New arrival accommodation

MelbourneTractor

Just get a holiday rental or Airbnb for a month and prioritise finding a rental as soon as you arrive. I rented a 2 bed holiday apartment for 4 weeks when I arrived, it cost about £2000 for the month but by the end of the second week I had my rental signed up, I found renting highly competitive and difficult I did everything to get myself into a good position- paperwork all in order and a letter to the potential landlord explaining I would be a good and respectful tenant. It worked for me. I found no estate agent would consider me for a rental until I had arrived. And yes having a job will be essential to prove you can pay the rent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the others have said, you could try Airbnb or Stayz as an alternative, but as you've found it is quite expensive.  I'm not sure where you are moving to (Melbourne I assume?), but keeping away from holiday times will make things cheaper.  With regards to renting without a job, are you in the position that you could offer six months rent up front?  That might give you a bit of leverage.

For a cheaper short stay ,have a look at cabin or caravan parks, lots used to offer discounts if you stayed for 4 weeks or more so worth asking. Remember it is only temporary accommodation for a few weeks so doesnt need to be a big flashy house.

Cal x

Twas about to say! 2000pcm is actually rather reasonable for a rental property (this is about average for a 2 bed unit in an inner suburb)

The problem you are going to have is that the rental market is pretty competitive & furnished properties are at a premium. You are going to need Australian bank details and proof of income for your applications also. 

The only suggestion I could make is to apply for a flat share for 6 months? Even this might be tricky as most are looking for annual tenancy. 

Thought you had only recently returned to the UK? If so do you not have friends you could crash with short term in Melbourne?  If you treated it as a houseshare and paid them some rent someone who is short of cash would probably be interested. Otherwise it's serviced apartments  (expensive), or Air BnB lets or housesits. Try gumtree.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have any suggestions on short-term rentals for a single person? I'd be moving from Brisbane and I'd have a job to go to, however money on a single income is always tight. AirBNB & Stayz are too expensive for me. I'm not sure how long it would take to find an (unfurnished) 1 bedroom apartment to rent in any of the inner city suburbs, especially because I'd be working fulltime so it will be hard to get to viewings. 

Aren't some of the Air Bnb rentals for private rooms in homes, which are much cheaper than renting a whole apartment.  Here in Sydney, much as I hate it, some of the units in my block are let out as de facto hostels with people coming and going. I know this because they keep wanting to wedge the security door to my block open because they don't have the expensive security key or rather only one person has it.

Is it Melbourne you are going to? https://flatmates.com.au/melbourne

4 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Aren't some of the Air Bnb rentals for private rooms in homes, which are much cheaper than renting a whole apartment.  Here in Sydney, much as I hate it, some of the units in my block are let out as de facto hostels with people coming and going. I know this because they keep wanting to wedge the security door to my block open because they don't have the expensive security key or rather only one person has it.

Is it Melbourne you are going to? https://flatmates.com.au/melbourne

Yes I'm thinking of moving from Brisbane to Melbourne. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

AirBnB is going to be your cheapest option, I'm afraid - unless you're willing to go to a backpackers' hostel.   Some of them have private rooms as well as dormitories.

That really sucks...the minimum seems to be between $100 & $150 per night...that's a lot for someone on a single income. And I'm not sure how long it would take to find a decent long term rental. If it was 1-2 weeks I could manage but any longer than that would be impossible. I'm a very private person so share housing is not an option. I may need to wait a few more months so I can save more money ☺️. Some hostels have private rooms but they're almost just as expensive as Airbnb.

2 hours ago, Goofy2018 said:

That really sucks...the minimum seems to be between $100 & $150 per night...that's a lot for someone on a single income.

Are you sure?  I just did a search on AirBnB for "Melbourne" and it said the average price was $81.    If you search for a two-week stay, then the price per night should be cheaper.   We got a great flat in Balaclava when we arrived and we found a permanent rental within two weeks.

Your only other option might be to fly down on weekends and look for a rental place.  You could fly down Friday night so you're up bright and early on Saturday to go house-hunting, then fly back late Saturday afternoon.   Join GoGet so you can use one of their cars to get around and view as many places as possible. 

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Are you sure?  I just did a search on AirBnB for "Melbourne" and it said the average price was $81.    If you search for a two-week stay, then the price per night should be cheaper.   We got a great flat in Balaclava when we arrived and we found a permanent rental within two weeks.

I've just had another look...yes you're right it looks like there are cheaper options on Airbnb. Saw some single rooms in CBD apartments that would be ok for a few weeks. I must've looked at whole apartments the other day. 

You did well finding a permanent rental in 2 weeks. That sounds allright. 

We were able to find a rental place within a week of our arrival. We contacted lots of agents while overseas and even booked inspection once our arrival date was confirmed with them. We were also able to get rental property without a job. They needed to see the ability to pay the rent and we showed them our bank statement with savings and were able to get the property. We might have just been lucky but it is possible. We just got AirBnb for a week in Adelaide.  

Edited by path2aus

On 3/7/2018 at 19:16, Goofy2018 said:

You did well finding a permanent rental in 2 weeks. That sounds allright. 

