Buying a Rolex in the UK for Oz

gra001

Guys, I'm going to buy my daughter (Aussie resident) a Rolex in the UK and take over when I next visit. Some are telling me I'll need to pay an import tax and others that I can reclaim the VAT.......advice welcome, thanks.

If you are a woman, or you are taking a lady friend, how would they know it's not just your watch?

If you are a woman, or you are taking a lady friend, how would they know it's not just your watch?

The box?

OP you will not be able to claim a UK VAT refund as you are a UK resident. It doesn't matter that you are taking the item offshore. This is unlike the Australian GST system which would allow a resident to reclaim GST if they take goods overseas with them.

There could be import tax, yes.

Edited by Bungo

The box?

OP you will not be able to claim a UK VAT refund as you are a UK resident. It doesn't matter that you are taking the item offshore. This is unlike the Australian GST system which would allow a resident to reclaim GST if they take goods overseas with them.

There could be import tax, yes.

You post the box.

Guys, I'm going to buy my daughter (Aussie resident) a Rolex in the UK and take over when I next visit. Some are telling me I'll need to pay an import tax and others that I can reclaim the VAT.......advice welcome, thanks.

Interesting present though. Why did you choose a Rolex watch? I would love it if my dad popped over with a Rolex. Can't see it happening though.

Edited by newjez

Interesting present though. Why did you choose a Rolex watch? I would love it if my dad popped over with a Rolex. Can't see it happening though.
My two boys love watches, just back from New York where I bought my eldest son a Submariner and waiting for delivery of the same for my youngest who is UK based. So, that leaves my daughter who is not so much a watch nut but I figure it's a lovely thing to have and will remind them all of their old man.

My two boys love watches, just back from New York where I bought my eldest son a Submariner and waiting for delivery of the same for my youngest who is UK based. So, that leaves my daughter who is not so much a watch nut but I figure it's a lovely thing to have and will remind them all of their old man.

We did the same for our 3, bought them all a special watch. Does your daughter definitely want a Rolex? our daughter preferred an Omega. If you definitely know what she wants then go for a Rolex, but our daughter changed her mind when she tried different makes on, and we rather enjoyed being with her while she chose which she liked best.

Enjoy your visit.

Why not buy in Dubai on the way through tax free and legit. I bought my Tag Heuer Carrera in Hong Kong from a dealer my brother knows, 6 months old and less than 1/2 price, still had all protection on and was unworn including paperwork box etc. My brother has bought loads of watches from them including a rose gold IWS Portuguese and they have Rolex's of all ages and types. Where I will be buying my next watch however my Tag is still going strong.

We did the same for our 3, bought them all a special watch. Does your daughter definitely want a Rolex? our daughter preferred an Omega. If you definitely know what she wants then go for a Rolex, but our daughter changed her mind when she tried different makes on, and we rather enjoyed being with her while she chose which she liked best.

Enjoy your visit.

Our two sons chose their special watches for their 21st birthdays.

Kids these days don't wear watches.

I bought my kids nice SWATCH watches on the way home from Europe and none of them wear them.

They just get the time from their phone if they want to see the time.

That's so true Parley. Do you wear a watch? I haven't for years.

No. I'm not wearing one either at the moment. The battery ran out and never got around to replacing it.

It just becomes a habit to wear one but no real need to these days.

Something like Apple Watch may take over but traditional watches will probably die out eventually as it is mainly older generation that like to wear a nice watch these days.

No. I'm not wearing one either at the moment. The battery ran out and never got around to replacing it.

It just becomes a habit to wear one but no real need to these days.

Something like Apple Watch may take over but traditional watches will probably die out eventually as it is mainly older generation that like to wear a nice watch these days.

I have three 'special' watches which I never wear now. My parents gave me one on my 16th birthday then my 21st and I have a Rolex which was my Dad's who left it to my brother and when he died he left it to me. It must be over 60 years old but works perfectly.

I have three 'special' watches which I never wear now. My parents gave me one on my 16th birthday then my 21st and I have a Rolex which was my Dad's who left it to my brother and when he died he left it to me. It must be over 60 years old but works perfectly.

I have two. A Rolex I bought myself when I was about 32 and a Cartier my husband got my for my 40th. Currently though, I am wearing my fitbit and I get the time off that.