Feeling stuck in a dead-end job

SpaghettiWinston

Apologies in advance, I appreciate this is quite boring...

I am 28 years old, moving to Australia (location TBC) to marry my fiancé in May on a Prospective Marriage Visa (granted.)

I got a bit of a slow start in life due to being raised in an abusive / neglectful environment and consequently suffering from severe anxiety and depression since early childhood. I attempted suicide aged 21 and since then have tried to make a better future for myself. I still have rather low self-esteem, which I am gradually building up. Learning how to think positively when you've been taught to pick yourself apart over everything is pretty tough. I therefore underestimated myself when I left university and have been doing a job that I see as incompatible with my personality and skills in the long term.

Sob story aside - when I get to Australia, I'd like to use it as an opportunity to start again and build a career I can be truly proud of. I'll be away from the toxic influences in my family, always making me doubt myself. My fiancé is hugely supportive and tells me I am capable of whatever I set my mind to.

To summarise my qualifications / experience:

• I have a bachelor's degree in French & Italian from a top 30 UK university. I did a lot of extra-curriculars and held a couple of elected Students' Union posts. I was a member of the model UN society which involved diplomatic visits and conferences at Cambridge and Harvard universities.
  • I have 2+ years' experience in recruitment, mostly in the legal sector - I am also about to take on research- and marketing-based responsibilities, which are less "typical" of recruitment and more about improving the profile of the company's successful international arm. This involves working with Australian and NZ-qualified lawyers.
  • At university I did an internship in Italy translating contracts from Italian into English for international clients, teaching English to the employees etc. as part of an initiative to help them expand into the Asia-Pacific market.
  • During my gap year, I taught English at a university in China (this was a voluntary position.)
  • I have prior experience going back to when I was 14, but the rest isn't particularly career-oriented and probably not noteworthy.

I don't want to end up "pigeonholed" into recruitment for the rest of my working life. I already get bored in my current job really easily, which is why they've given me more to do. But I can't do this forever.

I am just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for potential career paths, considering my qualifications, experience etc.? Do you have any general advice? At this point I'm just brainstorming and open to ideas / feedback from people who've lived through similar circumstances.

NB: I am willing to eventually do a postgraduate qualification if it will help, but would prefer to start this once I am a permanent resident (as it's less expensive than being an international student, and gives me time to save some money after the wedding and buying our first home.)

Please let me know if you need more info, I just didn't want to ramble more about myself than I already have.

Thank you for your time :)

I probably can't offer any good advice, but I really admire peopel like you. Not a great upbringing, however, not only surviving but excelling. I wish you the absolute best mate. One thing I've learnt, the more positive you think, the more positive you become. It's a bit contagious.

And P.S ... you can do anything.

I am 28 years old, moving to Australia (location TBC) to marry my fiancé in May on a Prospective Marriage Visa (granted.)

I got a bit of a slow start in life due to being raised in an abusive / neglectful environment and consequently suffering from severe anxiety and depression since early childhood. I attempted suicide aged 21 and since then have tried to make a better future for myself. I still have rather low self-esteem, which I am gradually building up. Learning how to think positively when you've been taught to pick yourself apart over everything is pretty tough. I therefore underestimated myself when I left university and have been doing a job that I see as incompatible with my personality and skills in the long term.

Sob story aside - when I get to Australia, I'd like to use it as an opportunity to start again and build a career I can be truly proud of. I'll be away from the toxic influences in my family, always making me doubt myself. My fiancé is hugely supportive and tells me I am capable of whatever I set my mind to.

• I have a bachelor's degree in French & Italian from a top 30 UK university. I did a lot of extra-curriculars and held a couple of elected Students' Union posts. I was a member of the model UN society which involved diplomatic visits and conferences at Cambridge and Harvard universities.

• I have 2+ years' experience in recruitment, mostly in the legal sector - I am also about to take on research- and marketing-based responsibilities, which are less "typical" of recruitment and more about improving the profile of the company's successful international arm. This involves working with Australian and NZ-qualified lawyers.

• At university I did an internship in Italy translating contracts from Italian into English for international clients, teaching English to the employees etc. as part of an initiative to help them expand into the Asia-Pacific market.

• During my gap year, I taught English at a university in China (this was a voluntary position.)

• I have prior experience going back to when I was 14, but the rest isn't particularly career-oriented and probably not noteworthy.

I don't want to end up "pigeonholed" into recruitment for the rest of my working life. I already get bored in my current job really easily, which is why they've given me more to do. But I can't do this forever.