I hunted online (domain.com.au and realestate.com.au) the week before, so I had a list of places to inspect as soon as I arrived.  All rental properties are listed on those two sites, there's no need to trek round estate agents' windows any more, and no one advertises in the Saturday paper either!

In fact when I think about it, if I was moving between states, I would be getting my accommodation arranged before I moved.  Flights are so cheap.   I'd be getting all my preparations done, then I'd search online, make a list of places to inspect and fly down on a weekend to do the inspections.   You might have to take on a flat in Melbourne before you've given up your place in Brisbane, so you'll have double rent for a few weeks - but it's better than the uncertainty of moving down, and not knowing how long you'll have to pay for AirBnB.  Besides, you can sometimes negotiate to delay taking occupation.  

It would be lovely if agents arranged viewings at weekends.  The rental market in SA seems rarely to have rental inspections at the weekend.  They are  usually in the week and often during work hours.  I guess the market is bigger in Melbourne so they have to work outside office hours.

In Adelaide it took us 5 weeks to secure a rental and another 3 to get the keys!  Yes I was fussy but there were not many on the market and we had to kiss a LOT of frogs!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

It would be lovely if agents arranged viewings at weekends.  The rental market in SA seems rarely to have rental inspections at the weekend.  They are  usually in the week and often during work hours.

How silly!  How do they expect tenants to be able to view them?   Most inspections in Melbourne - like every big city I've ever lived in - are on Saturday.  Saturday is a normal working day for most real estate agents, so they're not exactly putting themselves out!    They do also have some inspections on Thursday evenings.

Actually I think for someone who's "fussy", it makes even more sense to come down for a few weekends, rather than move without a place.  You don't want to be stuck paying Airbnb for five weeks.

Edited by Marisawright

Well to be fair most were in or very near the CBD, looked like most people had nipped out of work to view.  Sales opens tend to be weekends or evenings, I must admit I did find it a bit strange but the first viewings always seemed to be weekdays, sometimes there would be another in the evening or weekend but not often.  I had to go to many on my own as OH was working, he nipped out for a few especially the ones that looked most promising.

As said before though I wouldn’t rent without viewing, some were in a much poorer state than the obviously very old photos lead one to believe! And as many do not have floor plans you couldn’t really tell how big they were or if they had a sensible layout.  The thing about self build or renovated cottages is that some have very strange layouts.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 13:01, rammygirl said:

Well to be fair most were in or very near the CBD, looked like most people had nipped out of work to view.  Sales opens tend to be weekends or evenings, I must admit I did find it a bit strange but the first viewings always seemed to be weekdays, sometimes there would be another in the evening or weekend but not often.  I had to go to many on my own as OH was working, he nipped out for a few especially the ones that looked most promising.

As said before though I wouldn’t rent without viewing, some were in a much poorer state than the obviously very old photos lead one to believe! And as many do not have floor plans you couldn’t really tell how big they were or if they had a sensible layout.  The thing about self build or renovated cottages is that some have very strange layouts.

I agree with this. It was really frustrating as I was working in CBD and we were looking for places near Glenelg. It was almost impossible for me to make it to lots of these viewings. I would try and request for a weekend inspection, few of the agents did it and few did not. I also agree with the photos part, lots of the pictures in the ad are really old and when you look at the property you realise that this is not what you saw. I understand that the agents tell you to do an inspection before filling out an applications but again they need to update the pictures in the Ad as well. Lots of time you take time off work, only to realise this is not the place you saw on the realestate.com.au. The property is run down and is in real bad situation few times and you think why did I even bother.

33 minutes ago, path2aus said:

I agree with this. It was really frustrating as I was working in CBD and we were looking for places near Glenelg. It was almost impossible for me to make it to lots of these viewings. I would try and request for a weekend inspection, few of the agents did it and few did not. I also agree with the photos part, lots of the pictures in the ad are really old and when you look at the property you realise that this is not what you saw. I understand that the agents tell you to do an inspection before filling out an applications but again they need to update the pictures in the Ad as well. Lots of time you take time off work, only to realise this is not the place you saw on the realestate.com.au. The property is run down and is in real bad situation few times and you think why did I even bother.

Perhaps it's a factor of how competitive the rental market is.  If the market in Adelaide is very much in favour of the landlord, then the agents don't have to make any effort to please potential tenants.  Whereas in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra (the three cities where I've looked for rentals), agents have to make a bit more effort to find tenants, and they do offer weekend and evening viewings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Perhaps it's a factor of how competitive the rental market is.  If the market in Adelaide is very much in favour of the landlord, then the agents don't have to make any effort to please potential tenants.  Whereas in Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra (the three cities where I've looked for rentals), agents have to make a bit more effort to find tenants, and they do offer weekend and evening viewings.

Might be true but I have seen that the properties remain on the market for a long time in Adelaide as well. I remember going to an inspection and taking an application from the agent and told him that I would probably be moving in next month. He just snatched the form from my hand and told me that "No one is going to wait till next month" and was extremely rude. I saw that the property was still scheduling inspections the following month as well. Even though that was a decent property I would never want to work with that agent again. There are lots of properties which are hung like that and I think a part of the problem are the agents themselves. Anyways I had to call off the search and decided to stay put this time though.