What to do?

bluejays

Hi All.

Been in Melbourne for 7 years and we love it, that was until 2 months go when my dad had a stroke my mother in law diagnosed with cancer and my mum passed away suddenly went back to the UK luckly my brother has been great sorting stuff out but i realized how much i missed my family and friends thinking of moving back but with Brexit at the moment it would it be silly to leave secure and well well paid jobs for the uncertainty back in the UK, due to go back at Christmas for a holiday maybe things might be clearer then.

Anybody else been in a similar situation.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The future is not uncertain because of Brexit. The future is ALWAYS uncertain, because it is the future and nobody can see into the future. Make your decision based upon real factors, not some fallacy that you can see into the future or once could. Indeed many people would say it is a gamble to leave secure well paid jobs, no matter what direction of travel.

We took our decision to move back about this time two years ago. Just have to weigh up the pros and cons for you. I would not be making the decision near Christmas or after a holiday though, it is better to make this decision in the cold light of day not post holiday and certainly not post Christmas holiday.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @bluejays I am sorry to hear of your bad news over the last 2 months. I think at these times we tend to try and rush in to things. You say you love Melbourne so do you think it could be guilt talking rather than you really wanting to go back. I know at times like this we can feel really helpless. I don't think your holiday back home will make you feel any different to how you do now. It sounds like it may be a case of depression as well. Huge hugs :hug:

Brexit is likely to be the least of your worries! I agree with Bungo - the future is always an uncertain country - who would have thought that all those folk absolutely coining it in WA with the mining boom would be lining up at Centrelink now for example. Giving up a well paid secure job to move to Australia in the first place was probably a greater risk but people still do it every day. Just decide where you want to be because of all those factors. The fact that you love living in Australia will probably mean that you don't really want to leave.

You could do what we often suggest in the reverse direction - take a career break and rent out the house! And if it's only the job that is the issue then start applying for the ones you'd kill to get, lots of people have got jobs before they returned. You'll have your citizenship now so nothing need be forever.

I'm very sorry for your loss and the difficult ongoing situation though - it's not easy! You are so lucky to have a sibling!

Hi All.

Been in Melbourne for 7 years and we love it, that was until 2 months go when my dad had a stroke my mother in law diagnosed with cancer and my mum passed away suddenly went back to the UK luckly my brother has been great sorting stuff out but i realized how much i missed my family and friends thinking of moving back but with Brexit at the moment it would it be silly to leave secure and well well paid jobs for the uncertainty back in the UK, due to go back at Christmas for a holiday maybe things might be clearer then.

If you are selling up and bringing cash back with you, the uncertainty of brexit may be to your advantage. What sort of work do you both do?

There are a number of things going on in the question you posted and with anything like this, it is best to address them one by one. Break it all down in to bite size pieces, as they say.

We are in the same situation however; we have been here one year less than what you have. We are not too worries about Brexit as we plan to move back in another year or so (depending on finances) and hope by then, the dust will start to settle. There will be jobs about and for us; we will just have to live within our means. At the end of the day, there will be a bit of a down turn, but the UK is big enough to weather it. In a few years people will look back and see that it was not all the doom and gloom that was initially thought.

A few years ago, we had a call saying that my father had suddenly passed away. It was a mad rush to get back and it took us 5 days before we got back to my mother to give her the support that she needed. That was hard, being so far away and not being able to help at all. Recently we had family over, staying with us. It was a shock to see how much they had aged and how old they were looking (not in looks, but physically). You then start to realise how much time has gone by and how much you have missed. You will never be able to get that time back and seven years is a long time.

The people that we have told say “why?” and that we are “daft”. It is OK for them, seeing family and having the support network around them as and when they want it, but being over here is different. The way we see it is that now that we have the passport, we have the option to come back later if we want to. Something they do not have. Also the kids have their passports and they can do what they want. So we do not see our time here as a waste, more of an adventure that most cannot have. We are also in the situation where we have our place in the UK paid for, so we can move straight into that if we need to.

What a shocker of time you have had,, because of that i dont think it is wise to make a big decision right now, especially when you say you are happy and settled here ,with great jobs. I would give it 6 months and let your emotions calm down before even debating it.