I am just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for potential career paths, considering my qualifications, experience etc.? Do you have any general advice? At this point I'm just brainstorming and open to ideas / feedback from people who've lived through similar circumstances.

NB: I am willing to eventually do a postgraduate qualification if it will help, but would prefer to start this once I am a permanent resident (as it's less expensive than being an international student, and gives me time to save some money after the wedding and buying our first home.)

Please let me know if you need more info, I just didn't want to ramble more about myself than I already have.

With so much potential and enthusiasm why don't you start your own business. ..

There's no feeling like becoming an entrepreneur. ...

You have full control of every aspect. . Just the way you would like it to be....

With a lovely woman to support your I am sure you will reach the stars. .. let alone the sky. ..

Wish you all the best in all your endeavours

Best regards

Nick

My suggestion would be before coming to oz try to get recruitment in oz in your own field of recruitment. .. simply because you have some experience and you may secure a job in oz while you are still in the UK. ..

Many have done this. . Moreover you already know which city you're going to so just need to look in that city

Best regards

Nick

What would you like to do? What do you enjoy? You can do anything, including head back to uni. Once in Oz and gain pr there is nothing to stop you doing another undergrad. I get the impression you are pretty young, so have the option of retraining.

i was in a very similar position and background. I originally did law, but some years later went back and did geology so now work as a geologist. Although now in my late 40's I am considering another career change. So nothing stopping you.

I probably can't offer any good advice, but I really admire peopel like you. Not a great upbringing, however, not only surviving but excelling. I wish you the absolute best mate. One thing I've learnt, the more positive you think, the more positive you become. It's a bit contagious.

And P.S ... you can do anything.

What BC says.

I empathise and in some ways envy you. I baled out of an abusive past at age 15 and joined the forces to get away from it. Despite passing the 11 plus I never went on to study further (academically) and it's something that I've regretted all my life. Good on yer mate for making the best of a bad situation. I wish I'd have stuck it out. I wish you well and I'm sure you'll succeed at whatever you go for.

You sound like you have bags of potential and using Australia as a catalyst to launch into a new career doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. But it is impossible to suggest what that career should be as we don't know you or your likes. Perhaps you could use the time from now until then to investigate options and take some professional career guidance. I had career guidance at school but I am absolutely certain there are plenty of similar resources for adults.

Good luck with your move and future career!

With French and Italian, Europe may well be a better option. Have you thought of study in France? You sound to have a European flair and may profit from a change there rather than Australia.

Perhaps you could come on a WHV and check out the territory if really desiring Australia? I assume you fall within the age category. Australia is increasingly competitive with a very high number graduating from uni's , so you would need to check out the area carefully that interests you.

With French and Italian, Europe may well be a better option. Have you thought of study in France? You sound to have a European flair and may profit from a change there rather than Australia.

Perhaps you could come on a WHV and check out the territory if really desiring Australia? I assume you fall within the age category. Australia is increasingly competitive with a very high number graduating from uni's , so you would need to check out the area carefully that interests you.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have worked and studied in Europe (Italy and Switzerland, the French-speaking part.) I did a WHV in 2013/2014 and lived in Perth with my fiancé for a year. It was tough because I couldn't apply for career-focused jobs due to the conditions of that visa. My PMV was approved in September and activates in January. I am relocating in April.

This is something my partner and I have been planning for a long time, we've been together for 7 years. He is Australian and his family are based here (with whom he is very close, they are lovely people) and I don't feel tied to my family in the UK so it makes logical sense to be near his.

Before I met my SO I would never have considered moving to Australia, but I'm now glad to be doing so. Australia will be the fifth country I've lived in and it's a place I can happily spend my life - having spent 24-36 months years there cumulatively over the past 7 years, I have realistic expectations.

With so much potential and enthusiasm why don't you start your own business. ..

There's no feeling like becoming an entrepreneur. ...

You have full control of every aspect. . Just the way you would like it to be....

With a lovely woman to support your I am sure you will reach the stars. .. let alone the sky. ..

Wish you all the best in all your endeavours

Best regards

Nick

That's very kind of you, Nick :) I am actually a woman, my partner is male lol. I guess my username is a bit misleading...

I did think about starting a business, but it's a big risk particularly as I am a non-permanent resident until the permanent component of the visa is approved. I also have no idea what I would do!

