to enter Australia so we can get my dog sorted etc she was very mindful of our wedding date and was so lovely xx