Almost daily i read on here not to leave a good job and happy life for another country and with the added pressure of all the family issues you have had ,i would imagine it is easy to make a rash decision that may back fire in the future on you and your happiness.

I also think you miss people more when you have just been back to see them and had to say Goodbye all over again ,so that's another reason i would leave it a good 6 months before debating a move.

Cal x

Hi All.

Bluejays ,can I cut straight to the chase .

The world is very unstable right now ,and it ain't going to change .

If you have a stable job ,and you are happy STAY WHERE YOU ARE .

If you were in the u.k ,I would be telling you the same thing .

Visit every 12 months ,but knowing what I know now ,I would be more ruthless ,especially where my family are concerned .

Myself and my lovely wife have been left well and truly carrying the load here in the u.k .

Do you live with GUILT or REGRET ? ...

Now that's a good question ?

Myself and my siblings used to be close ...not anymore ...very sad .

If you return ,in my experience ,you may keep and have any closeness with perhaps 50% of the people that you have in your head right now .

Best man at my wedding ...dont see him

And yet some of my mates from infant and junior school iam still very close with .

In relation to my family right now , I have stepped up to the plate time after time after time,not only emotionally but financially ..because that's what siblings do right ?.....WRONG .

Its taken me a long while to cotton on.....meeting new people every day in my job ,it shocked me how common this is within families

There are a number of things going on in the question you posted and with anything like this, it is best to address them one by one. Break it all down in to bite size pieces, as they say.

We are in the same situation however; we have been here one year less than what you have. We are not too worries about Brexit as we plan to move back in another year or so (depending on finances) and hope by then, the dust will start to settle. There will be jobs about and for us; we will just have to live within our means. At the end of the day, there will be a bit of a down turn, but the UK is big enough to weather it. In a few years people will look back and see that it was not all the doom and gloom that was initially thought.

A few years ago, we had a call saying that my father had suddenly passed away. It was a mad rush to get back and it took us 5 days before we got back to my mother to give her the support that she needed. That was hard, being so far away and not being able to help at all. Recently we had family over, staying with us. It was a shock to see how much they had aged and how old they were looking (not in looks, but physically). You then start to realise how much time has gone by and how much you have missed. You will never be able to get that time back and seven years is a long time.

The people that we have told say “why?” and that we are “daft”. It is OK for them, seeing family and having the support network around them as and when they want it, but being over here is different. The way we see it is that now that we have the passport, we have the option to come back later if we want to. Something they do not have. Also the kids have their passports and they can do what they want. So we do not see our time here as a waste, more of an adventure that most cannot have. We are also in the situation where we have our place in the UK paid for, so we can move straight into that if we need to.

It depends on what you do. Brexit won't be in effect for two and a half years.

If you work in banking you could be on dodgy ground.

If you are medical, you may be spoilt for choice.

It depends on what you do. Brexit won't be in effect for two and a half years.

If you work in banking you could be on dodgy ground.

If you are medical, you may be spoilt for choice.

There has always been and there will always be up's and down's in the job market. However, it is unlikely that Brexit will cause mass job losses or people starving on the streets. There are always employment sectors that will weather better than others in hard times. There is always work about and sometimes we might have to swallow a little pride and take a lower paid or position role.

There has always been and there will always be up's and down's in the job market. However, it is unlikely that Brexit will cause mass job losses or people starving on the streets. There are always employment sectors that will weather better than others in hard times. There is always work about and sometimes we might have to swallow a little pride and take a lower paid or position role.

That's good advice, would you be willing to take it if your industry went down the gurgler because somebody made decisions based on a load of lies, that seems to be a unlikely option , the last time I checked Sydney' wasn't in the EU.

I think it might be a bit like all those Tories who claim that they can live on benefits easily as they sit in front of their log fire.

That's not really the point. The question here is whether someone should deliberately migrate into a recession in their industry, and my answer would be no. Stay where you are safe. However, equally there may be opportunity.

Absolutely right, all this speculation, guesswork and doom mongering is just that. There is no recession, there is no downturn there is no war that we were promised. There are no guarantees in life, do what you feel is right for you.

