Australian equivalent of Maplin? (replacing various power cables)

richev

So our big move is just 62 days away now! (not that I'm counting)

My thoughts have turned to power cables and adaptors for our UK electricals. On Amazon.co.uk I've been able to source some power strips that have four UK sockets, and a cable that plugs into an Australian power outlet, plus a few traditional travel adaptors.

However, for things like laptops I'd like to replace the cable that goes from the transformer block to the power outlet (examples of the two different styles are shown below).

HTB1e0MKGVXXXXatXVXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

I can find a couple of suppliers in the US, but P&P is expensive. So I was wondering, is there an Australian equivalent to Maplin that would sell this kind of thing at a sensible price?

HTB1aEZLGVXXXXbNXFXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg

HTB1aEZLGVXXXXbNXFXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg

HTB1e0MKGVXXXXatXVXXq6xXFXXX7.jpg

Edited by richev

Dick Smith is gone now only online as bought by Kogan. Charity shops yes, went to RSPCA and cleared them out of cables, $1 a pop.

Warning to anybody reading, beware of the cheap plug adaptors from EBay

image.jpeg

We very nearly had a fire due to one of these, smoking and welded itself to the socket. Others have blown with a bang with all runnng very hot. Very poor product in guessing not designed for 240v. Just be careful, maybe cheap but for a good reason.

S

image.jpeg

Edited by srg73

Have you tried eBay? They are not cheap buying for the UK but you might be better off getting them whilst you are in Australia and using your power strip to keep you going until they arrive.

UK Price - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-Long-Sony-PS2-PS3-Slim-Console-2Pin-AU-Australian-Fig8-AC-Mains-Power-Cable-/401153242073?hash=item5d6698b3d9:g:SrwAAOxyOlhS1R97

Australia Price - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AU-Plug-2-Pin-2Pin-Laptop-Adapter-AC-Power-Charger-Cord-Cable-Lead-2-Prong-NEW-/191536034748?hash=item2c986ff3bc:g:7aoAAOSwqu9VA7hd

I'd go eBay every time. Go for quality. Cables in-store in Australia are way overpriced, and very often are just cheap imported goods anyway - I got an adapter from Coles supermarket a while back that was $15 and clearly just cheap and nasty :-/

If you're willing to wait until you arrive, I second the charity shop idea. If you need to be prepared, there really is no good alternative to Maplins.

So our big move is just 62 days away now! (not that I'm counting)

My thoughts have turned to power cables and adaptors for our UK electricals. On Amazon.co.uk I've been able to source some power strips that have four UK sockets, and a cable that plugs into an Australian power outlet, plus a few traditional travel adaptors.

However, for things like laptops I'd like to replace the cable that goes from the transformer block to the power outlet (examples of the two different styles are shown below).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33856[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33857[/ATTACH]

I can find a couple of suppliers in the US, but P&P is expensive. So I was wondering, is there an Australian equivalent to Maplin that would sell this kind of thing at a sensible price?

Cut off the pre moulded plug off, strip back the cable to expose the coloured surrounds to the actual wire and fit replacement plugs from Bunnings, be careful about connecting the correct positive, negative and earth cables to the correct terminals, you will find there are various options go for the screw top connector.

Avoid multi gang strips as you can overload a socket and cause a fire.

Check Internet for confirmation before you do it but I remember it as

Red or brown = live

Blue or black = negative

Green or green and yellow= earth

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

Oh no! They were there in January (albeit I admit looking a little less stocked than I remembered!) JBHiFi????

JB still around. Local store in frankston seems to have a permanent 'sale' banner attached to the front windows though.

• 2 weeks later...
Cut off the pre moulded plug off, strip back the cable to expose the coloured surrounds to the actual wire and fit replacement plugs from Bunnings, be careful about connecting the correct positive, negative and earth cables to the correct terminals, you will find there are various options go for the screw top connector.

Avoid multi gang strips as you can overload a socket and cause a fire.

Check Internet for confirmation before you do it but I remember it as

Red or brown = live

Blue or black = negative

Green or green and yellow= earth

Just be careful as replacing a plug, if you are deemed a non-competent person, would void your insurance should that plug cause a fire or personal injury

Plugs and extension cord sockets may be replaced by a non-electrically trained person, provided the

person has been trained and found competent to fit plugs and sockets according to the manufacturer’s

instructions. But in Qld: competent persons are not permitted to replace plugs and sockets regardless of whether the item is tested before it is returned to service

http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/formspublications/publications/Documents/electrical_testing_tagging_frequently_asked_questions_4861.pdf