In regards to your recruitment suggestion, the idea is to get out of recruitment! I don't mind doing it for a few months until something better comes along, I can find enjoyment in my everyday role but it's not something I want to end up stuck in forever.

i was in a very similar position and background. I originally did law, but some years later went back and did geology so now work as a geologist. Although now in my late 40's I am considering another career change. So nothing stopping you.

That's so inspiring to know - I guess it is never too late! I'm not having children so don't need to worry about taking time out of my career either (unless I feel like having a sabbatical.)

I like the more consultative, process-driven side of HR rather than the sales-y side because I'm quite a diligent person and don't mind supporting other people in my team. So I've thought about branching out into human resources, management consulting or some similar corporate field.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind going into law. Probably not the high-flying commercial stuff, but helping private clients... but until very recently I'd assumed this was something beyond my reach. And even if that's not the case, I don't want to invest money and time in something then walk away from it straight after because it's "not for me." But at least I know a bit about the everyday aspects of that career from helping candidates at work.

Those examples might give you guys an idea of what sort of jobs I could enjoy, but I'm open to hearing any options. There are so many fields out there I know nothing about, and the Australian job market is different from the UK one!

That's so inspiring to know - I guess it is never too late! I'm not having children so don't need to worry about taking time out of my career either (unless I feel like having a sabbatical.)

I like the more consultative, process-driven side of HR rather than the sales-y side because I'm quite a diligent person and don't mind supporting other people in my team. So I've thought about branching out into human resources, management consulting or some similar corporate field.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind going into law. Probably not the high-flying commercial stuff, but helping private clients... but until very recently I'd assumed this was something beyond my reach. And even if that's not the case, I don't want to invest money and time in something then walk away from it straight after because it's "not for me." But at least I know a bit about the everyday aspects of that career from helping candidates at work.

Those examples might give you guys an idea of what sort of jobs I could enjoy, but I'm open to hearing any options. There are so many fields out there I know nothing about, and the Australian job market is different from the UK one!

A law degree might suit you well. It was actually already my second career. I started in the army and came out when my first wife became terminally ill.

I really enjoyed the study of law and did want to be a lawyer, but one tiny detail messed up things. I wanted to be a barrister and was aiming for that. At the last second I panicked that I would not be able to get pupilage. In them days you could only do bar finals in London and that meant trying to live in London on no income for a year and then getting pupilage was VERY hard to get afterwards and, coming from a working class background I convinced myself I would never get pupilage. A few weeks later it was the university prize giving and I won most of the major awards. The main was sponsored by a local big barristers chambers who came over and said "of course we have a pupilage waiting for you". Unfortunately, that was 1 day after the closing date for bar finals and I couldn't apply. But, that is the way life plays out. I did solicitor exams instead but hated it, so ended up in recruitment. Not high end like you, but industrial. It was OK, but I never liked the sales side and when I was made redundant one day decided to use it as a spur to change career.

Geology has been fairly good to us. It took us to Australia and I have been able to work all over the world and experience some amazing things and it means I have steady job back in the UK with a reasonable salary and car and things.

Now, like everyone, I have changed as I have got older and my passions have changed and I have been thinking for some time about having my own little business along the lines of a food van doing gourmet Peruvian food. I cant do it yet as I need to save cash - we arrived back from Oz in March penniless and are just getting ourselves back to some sort of normal and saving for a house deposit. But once back to normal, I hope to give it a go. Probably in tandem with work at first and see how it goes.

You are never too old. I have friends a fair bit older than me who have returned to uni and changed career. One became a teacher aged 49 another a geophysicist

aged 60.

I really enjoyed the study of law and did want to be a lawyer, but one tiny detail messed up things. I wanted to be a barrister and was aiming for that. At the last second I panicked that I would not be able to get pupilage. In them days you could only do bar finals in London and that meant trying to live in London on no income for a year and then getting pupilage was VERY hard to get afterwards and, coming from a working class background I convinced myself I would never get pupilage. A few weeks later it was the university prize giving and I won most of the major awards. The main was sponsored by a local big barristers chambers who came over and said "of course we have a pupilage waiting for you". Unfortunately, that was 1 day after the closing date for bar finals and I couldn't apply. But, that is the way life plays out.

Now, like everyone, I have changed as I have got older and my passions have changed and I have been thinking for some time about having my own little business along the lines of a food van doing gourmet Peruvian food. I cant do it yet as I need to save cash - we arrived back from Oz in March penniless and are just getting ourselves back to some sort of normal and saving for a house deposit. But once back to normal, I hope to give it a go. Probably in tandem with work at first and see how it goes.