Absolutely right, all this speculation, guesswork and doom mongering is just that. There is no recession, there is no downturn there is no war that we were promised. There are no guarantees in life, do what you feel is right for you.

There are no guarantees, quite right, but anyone with some commonsense can write down the likely pros and cons for any set of choices and then make a judgement about the likelihood of the cons coming to pass, if you really are unhappy where you are then making a leap of faith might rectify things but it might come with long term consequences that might be really difficult to offset.

If you are determined to make the leap why not wait to see how this brexit plays out in the spring.

If it's any help we came back because of a difficult job market for us but now I'm starting to have second thoughts on some days as the politicians here become more xenophobic and ever more mendacious and puerile.

There are no guarantees, quite right, but anyone with some commonsense can write down the likely pros and cons for any set of choices and then make a judgement about the likelihood of the cons coming to pass, if you really are unhappy where you are then making a leap of faith might rectify things but it might come with long term consequences that might be really difficult to offset.

If you are determined to make the leap why not wait to see how this brexit plays out in the spring.

If it's any help we came back because of a difficult job market for us but now I'm starting to have second thoughts on some days as the politicians here become more xenophobic and ever more mendacious and puerile.

Well that's a dilemma, where will you go to get away from xenophobic, mendacious, puerile politicians ?

Well that's a dilemma, where will you go to get away from xenophobic, mendacious, puerile politicians ?

Well Iceland seems to be on the cusp of electing a anti corruption govt, the Pirates and there is Podemos in Spain, and do we have to just accept cr*p, self centred, self aggrandising people to run our lives for us, and do we have to just accept racism as a raison d'etre for national policy

yes brexit has caused chaos back at home. every UK born citizen must share their bed with a refugee (towels optional but encouraged). there are only 85 jobs left in England and these are mainly paper rounds, with sharp inclines on the routes. all women now have moustaches and rationed lunch consists HP sauce sandwiches or a mouldy apple. Added to this, there are herds of fire breathing T-Rex wandering the country attacking anything they see and mainly eating cute kittens and old people. I hope Farage is happy.

Nah, nothing has changed. stop panicking and crack on.

That's not really the point. The question here is whether someone should deliberately migrate into a recession in their industry, and my answer would be no. Stay where you are safe. However, equally there may be opportunity.

Totally do not agree. The original question included Brexit as a concern when going back. So any thoughts on this, that may provide both sides of the argument are very valid in helping people make their decision. As there is always two sides.

That's good advice, would you be willing to take it if your industry went down the gurgler because somebody made decisions based on a load of lies, that seems to be a unlikely option , the last time I checked Sydney' wasn't in the EU.

I think it might be a bit like all those Tories who claim that they can live on benefits easily as they sit in front of their log fire.

You bet we would to keep the food on the table and keep the kids clothed. Would be willing to take anything as long as it meant keeping the wolf from the door.

Well Iceland seems to be on the cusp of electing a anti corruption govt, the Pirates and there is Podemos in Spain, and do we have to just accept cr*p, self centred, self aggrandising people to run our lives for us, and do we have to just accept racism as a raison d'etre for national policy

No, certainly not, it's part of the reason we left Australia.

yes brexit has caused chaos back at home. every UK born citizen must share their bed with a refugee (towels optional but encouraged). there are only 85 jobs left in England and these are mainly paper rounds, with sharp inclines on the routes. all women now have moustaches and rationed lunch consists HP sauce sandwiches or a mouldy apple. Added to this, there are herds of fire breathing T-Rex wandering the country attacking anything they see and mainly eating cute kittens and old people.

Dundee was exactly like this when I had to go there once

Dundee was exactly like this when I had to go there once

no offence but I'd rather live with fire breathing T-Rex's than Adelaide. the worlds first outdoor retirement village where everyones lawn has the same length grass! more culture in my yoghurt I had this morning..

no offence but I'd rather live with fire breathing T-Rex's than Adelaide. the worlds first outdoor retirement village where everyones lawn has the same length grass! more culture in my yoghurt I had this morning..

I'm completely with you on Adelaide, absolutely no appeal for me whatsoever and parts of it will die once Holden goes.