Drug use in WA the worst in the world

Guest Guest109139

Guest Guest109139

This is quite bit of an eye opener and I was really surprised by it, I knew drug use (especially ice) has been an issue, particularly in the country areas and towns in WA such as Esperance, Kalgoorlie and even Margaret River, but not quite as much as calling it the worst in the world.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/31629754/judge-says-wa-is-worst-in-world-for-meth/

Guest Guest109139
Do you think it is the boredom ?

I would say is the combination of boredom, hopelessness and perhaps the inability to break free or move on from a narrow minded mentality of a small country town. And using drugs would get rid off that trapped feeling type emotions and thoughts for a short period of time until the next time when then it becomes a habit.

Having grown up in a Queensland bush town in the 1960's I am not surprised by this. My abiding memory was the sheer dullness. I understand that obesity is a big problem in country towns as well now. I suspect that the roots for this would be similar to the drug problem?

Haven't looked into the demographic of the drug users but my perception of young people in Perth was they did pretty much the same as young people world wide - they go out of the pull, they get drunk, they take drugs, they party. The boredom factor in Perth hits when you're no longer doing that!

Why would Perth have more drug users? Cashed up bogans and spoilt brats galore. It is a myth in my opinion that drug use is associated with poverty and deprivation, those living in poverty are the ones the authorities become aware of because their drug use is a 'problem' because they don't have the money to support it plus they are targeted by law enforcement.

My two cents worth. Growing up in Perth drugs were always socially acceptable, amongst all ranks of life. In the UK I found it mainly used by the lower classes and the trendy. Not so much by your run of the mill people. I think this acceptance makes it easier for other harder non intravenous drugs to get a grounding.

that, social circumstances along with accessablity and affordability.

ICE is one of the cheapest and most profitable and supply resiliant illegal drugs, cook houses can be operational overnight from scratch and product cycle to market is cheap and short (i.e. quick)

It is a myth in my opinion that drug use is associated with poverty and deprivation, those living in poverty are the ones the authorities become aware of because their drug use is a 'problem' because they don't have the money to support it plus they are targeted by law enforcement.

half true, ICE is relatively cheap to purchase (a 8 ball hit is cheaper than a pack of cigarettes) relative to other drugs

I have some exposure to this drug with my past work in Crime, I did not see many cashed up & well off ICE users, but what I did see was lower socio economic, vulnerable and challenged victims (co-morbidity, alcohol, substance, unemployed and poor education) it is an unvirtious cycle.

Anyway, organised crime (pronounced the Bikies) run it in SA and they are creating a gathering storm of social disaster.

that, social circumstances along with accessablity and affordability.

ICE is one of the cheapest and most profitable and supply resiliant illegal drugs, cook houses can be operational overnight from scratch and product cycle to market is cheap and short (i.e. quick)

half true, ICE is relatively cheap to purchase (a 8 ball hit is cheaper than a pack of cigarettes) relative to other drugs

I have some exposure to this drug with my past work in Crime, I did not see many cashed up & well off ICE users, but what I did see was lower socio economic, vulnerable and challenged victims (co-morbidity, alcohol, substance, unemployed and poor education) it is an unvirtious cycle.

Anyway, organised crime (pronounced the Bikies) run it in SA and they are creating a gathering storm of social disaster.

That was my point, as a Youth Justice Worker I saw exactly the people you refer to, very many had been through local authority care - these are the drug users that are involved in crime, as well as or because of the drugs. These are the stereotypical 'druggie'.

Substance users come from all walks of life though with it being no more of a problem than drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco so they never come to the attention of the authorities or the media (unless they are a politician). As a high school teacher in the early 1990's I can assure you it was as rife in the staff room as the classroom.

I don't have experience of Ice though - either professionally or personally! If it is cheap then that is going to increase the use.

It does make me worry for my children.

Don't know how old your children are but parents who worry about their children usually have the least to worry about.

The greatest protection from drugs is self-esteem and resilience which good parenting will build. That said all kids are prone to experimentation and some can be simply unlucky - make sure your kids can talk to you about drugs, it's not unknown for basically good kids to get into medical emergencies and be afraid to call help until it's too late.

Educate yourself, if you're not already - not all illegal drugs are equally 'bad' or 'risky' and a blanket - 'drugs are evil' approach doesn't work on clued up teenagers. Lots of advice online on how to talk to kids about drugs.

My son (13) is studying drugs at school this term ('we're doing drugs this term mum' gave me a moments heart failure :) ) so lots of 'did you know dolphins eat puffer fish to get high' - no, but did you know bees eat cotton fruit to get drunk...conversations in our house at the moment.

It's be wrong to say I don't worry but I worry equally about drink, sex, RTA's & him wasting his life on video games!

Don't know how old your children are but parents who worry about their children usually have the least to worry about.

The greatest protection from drugs is self-esteem and resilience which good parenting will build. That said all kids are prone to experimentation and some can be simply unlucky - make sure your kids can talk to you about drugs, it's not unknown for basically good kids to get into medical emergencies and be afraid to call help until it's too late.

Educate yourself, if you're not already - not all illegal drugs are equally 'bad' or 'risky' and a blanket - 'drugs are evil' approach doesn't work on clued up teenagers. Lots of advice online on how to talk to kids about drugs.

My son (13) is studying drugs at school this term ('we're doing drugs this term mum' gave me a moments heart failure :) ) so lots of 'did you know dolphins eat puffer fish to get high' - no, but did you know bees eat cotton fruit to get drunk...conversations in our house at the moment.

It's be wrong to say I don't worry but I worry equally about drink, sex, RTA's & him wasting his life on video games!

Probably, or quite close to one of the best posts I've read on here.

My children are primary, but as a teacher I'm aware of the effect of ICE in the community in which I work. Lady Rainicorn you're absolutely right with what you say, we can only protect them to a certain degree and encourage openness. I just know personally of two individuals whose lives were decimated by drug use in their youth, one a particularly talented footballer.

After my sons first GCSE I asked him how it went. He said he was really nervous until his friend gave him a pill, and that really calmed him down.

All my panic buttons started going off, but I remained calm. Any idea what this pill was I asked?

One of these he said

http://www.boots.com/en/Kalms-Tablets-200-Tablets_2275/

Not 100% happy about it, but it could have been worse.

How can they say the war is all but lost?

You spend money to fight it. Christ - what's more important - drug free children or a football stadium?

Declare war on it and destroy it.

Exactly, you can't just throw in the towel because it's too hard. It needs to be stamped out.

Archived