Career change; the day has finally come!

I have seen a number of posts over the years, and some recently, about changing careers as a pathway to Australia.

In 2011 I had an opportunity to retrain, and I'd always fancied living in Australia.

If I had done nothing, i'd be sat here now at 35 years old complaining that I can't get a visa because I'm not skilled, or lucky enough, or any other reason that wasn't my fault.

I came across Podiatry as a career, and it just so happened that it was (and still is) on the list. The past 6 years would have passed anyway, but instead of feeling sorry for myself, I got my entry qualifications, got my application to university accepted, started my course, had a baby, went back to uni, and yesterday I was told that I passed my final clinical exams and that I will graduate in July with a 1st class honours degree!

It hasn't been easy, and if you choose to retrain just for the visa you might not stick it out.

But if you find something you're passionate about, and you have the chance to go for it then please do. Without regard for the ever changing visa criteria; sign up, commit yourself and the time will pass. And one day you will have achieved so much more than you thought you could AND you may end up where I am... with no one to blame for you not qualifying for a visa. No more excuses, what ifs, or if onlys.

I'm not sure what help this may be to others, or if I've posted in the right place, but posts like this spurred me on through the tough times, when 5 or 6 years felt an eternity away.

Follow your heart, then following your dreams comes all by itself [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, GiveAGirlShoes said:

I have seen a number of posts over the years, and some recently, about changing careers as a pathway to Australia.

In 2011 I had an opportunity to retrain, and I'd always fancied living in Australia.

If I had done nothing, i'd be sat here now at 35 years old complaining that I can't get a visa because I'm not skilled, or lucky enough, or any other reason that wasn't my fault.

I came across Podiatry as a career, and it just so happened that it was (and still is) on the list. The past 6 years would have passed anyway, but instead of feeling sorry for myself, I got my entry qualifications, got my application to university accepted, started my course, had a baby, went back to uni, and yesterday I was told that I passed my final clinical exams and that I will graduate in July with a 1st class honours degree!

It hasn't been easy, and if you choose to retrain just for the visa you might not stick it out.

But if you find something you're passionate about, and you have the chance to go for it then please do. Without regard for the ever changing visa criteria; sign up, commit yourself and the time will pass. And one day you will have achieved so much more than you thought you could AND you may end up where I am... with no one to blame for you not qualifying for a visa. No more excuses, what ifs, or if onlys.

I'm not sure what help this may be to others, or if I've posted in the right place, but posts like this spurred me on through the tough times, when 5 or 6 years felt an eternity away.

Follow your heart, then following your dreams comes all by itself emoji6.png

Good for you Gal and good luck for the future. You're not the same lass that used to post with a same (or similar) name years ago are you? If so, welcome back.

Guest The Pom Queen

Congratulations I love it when people like yourself work hard for what you want and don't expect it handed on a silver plate. Adonna and @BritChickx are two other lovely ladies who did/are doing the same. 

So how long is it before you can apply? Do you need experience first?

Congratulations!  Funnily enough I took my eldest daughter to the podiatrist earlier today.  She has hypermobile joints which mean that she has super flat feet, her ankles turn in, and her knees turn inwards (knock knees?) which causes her some pain in her hips knees and ankles.  She was given orthotics by the podiatrist, along with some exercises from an exercise physiologist, and isn't getting any more pain.  Very happy with the difference that the podiatrist made to her life :)

• Like 3

Thats awesome!! Massive congratulations on your 1st class honors! And well done for perservering :). I am doing something similar to you. Been to aus, wanted to live there since. Wanted to be a nurse for longer though, and now finally im starting my degree in September. Its never easy but nothing thats meaningful is! 

Edited by BritChickx
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GiveAGirlShoes said:

Follow your heart, then following your dreams comes all by itself emoji6.png

Woop woop! Three cheers for you hun!! I'm really pleased that you can now commence the next step of your journey. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs directly in the QLD health website (instead of going via an agency) once you have the visa. I've managed to secure a job through it, so you can too! I'll have a cold drink ready for when you get there ?

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone; I love this little community so much.

BritChickx - your training will fly by!

LKC - I hope it resolves the issue once and for all, I love how quickly we can impact people's lives

and Mr Ninja... I might hold you to that! I'd love to work with QLD Health, but I might need some more experience as they've been advertising quite senior roles in Podiatry. I will keep a lookout!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Its all on the skills list. For instance Podiatrist has no minimum experience required, where some skills will state X amount of years (post qualification). This (I think?) is down to the assessing body, in my case ANZPAC

So yes, I have to meet minimum points, but my degree (once assessed) satisfies the requirements, in addition to age and PTE score.

I would not be claiming points for experience, if this was the case it would be for additional points, above and beyond the minimum I require.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Congratulations. I did the same as you. Studied Podiatry and migrated to Victoria in 2010. I have been here just over 7.5 years now and love it!! I decided to go back to uni a few years ago in Aus to study medicine so am now retraining as a Dr, hoping to be a GP!! Good luck with the move!

Wow, studying medicine is a pipe dream of mine! Well done to you, it'll be nice for a GP to know the difference between a corn and a verruca [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Whereabouts in Victoria are you, did you settle and find steady work straight away or did it take a while to figure it all out?

well done! I am a podiatrist with 189 visa going through at the moment. I also retrained (fair few years ago) partly with skills list in mind. we are undecided as to whether to move now as we have things so good here. I'm inclined to go for 4 years for the experience (life and work).

If we don't go I am so glad I retrained. I absolutely love my job, am earning good money and have good prospects for the future. Podiatry has done me proud. it is what you make it though - keep up to date, look for opportunities and get your name known as someone who wants to progress.

I would not recommend retraining in this field for a visa if you have no prior interest though as it is tough work and often very undervalued and underpaid for what we actually do. 

Edited by aurora

34 minutes ago, ajs604 said:

Congratulations. I did the same as you. Studied Podiatry and migrated to Victoria in 2010. I have been here just over 7.5 years now and love it!! I decided to go back to uni a few years ago in Aus to study medicine so am now retraining as a Dr, hoping to be a GP!! Good luck with the move!

I remember your posts from years back! I am a bit too old to look at medical school now but working so closely with vascular surgeons I would choose that career if had my time again!

giveagirlshoes - while yes you will see corns etc the world of Podiatry is far more exciting, especially in the diabetic foot world. you will remove corns in a high risk foot but you will also be removing mummified toes ( it is a very strange job sometimes ? ).

Yeah I had my final year placement in high risk and got to work with Martin Fox! Plenty of toes debride, and some of the most amazing wounds, along with the opportunity to actually save lives in patients with CLI

I've been networking throughout my final year and have a very good opportunity in private practice, just waiting for the directors to come back to me after creating a position just for me [emoji5] they're just working out the practicalities

• 4 months later...
Yeah I had my final year placement in high risk and got to work with Martin Fox! Plenty of toes debride, and some of the most amazing wounds, along with the opportunity to actually save lives in patients with CLI
I've been networking throughout my final year and have a very good opportunity in private practice, just waiting for the directors to come back to me after creating a position just for me [emoji5] they're just working out the practicalities

My OH is starting to consider the move a reality now [emoji4]

Good timing really as he's just been told he's owed quite a lot of money from a ppi claim that was already paid out 5 years ago, but has since been reassessed...

... We also have a Skype interview for Wanted down under after making it to the final selection process [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I love/hate the program but if we get the chance I think it'll be worth it to see whether or not he likes it and we'll know for certain then. Also a push for me to shift a few lbs [emoji6]

I'm now working 2 part time jobs as a podiatrist and loving every minute (aside from MSK [emoji29])
  • Like 1