Price of groceries...

Richard01

The price of groceries bothered me when I was over on hol at xmas

Of course, its dangerous doing comparisons with low UK prices, but when the same product costs 3-4 times that of the UK prices it has got me thinking

Is there really a better way to shop for these branded products in Oz? or, is it better to find an unbranded equivalent

Does the price of groceries affect you?

No, Other than toiletries and detergents but I get round that by visiting Aldi. Everyday items such as bread 80cents a loaf and never more than $1.75, Milk $1 a litre, eggs $2.40 a dozen. Other stuff such as canned goods, I stock up when on special, often at half price. T. Bone, rump, never more than $9.99 a kilo and often less. Lamb leg $6.99 kilo, leg pork, $5.99 kilo

What costs 3 to 4 times more ? I do think when you read that higher number you sometimes forget its dollars and not GBP, i know i did when i first arrived. The trick over here is to buy stuff when its on offer , which you will find is every few weeks, Lynx deodrant is a good example, normal shelf price $5 per tin, on offer every 4 or 5 weeks in both Coles and Woolys for $2.49, it makes sense to buy an extra few tins then. As i say this is just one example but the same can be said for the majority of supermarket items.

Also bear in mind prices vary state to state. Where in Aus did you visit ?

On the flip side but in a similar way my daughter and i have been looking at UK clothes websites due to a visit later in the year and she keeps saying wow, thats only 20 dollars, but when i explain its GBP and convert it approx for her, she realises many of the items are a similar cost to what she pays here.

Cal x

I almost never pay full price for toiletries. I either stock up when they are special (which they are regularly) and if I need something before it's on special again I go and get it from Chemist Warehouse, which is usually significantly cheaper than the supermarket full price. You might need to try different brands as some UK brands attract a premium here but there are other products that are basically the same thing in different packaging.

As for food, pantry items again I stock up when they are on special. Bread I don't find expensive but things like fruit loaf I will buy which ever brand is on special that week. So far I have never had a week where at least one brand isn't half price. Fruit and veg can vary greatly in price from week to week but as a rule if you eat seasonally you can get things at an equivalent price to the UK. Especially if you shop somewhere other than the supermarket.

I do find it hard to buy anything in the supermarkets in Oz when I have returned from a visit from the UK ... I wonder round just thinking I can't pay that ... Food prices are very expensive in Oz, but as someone mention in an earlier post Aldi seem to have the right idea.. It's not only the cost the choice of different products is second to none in any UK supermarkets..

We did our first full shop this weekend. We did a mix of Tesco and Aldi, the later was a nice surprise based on when we last went in one 8 years ago as WA is only just about to open its first.

We bought enough groceries for 2 weeks as well as a fair few extra things as we had nothing in the kitchen - so an oven tray, some storage containers, some utensils and things like that.

In total we spent just over £70. Compared to what we would have spent a month ago back in Mandurah, I would say it less than half. The things we did notice were more expensive were salmon and beef. Oh, and wine is a bit more expensive for the very cheap end, but better value for the mid range and above. Fruit and veg are incredibly cheap - particularly the offers. Aldi has a deal of offering 6 veg for 25p each. So, we got a kilo of onions, a kilo of spuds, a large cabbage and some other things and each was just 25p.

The only pain we have is that Windsor only has one supermarket in town - Waitrose - so, for a supermarket, it is a trip down the M4. But, the little independent shops are amazing. We have an incredible fish mongers that does a massive freshly picked and dressed crab. This thing would easily feed 2 and there £3 each.

The price of groceries bothered me when I was over on hol at xmas

Of course, its dangerous doing comparisons with low UK prices, but when the same product costs 3-4 times that of the UK prices it has got me thinking

Is there really a better way to shop for these branded products in Oz? or, is it better to find an unbranded equivalent

Does the price of groceries affect you?

If you are trying to buy UK brands you will pay more. Best to get used to Aussie equivalents which will more often than not be comparable.

Processed foods cost more here too so it is better to avoid them as far as possible. Probably healthier too.

• 4 weeks later...