God, that is such a shame about the pupillage! Things are better now than they used to be in terms of opportunities from regional / working-class candidates, but it's still quite an elitist profession in my view. I went to a top grammar school in the UK and attended a decent university, so things are a bit easier for me but it would still involve a lot of time and money. Plus I'm still not 100% sure it's a good choice for me, I need to keep doing my research.

If I went into law, I would try to get some entry-level role at a law firm to tie me over until I start the professional qualification. I'm not sure what the earning potential is while you are still doing the practical training in Australia and I can't really do it unpaid even if by then I was a permanent resident.

Ah, I love food trucks! We are having a pizza truck at our wedding in place of the typical catering service :wink:

It might be good to have a meeting with a careers councilor. They don't just do appointments for school leavers. My wife has been out of the workforce for a while and when we returned she went and found it a very positive experience

That's not a bad idea, I'll look into that :)

Everyone else, thank you for your help so far. It has been immensely useful and I am so grateful!

I learned a bit of Chinese during my gap year. It's not a language I am that interested in learning to working proficiency, though.
have you also considered counseling or social working. You would be in a unique position to help others, although it could be a bit close to the bone?

Teaching languages? You sound like you'd be a fantastic role model.

I have teaching experience (and specifically, language teaching) but it's not something I would enjoy doing as a career. I've also heard teaching is quite bad for people with mental health issues because it can make you feel exhausted, depressed and anxious. Although the situation isn't as bad in Australia, I have it on good authority from friends in the sector that it's headed that way in some respects.

If it didn't work out, it would also be tricky to get out of teaching and into another career path. In my current job I encounter teachers trying to escape teaching all the time...

have you also considered counseling or social working. You would be in a unique position to help others, although it could be a bit close to the bone?

The idea of "giving back" is nice, but I wouldn't want to do counselling or social work. Again, I don't think that would be very good for me emotionally.

I should point out that one of the reasons I chose my degree subject was the breadth of situations it can be applied to. It's not a vocational degree in that you graduate and get a job in a directly-related field. Some people are surprised to hear that language degrees are in high demand generally, not just for jobs such as interpreting / translation or language teaching :)

I wouldn't want to be using languages as a main component of my role, although they do come in handy from time to time in the job I have right now and I don't mind that.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have worked and studied in Europe (Italy and Switzerland, the French-speaking part.) I did a WHV in 2013/2014 and lived in Perth with my fiancé for a year. It was tough because I couldn't apply for career-focused jobs due to the conditions of that visa. My PMV was approved in September and activates in January. I am relocating in April.

This is something my partner and I have been planning for a long time, we've been together for 7 years. He is Australian and his family are based here (with whom he is very close, they are lovely people) and I don't feel tied to my family in the UK so it makes logical sense to be near his.

Before I met my SO I would never have considered moving to Australia, but I'm now glad to be doing so. Australia will be the fifth country I've lived in and it's a place I can happily spend my life - having spent 24-36 months years there cumulatively over the past 7 years, I have realistic expectations.

I moved to Perth after an extensive stay living in various locations in France. The work situation wasn't great at that time and taught French language at night school as well as doing advanced French conversation to interested individuals which worked out rather well. Something to consider, if work isn't as easy to obtain in Perth as anticipated.

You've lived in a similar number of countries to me. Probably best to see how Perth pans out longer term, before thinking about spending one's life here. I've seen a lot come and go over the time here. It can feel a bit ' limited' after a time, but maybe it works for you.

I personally would not consider a business at this stage of the economic cycle. Unless it is something with very low outlay.

Anyway good luck with your endeavours.

I moved to Perth after an extensive stay living in various locations in France. The work situation wasn't great at that time and taught French language at night school as well as doing advanced French conversation to interested individuals which worked out rather well. Something to consider, if work isn't as easy to obtain in Perth as anticipated.

You've lived in a similar number of countries to me. Probably best to see how Perth pans out longer term, before thinking about spending one's life here. I've seen a lot come and go over the time here. It can feel a bit ' limited' after a time, but maybe it works for you.

I personally would not consider a business at this stage of the economic cycle. Unless it is something with very low outlay.

Anyway good luck with your endeavours.

Thanks for your advice.

I didn't make it very clear in my initial post - although we have lived in Perth, we are still undecided as to where we want to settle down. His family are from Queensland so that's where he's been living for ~2 years. Our wedding is also in Queensland so I will be there for at least a couple of months before we choose where to go.

Archived