Bank Account

Mcguinnessp1968

The banks will be a little nervous of issuing a credit card immediately - your credit history in the UK is irrelevant. But six months down the line should be ok. The big banks are all pretty similar and I would just chose one that is convenient such as one with a branch close to where you will be working.

Whilst as PR and not 457, when we arrived we were offered credit cards and preauthorised for a significant mortgage within a few days of opening our accounts (the actual amount offered by the bank for the mortgage was insane actually and reminded me of when the UK banks were lending significantly more than people could repay prior to the crash). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/09/2017 at 16:43, CaptainR said:

Whilst as PR and not 457, when we arrived we were offered credit cards and preauthorised for a significant mortgage within a few days of opening our accounts (the actual amount offered by the bank for the mortgage was insane actually and reminded me of when the UK banks were lending significantly more than people could repay prior to the crash). 

When was this?

As others have said, the big 4 in order of size are

CBA (c. 27% Market share)

Westpac (25%)

ANZ (15%)

NAB (15%)

INGDirect are another good option, they are an online/phone bank - they don't have branches and you can use Australia Post if you need to do a cash tranx.  You get charged here if you use another bank's ATM ($2-$3).  ING refund this to you (with some minor conditions).

The big 4 are much of a muchness, I have had accounts with most of them over the years (and worked for 2 of them).  My preference would be CBA as their online and app banking is world class.  Just very easy to use (ING a close 2nd).

ING online saver has the highest rate currently (think it is 3%).

Re credit - as long as you are working and have a reasonable income ($65k +) you should get credit cards fairly easily.  Worth signing up with a frequent flyer program before coming over (Qantas & Virgin/Velocity are the big 2).  Many credit cards earn ff points and often offer large sign-up bonuses (but you will pay an annual fee).  Amex normally have good deals on (100,000 points etc)

I went with Commonwealth, on a 457 visa as colleagues who had also came this route mentioned they would give you a CC on the 457. I did not look at the others or check with them to see if they would provide the CC.

The CC was unsecured and came with a reasonable limit to start with, think may have been around $5000. I found the CC increases happened relatively quickly if you keep your account in good standing.

After a while joined ING, as they had cashback on the debit card. I believe they are stopping this now.

As Collie noted: Both accounts have very nice web interfaces to work with and the app for your phone also good for both.

The websites also make a lot of the UK bank account pale in comparison.

Well issue resolved, I opened an account with CommBank online on Friday.
I then had a very helpfull call today from one of their employees today who was based in London. Took me through various things such as how to get a mortgage, transfer money etc and arranged to have my new cards delivered to what will be my local branch
Even took me through a credit card application which was approved so I pick up all of my cards when I arrive in a few weeks. Great service